Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I didn't assume anything, I actually asked if you've dealt with conflict before, rather than assumed?

So what's the other side of the story? Are you just looking for a reason to quit? I don't understand how you seem to be able to deal with such things like screaming and physical violence but a (public, unfortunately) correction is worthy of quitting over.

Surely you see why people are somewhat confused?
Yea, that's a very fair question. Well first of all I did start another thread here, things have been going downhill. Plus the job itself is a deadend job. It has its perks, but even those may slowly be taken away from me. So yes, overall, my satisfaction with this job is declining rapidly.

As far as why this particular incident upset me so much more than anything else, to me it's because of the forum. He basically embarrassed me in front of other people. That has NOT happened before.

So when people screamed at me, threw stuff at me, whatever, to me that shows a PERSONAL fault. You obviously have some issues you are dealing with on a personal level, so if anything I just feel sorry for you. I can actually deal better with those type of people, as long as those actions do not continue (and often they did not after I made it clear it was not acceptable).

What my boss did here, it shows a fault with his management style. It's a PROFESSIONAL fault, and that I cannot stomach in a professional setting. Personal faults we can hash out and talk it over and whatever. Professional faults, those probably are not going away.

at least, that's how I see it. A lot of people will think it's backwards, but that's my view of things.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Exclamation No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
So basically deal with it or quit, right? I love corporate America.
You are a Professional so you deal with it in a professional manner, behind closed doors and in private.
You do not quit.
Koale

Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,641 times
Update: Well I got very lucky. I contacted a temp agency I've frequently worked with before, and they told me an old client would be happy to have me back for a 6-9 month assignment. Initially they wanted me to start this Monday, but they said they'd be ok with me starting in 2 weeks, so I can give my current job notice. Just did so right now. Feels good.

Sure there's a lot of risk leaving a full-time job for a temp job, but I'd make in about 6 months what I make in a year here, and I figure the way things are going I wouldn't last past a year at this current job anyways.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some solid advice.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Wink This wasn't aimed at you

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
XXX (my other boss) should have shown you this
This was being aimed at that boss. Was he in on the email traffic?

I wouldn't take it personally. I would however, go to boss XXX and make sure there isn't anything else that he /she hasn't showed you that could fire this guy up even more, or alternatively, you could approach the boss sending the email and ask him about your performance, and that you want to be the best you can be, would he point some of these missing issues out to you?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sometimes there's a difference between what you should do and what the right thing to do is. Sometimes you have to have a thick skin and suck it up. Sometimes in order to win the game, you have to lose a battle. Sometimes you just got to tell people what they want to hear - what ultimately counts is winning the game.

Not sure if this is one of those times but sometimes taking action will win you one point now but you'll lose five points down the road.

I agree...sometimes you just need to let things slide-maybe he was having a bad day-

And congrats on landing a new gig

Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
The OP has solved his problem, and the conversation is now over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment