Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,680 times

Advertisements

I only know what a handful of people from high school are doing now. No one is particularly rich or famous that I am aware of, and I am doing ok. So no, I don't get jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
One of the great truths of age is when you realize it's all meaningless unless it's your life. We are all put here with different challenges and assets. It is what we choose to do with them that matters. I have classmates that are very rich and famous and some that 25 years later are still living hand to mouth and struggling. Both have good days and bad days. Both are sometimes insecure and sometimes proud.

We now choose to commiserate with the bad times and celebrate the good ones. Don't concentrate on what you 'think' you are missing out on. Appreciate what you have and look for what you want next and work towards that.

Use FB and other sites like that for keeping in touch, not comparing. You're life is not going to be what theirs appears to be. Also, the things on there are what people choose to share with the world. Not the insecurities, faults and guilty things to be kept to oneself.

GO BE YOU!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
I admit to being envious, but not jealous, which implies I'm acting out of fear or rage. Other people have wives, kids, homes and great jobs. My life is quite solitary, but I have to remind myself, I'm not a normal person either.

Alternately, I know people my age (late 30s), smart and talented people, still paying off student loans, unable to find steady employment, fighting medical problems, or divorced and raising kids alone. It can always be worse.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
With the exception of a few of my closest friends from HS, I really have no idea where most of my classmates ended up or what their socioeconomic situation is. I don't even have a Facebook profile, so, even though I could surely find many of them if I were to create one and do some browsing, I just don't really want to.

No jealousy here.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,516 times
Everyone is jealous of the most successful because people want what they can't have or don't have. I'm pretty sure people are jealous of you but you just don't know it.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
Luckily I have not had these feelings when looking back over my high school friends and facebook.
It does make my heart hurt when I see a friend from high school's marriage break up, etc, I remember what a sweet boy he was back in first grade, and even high school and wish things had turned out better for him.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
No, I always seem to be doing slightly better than other people in my graduating class. The ones I tend to be "jealous" of are the guys who are still around my age, fresh out of prison or a life of partying and not really putting any thought into their future, still landing the most amazing jobs. They have no more skills than I do, just better connections (a relative or party buddy who owns the business, etc.) I tend to think if I'da spent more time socializing or in prison and less time working, I'd be better off right now.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Based upon my life experiences so far, I suspect the most worthless among them are the most successful. The BS artists are probably all corporate big-wigs, the promiscuous women have all married (and perhaps then divorced) into wealth, and the bullies and thugs are now insane managers who make life hell for those under them. I really have no desire to yet again be reminded how the world actually works, so I make it a point to never attend any reunions or such. I don't know what happened to those I knew in high school, and I really don't care.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

That's why I had to delete some of the people I was laid off with in 2011 because i didn't want to get depressed seeing that they got a great job while I was still jobless

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Based upon my life experiences so far, I suspect the most worthless among them are the most successful. The BS artists are probably all corporate big-wigs, the promiscuous women have all married (and perhaps then divorced) into wealth, and the bullies and thugs are now insane managers who make life hell for those under them. I really have no desire to yet again be reminded how the world actually works, so I make it a point to never attend any reunions or such. I don't know what happened to those I knew in high school, and I really don't care.
That's pretty spot on. I have read bullies in school are already "trained" to be corp. sociopaths they have been tuning their skills for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment