Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
No, I understand perfectly. Also read her preceding posts... that's what she wants. Even as a college student, you are asking this person to teach this child proper English ( I'm okay with that) and teach your child a second language for free (not okay) at a job that is not promised to them to be steady (also not okay).

If you were a college student would you take a job like that knowing it's not guaranteed and you are not being compensated for teaching the second language? You can become a tutor at the university or privately and get paid for teaching a second language without the bother of dealing with a child. Let's not forget this college "student" has to pay the cost of college tuition and room and board.
English is not my child's second language, and I don't want anyone to "teach" it to him. Just to speak it when necessary. And you can NOT teach at a university or get paid well for teaching language without any qualifications. That's what I do for a living and I am almost 50 with 25 years experience and a PhD. I don't quite think a high school or college student qualifies for my job. And by the way, my job's also not steady, not guaranteed past 4 months at a time, and pays little enough that what I am paying for childcare makes a real dent in it.

Are you unemployed? Have you ever had a job? You seem very unaware of the current job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
I get it, that you want a certain person for the job, but the vibe I'm getting is that a high schooler would not be good enough for you, because if she or he were that intelligent, they are probably going to be working somewhere as an intern or pursuing college credits or the like. If you are going to be there during the babysitting hours, I think you need to slack up slightly on your requirements, but I understand you aren't really looking for advice but rather just to rant about the responses you've been getting so far. And it has been amusing.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I get it, that you want a certain person for the job, but the vibe I'm getting is that a high schooler would not be good enough for you, because if she or he were that intelligent, they are probably going to be working somewhere as an intern or pursuing college credits or the like. If you are going to be there during the babysitting hours, I think you need to slack up slightly on your requirements, but I understand you aren't really looking for advice but rather just to rant about the responses you've been getting so far. And it has been amusing.
Actually, I've already scheduled two high school kids. All they did was write a few sentences for a cover letter, not make any bad grammar mistakes or write all in caps, and provide all the info I asked for. If either one actually shows up, the job will be hers. Now comes the real test.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM

35,669 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
One that could follow basic instructions, obviously. I guess that's asking too much for some people.
with that attitude, I would not work for you... this is menial labor... not a highly educated nanny who will raise the kids... I have one grand who is lovely, great character and loves children.. and can't spell worth a darn.., raised in a small town w her mom and just not good at it, but would love her job n your kids-- keep looking momma.., maybe there is a retired school teacher who would work for you.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
English is not my child's second language, and I don't want anyone to "teach" it to him. Just to speak it when necessary. And you can NOT teach at a university or get paid well for teaching language without any qualifications. That's what I do for a living and I am almost 50 with 25 years experience and a PhD. I don't quite think a high school or college student qualifies for my job. And by the way, my job's also not steady, not guaranteed past 4 months at a time, and pays little enough that what I am paying for childcare makes a real dent in it.

Are you unemployed? Have you ever had a job? You seem very unaware of the current job market.
Actually, I assumed that English was the primary language spoken in your household. A student does not have to teach at the university but one-on-one tutoring in the home. I had friends did it when they were in college. One did it so well that word-of mouth by other students/children brought in good money for her...and they came to her.

With you being 50 years of age, I can assume this is not a preschooler but sounds to be a child 9 to 12 years old. With that assumed, teaching this child a second language during the "occasional" babysitting will be at the least basic in nature; not conversational second language, which you can do together at home with him/her anyway. It would be quality time together

You don't want a Christian or Repubican or Liberal or a HS student or a college student... What other restrictions do you have and did you make this clear in your ad?? Listing specifically what you DO want and what you EXPECT would help you narrow the field..eliminating a lot of people.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Actually, I've already scheduled two high school kids. All they did was write a few sentences for a cover letter, not make any bad grammar mistakes or write all in caps, and provide all the info I asked for. If either one actually shows up, the job will be hers. Now comes the real test.
You just posted a HS student or college student may not be a good fit for you Okay that's enough, I'm out of here. This is getting confusing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment