Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Personally,I would never advertise online for childcare simply because pedophiles have internet access. The ONLY way I would have someone I didn't know stay with my child is if that person was referred to me by someone I knew personally that I could trust. JMHO.
I've gotten some wonderful sitters from this site in the past. They even do background checks. Anyway, there are very few pedophiles who are 17 year old girls. Plus, I work at home so I'm not actually leaving - just shutting the door. I'm only willing to actually leave the house after I get to know someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM

25 posts, read 20,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Yes, it's just inappropriate. Also, we're not Christians at all, so I kind of felt like if someone was so Christian-intensive that they couldn't write 5 sentences without getting that in there, that they might not be a great fit for us.
I'd give them a "Rock on" right back and go on with the sunny day. That's just me I guess.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
LOL, you mispelled 'little'...you're fired
Joking aside, I would love to have a sitter or nanny who could familiarize them with a second language so early in life. That sort of experience is good for growing brains. On the other hand, I would also like to surround my child with properly spoken English, which better prepares them for school.

No one here is talking about complicated grammar and an extensive vocabulary. Certainly answering an ad properly does not even require a high school diploma.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
You have to give an ad some time to work. A day or two is just getting the attention of desperate folks. The ones you are looking for probably already have a job or are busy with other things. Online and classified ads have to run a few times. Hiring involves time and work from the employers side as well, don't forget!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Just got a new reason for rejection today - candidate mentioned being president of her school's Young Republicans in her cover letter. Maybe she was hoping to weed out liberal parents?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
I would also forgive it if they were not native speakers (although I did want a native speaker of at least one of several languages). However, these were not non-native speakers. I mean I got things like: "HI MY NAME JENNY CALL ME WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE JOB!" and worse.
I also would be lenient on the grammar. I have sent email responses via my phone and because the screen is small and/or my finger accidentially hit the wrong word. I would later read the message and it was a mess.

My greatest concern would be how the person disciplined and reward a child. We all are reared differently so you would need to find someone who has similiar upbearing as you own. If you do not, you will come in conflict with each other about your child. Educating the child is really your responsibility; not another individual's.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I also would be lenient on the grammar. I have sent email responses via my phone and because the screen is small and/or my finger accidentially hit the wrong word. I would later read the message and it was a mess.

My greatest concern would be how the person disciplined and reward a child. We all are reared differently so you would need to find someone who has similiar upbearing as you own. If you do not, you will come in conflict with each other about your child. Educating the child is really your responsibility; not another individual's.
One doesn't deliberately educate a young child - they learn language on their own from people around them. They also believe pretty much anything they are told. We're very educated and I will admit that I'm snobby when it comes to that. I would not want my child to be exposed to poor grammar and uneducated ideas. And he loves to be read to - have you ever heard someone uneducated try to read a book? It's not exactly engaging. I know lots of parents who use nice immigrant ladies, and I know those ladies take excellent care of the children.. However, I require something different. It's a parent's prerogative.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
"Very educated" is clearly subjective, I see.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
OK, it's just a childcare job for my own kid, but I've had about 50 applicants so far (after only one day of an ad), and rejected every single one of them. Here are some of the reasons why:

No punctuation in the email
Bad grammar in the email
Overt and irrelevant religious references (i.e. = May the Lord bless you!)
Didn't live in the same town - or even a nearby town (even though that is listed as a job requirement)
Not available during the hours/days I specified
Not including information specifically requested (like the city or town you live in)

I guess it really IS hard to find people for a job. I'm even paying more than the going rate!
Where? Local newspaper classifieds or other?

And I sympathize with you. I know of a nursing facility where they're looking for a house keeper and a laundry person. At least all of the applicants could not pass a background check or a drug screen.

I had a boss before I began doing business for myself, he always said there were three prerequisites in looking for potential employees, the were in this order, walking, talking and breathing.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
One doesn't deliberately educate a young child - they learn language on their own from people around them. They also believe pretty much anything they are told. We're very educated and I will admit that I'm snobby when it comes to that. I would not want my child to be exposed to poor grammar and uneducated ideas. And he loves to be read to - have you ever heard someone uneducated try to read a book? It's not exactly engaging. I know lots of parents who use nice immigrant ladies, and I know those ladies take excellent care of the children.. However, I require something different. It's a parent's prerogative.
So you're saying you want someone well educated and provide and FREE second language tutoring/training courses for your child in an unsecured job? I don't think I would even apply for such a position because in my educated mind, you are trying to use me. You are trying to get two educators for the price of a baby sitter...just MHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment