Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times

Advertisements

Car salesmen also work a lot of hours every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Car salesmen also work a lot of hours every week.
And it is VERY cut-throat. You basically have salespeople fighting it out over the chance to talk to you so you can buy a car. My brother worked at one and it was an experience that I will not duplicate. They are also feast or famine like many commission based jobs. If you a great at it you do well but if not, it isn't worth it.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Auto Sales is sink or swim and many simply do not last.

It is also very competitive and sometimes the strongest competition is in house.

Just about everybody knows somebody in the business.

Another thing is there are often nights and weekends which might be great if you're single... not so great if you have family.

One of my childhood neighbors was a very successful auto salesman... had a company furnished car to the day he died.

Being African American he faced a lot of discrimination for decades starting in the business in the 50s'

One thing he said that always stuck with me is to develop your own clientele... those that are loyal to you and not the Dealership. He started selling Chevrolets and was selling Cadillac when he passed.

Since he was denied floor time and a desk... he started to sell Chevrolets strictly to the African American Community and would write the deals in peoples home and bring them into the Dealership... the other salespeople were OK with that.

Later, when management changed or there were shakeups in the Sales Department he had his sales volume to back him up and the owners knew it... he could just as easily sell from anywhere and his customers were extremely loyal.

For many... auto sales is a revolving door... for those that are good, they can earn a good living at it with lots of time put in.

My neighbor always had his home address and phone number on his card... customers could call him anytime and he had one of the those terrific, sincere and jovial personalities...

I was raised around the auto business and Dad and Grandfather were almost always working... they also had loyal customers and sold to generations of the same family... they also had their home phone and address on their business cards because it instilled a level of trust with the customer.

Still remember my neighbor driving home brandnew cars with big bows on the roof for an anniversary or graduation gifts that he would personally deliver to the lucky recipient. Loved the Corvettes and Convertibles!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Auto Sales is sink or swim and many simply do not last.

It is also very competitive and sometimes the strongest competition is in house.

Just about everybody knows somebody in the business.

Another thing is there are often nights and weekends which might be great if you're single... not so great if you have family.

One of my childhood neighbors was a very successful auto salesman... had a company furnished car to the day he died.

Being African American he faced a lot of discrimination for decades starting in the business in the 50s'

One thing he said that always stuck with me is to develop your own clientele... those that are loyal to you and not the Dealership. He started selling Chevrolets and was selling Cadillac when he passed.

Since he was denied floor time and a desk... he started to sell Chevrolets strictly to the African American Community and would write the deals in peoples home and bring them into the Dealership... the other salespeople were OK with that.

Later, when management changed or there were shakeups in the Sales Department he had his sales volume to back him up and the owners knew it... he could just as easily sell from anywhere and his customers were extremely loyal.

For many... auto sales is a revolving door... for those that are good, they can earn a good living at it with lots of time put in.

My neighbor always had his home address and phone number on his card... customers could call him anytime and he had one of the those terrific, sincere and jovial personalities...

I was raised around the auto business and Dad and Grandfather were almost always working... they also had loyal customers and sold to generations of the same family... they also had their home phone and address on their business cards because it instilled a level of trust with the customer.

Still remember my neighbor driving home brandnew cars with big bows on the roof for an anniversary or graduation gifts that he would personally deliver to the lucky recipient. Loved the Corvettes and Convertibles!
That is key to being successful in sales. The ability to find your own clients and not depend on the walk ins from your employer means you don't live or die based on their ability but on your own ability. Any customers that your employer is able to bring in is just icing on the cake. If you can do this, you will be successful.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
In 2011 the average car sales person in the US made $42,000, or $3,500/month, so you are right in the ballpark if you turn out to be average. Most dealers offer a discount to employees, such as the Ford "x plan". I was a supplier to them for a while and was given that benefit, but used it to my advantage to get a similar discount on a competitor's vehicle.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
If car salesman works on avg over 52 hours a week that just too much time so it's not gonna work out for me. I prefer a 40 hour work week with occasional PAID OT if needed, up to 48 hrs a week.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If car salesman works on avg over 52 hours a week that just too much time so it's not gonna work out for me. I prefer a 40 hour work week with occasional PAID OT if needed, up to 48 hrs a week.
Let me save you time. Don't apply for any sales jobs then because they all require more than 40 hours, more like 50 hours a week.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I used to be a very extroverted person doing bmx freestyle in my H.S. years and hanging out with the dudes. But my crossdressing habit inhibits my social life and sometimes hurts my technical jobs, especially when factory workers put me down as gay...

I can talk the talk about what good cars are and reliability and what to look for in a used car.
Maybe if you didn't post pictures of yourself online in a dress than former coworkers wouldn't have known.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
No

Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
So, let me see now. A cross dressing mechanical engineer on SSDI who hasn't worked in 5 years and refuses to work more than 40 hours a week . . . and he wonders why he doesn't get work.

Last edited by NewJerseyMemories; 06-29-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment