Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times

Advertisements

Was just thinking.

I've posted a thread before on how I wish all job postings would posting the salary range and many responded that in doing so, you then lose the ability to negotiate the salary later. At least from the employers end or something like that.

So does that mean if a job posting has a salary range listed, you cannot negotiate beyond that point?

Has anyone ever done it with success?

Also, when applying for a job with a salary range posted of say $45k - $55k, what determines whether you will be offered the lower or the higher?

I ask this because out of the jobs I have gotten, none have had a salary range posted upfront and I usually didn't find out the wage until the offer came. Unless it was hourly, where I knew the exact wage upfront (no range).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Depends a lot on the employer. Governments and universities often post a range that is from $45,000-$70,000 (or whatever).The $45k number is for people with little experience, no time in service, and minimum qualifications. The top number is for people who have spent 20 years or so at that salary grade with that employer.

Initial placement is usually pretty formulaic. You get placed on the lowest step, unless you have years of qualifying service, exceptional experience, or additional credentials. This might put you up about 20%-30% of the way up the range, but rarely much more.

The custom for private employers varies wildly. As a rule of thumb they are more likely to hire into upper levels of the salary range, but the range is usually smaller, as they are advertising only the lower end to begin with. In other words, they would not advertise 45-70, but only 45-55.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We show the range, and don't say this but cannot by policy offer more than the midpoint. The salary must be between starting and midpoint and we offer based on how badly we want the person, and whether there are any candidates "close".
If this person stands head and shoulders above the rest we will go ahead and offer midpoint but tell them that's as high as we can go.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
I can speak directly about the federal range (GS pay scale).

Offers are typically at step one of any grade. Usually the lowest point in the scale. You can only negotiate if:

--you have a lot of experience doing the SAME job
--you are currently doing the SAME job in the private sector for a lot more money
--the job you are going to is difficult to fill
-- the job you are going to is not entry level, or even mid level in most cases
-- you previously worked for the federal government at a higher pay level.

Right now, many gov't entities are under hiring restrictions due to sequestration. Its not a great time to ask for more money.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Yes, I have negotiated and received more than the posted range. This was a private company. They offered the top of the scale. I asked the company recruiter if that was the best she could do. She said,yes, not an option to go higher, that's why they put in the ad, etc; so I said I'd think about it. I also mentioned that I was a sure thing: I had very specific credentials and experience that I knew they wanted. She called back the next day with a better offer.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM

273 posts, read 502,945 times
thread hasn't been updated since July, but i'll comment anyways. someone may find it helpful...

its hit or miss.. i applied to a position that listed salary and gave my salary requirements above the listed range. the countered with the top again, and when i was close to accepting it they said the position wasn't available anymore. instead they were looking for a more mid-level position to be filled. the recruiter that brought me in said he noticed they listed the same position again, but with a lower salary rate ?!@!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment