Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,399 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 and work in an area with all middle-aged women. If I don't give the proper ritual salutation or valediction then I get chastised. A hostile work environment if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
If I am walking by someone, I will always say good morning/ goodbye to them, whether they are my employee or not.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I'm 25 and work in an area with all middle-aged women. If I don't give the proper ritual salutation or valediction then I get chastised. A hostile work environment if you ask me...
You'd probably hate living where I live! Even walking into a doctor's waiting room, the bank or the Post Office line it's customary to deliver a general, "Good Morning/Day/Evening/Night" to everyone. Very often exchanged just passing someone in a general area too, not to mention exchanging it with the cashier in the supermarket, etc. etc. It's very nice and goes back to general good manners. "When In Rome ..."

Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Well, GoldyViolet, this is my reasoning, but I guess it's not important in corporate America. I mean if you have 15 direct reports, I understand, but if you only have 2. I just feel like maybe I'm not taken seriously or something to not even deserve a hello or a goodbye. It's happened in two places now, so that's why I am pondering this. It may not be a marriage, but we still see A LOT of each other. Sigh.
Sounds like you are not confident in your position. Not showing you the proper respect by checking in and out every day? How dare they!

Do you also stop by every 15 minutes and make sure they are doing things your way?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
I had a boss who expected this. It was weird. He wouldn't talk to me all day, but wanted me to say goodbye at the end of the day. It was only because he wanted to make sure I didn't leave right at 5:00. I was married, and my boss was an alcoholic who wanted to go out and get a drink or 5 at 5:00. My ex-wife didn't like it too much and neither did I. Now I'm in a cube and I do say goodbye to my coworkers who sit near me just to not be rude. I never say goodbye to my boss because his office is down the hall and he doesn't micro manage me, thank God. No need to do this unless someone makes a point of it, would be my advice.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
If the people are around or I'm walking by their offices on my way out, sure. But I'm not making any special trips around the building just to say hi/bye (nor would I expect it). My current job, I'm on a client site where a bunch of us all sit together in one large office. So its just natural to greet people as they come and leave.

At my last job, my reports were in cubicles just outside of my office. So I would say hi/bye to whoever was there on my way out. I reported to an executive that was on the other side of the building - so there may be times where I wouldn't even see him for an entire day or more.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I had a boss who expected this. It was weird. He wouldn't talk to me all day, but wanted me to say goodbye at the end of the day. It was only because he wanted to make sure I didn't leave right at 5:00. I was married, and my boss was an alcoholic who wanted to go out and get a drink or 5 at 5:00. My ex-wife didn't like it too much and neither did I. Now I'm in a cube and I do say goodbye to my coworkers who sit near me just to not be rude. I never say goodbye to my boss because his office is down the hall and he doesn't micro manage me, thank God. No need to do this unless someone makes a point of it, would be my advice.
I don't think people are all tracking. The OP isn't the boss, and is asking why the BOSS isn't coming to HER, the employee, to say hello and goodbye. Maybe as the boss, they have better things to do with their time, or they don't feel like accounting for their whereabouts to their employee.

"My boss never came by to say bye to me as she left before me every day. The other co-workers sometimes would sometimes would not. Same thing in the morning, no hello unless she needed something, or I walked by her office. In my new job, I'm the second to last office in the hallway. The boss is the office next to me (closer to the entrance), but there is a good bit of space between us. He doesn't say hello or goodbye to me either"

Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I don't think people are all tracking. The OP isn't the boss, and is asking why the BOSS isn't coming to HER, the employee, to say hello and goodbye. Maybe as the boss, they have better things to do with their time, or they don't feel like accounting for their whereabouts to their employee.

"My boss never came by to say bye to me as she left before me every day. The other co-workers sometimes would sometimes would not. Same thing in the morning, no hello unless she needed something, or I walked by her office. In my new job, I'm the second to last office in the hallway. The boss is the office next to me (closer to the entrance), but there is a good bit of space between us. He doesn't say hello or goodbye to me either"
I understood the original post. My boss doesn't either, or does so rarely. But he's a friendly guy in general and I in no way take offense to it.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
Nope... unless I happen to be taking the elevator down to the parking garage with them. I have one coworker who is actually a pretty good friend, so I might say goodbye to her, but I don't go out of my way to find her to say it.

I have days where I don't even see my manager face to face, and the specifics of my job mean I spend a lot of time working independently. I could see how if you worked in a more collaborative environment, or in specific industries, it might be more typical to do this.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
In my first job out of college, we had an open office environment - everything was glass and you could see everyone. On top of that I sat right by the exit facing the exit to the hallway to the elevators. My boss sat behind me and if she left, she had to walk by my desk, as did everyone in my department and mostly everyone from other departments.

In my last job I had a cube. My boss never came by to say bye to me as she left before me every day. The other co-workers sometimes would sometimes would not. Same thing in the morning, no hello unless she needed something, or I walked by her office. In my new job, I'm the second to last office in the hallway. The boss is the office next to me (closer to the entrance), but there is a good bit of space between us. He doesn't say hello or goodbye to me either, for the most part. I get in before he does and make a point to go by his office a few minutes after he gets here to say good morning. If he leaves before me, he doesn't say anything, if I leave before him, I walk by his office and say goodnight.

I'm confused. At the last job, I thought it was just my boss, I figured she was just that way. But now at this job too. There is another lady that sits next to me (the last office), he doesn't say anything to her either.

Does this happen to any of you? Often? What's the reasoning? Am I doing something wrong?
At my job we make a point of it. Some say hi or bye more often. I'm a quiet person, so unless I make eye contact with you I'm probably not going to say much of anything. But there is a routine of saying hi, then bye at the end of the day.

In a larger company you're probably not going to get this type of treatment though. The department I'm in is only like 20 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment