Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Because a fair number of people have worked for good companies, have been treated well and do see reward for hard work. Others have worked for companies that just plain suck. Personal perspective plays out a lot in these discussions, and many assume that their experience can be generically applied.

There is truth to this but unfortunately my experience is that "good companies" have become increasingly rare. My last job was at a corp that was apallingly bad and I hated it. It took me 3 years and 2 dozen interviews to find a good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The truth is that most jobs are mind numbingly boring and those jobs that aren't are, to quote Jerry Seinfeld, "hard to get." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LCggmsCXk4
That or the jobs menial and have high burn out.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I'm one of the 70%. but I still find that number pretty high. There has to be some people that dont hate or love their jobs.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think that's a bit high. There is a difference in not enjoying your job and hating it. If people truly "hated" their job they would quit.
The quitting process can take a lot of time, because it is usually good to have another job lined up. Finding the new, better job is the wrench in the process, if you will.

If income wasn't an issue for me, I probably would have quit my job a long time ago.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Because a fair number of people have worked for good companies, have been treated well and do see reward for hard work. Others have worked for companies that just plain suck. Personal perspective plays out a lot in these discussions, and many assume that their experience can be generically applied.
Can you share with us some of these good companies? I would definitely like to land a job with one of them.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Can you share with us some of these good companies? I would definitely like to land a job with one of them.
That is a rather ambiguous question given that I was speaking in general terms about the individual experience.

In my career, prior to my current job, I worked for a BioMedical engineering company and three pharmaceutical CROs. The BioMed company was a great environment, as was the first CRO. The second was a great work environment until they got bought out and the new owners ran it into the ground. The thired...ehh...was getting ready to begin the process of jumping ship when they ended up laying some of us off.

Even then, there may be some variability in one's experience in a given company. The scond company I worked for was massive (global presence). They treated their employees well in general, but I had the fortune to work with some very cool people who were a huge help to my professional growth and were simply a pleasure to work with. I am sure there were others in the same position as myself that worked with people who were just the opposite, and likely had a different experience there than I did.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I never had a job I hated because I read the job description carefully and ask the right questions during the interview

Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Workplace morale heads down: 70% of Americans negative about their jobs, Gallup study shows
'Bosses from hell' are giving U.S. workers the Monday blues. Gallup's 2013 State of the American Workplace report had grim findings, including that 70% of those surveyed either hate work or are completely disengaged, and perks don't help.

Read more: Workplace morale heads down: 70% of Americans negative about their jobs, Gallup study shows* - NY Daily News
Great, I was just thinking about how much I hate my job today. Glad to hear I'm in good company!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I never had a job I hated because I read the job description carefully and ask the right questions during the interview
That has nothing to do with hating a job; most of the time it is management causing the job hate, not the job itself.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner View Post
Some of it could be that what drove people to certain careers, has now been taken out of the equation. I know some probation officers who just push through bare bones written reports, because they have such a high caseload. The reason they enjoyed the profession was to meet with the individuals and delve more into their history/story. They could then form detailed reports and really try to help the individuals. The way it is now with less people, they are basically on a continuous assembly line in front of a computer typing reports.

this is similar to what has happened to education. education has become a somewhat paper pushing profession with lots of attention paid to data. there are some days i feel more like i'm engineering a child rather than teaching the child. education has become very data driven and robotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment