Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

In my first job out of college, we had an open office environment - everything was glass and you could see everyone. On top of that I sat right by the exit facing the exit to the hallway to the elevators. My boss sat behind me and if she left, she had to walk by my desk, as did everyone in my department and mostly everyone from other departments.

In my last job I had a cube. My boss never came by to say bye to me as she left before me every day. The other co-workers sometimes would sometimes would not. Same thing in the morning, no hello unless she needed something, or I walked by her office. In my new job, I'm the second to last office in the hallway. The boss is the office next to me (closer to the entrance), but there is a good bit of space between us. He doesn't say hello or goodbye to me either, for the most part. I get in before he does and make a point to go by his office a few minutes after he gets here to say good morning. If he leaves before me, he doesn't say anything, if I leave before him, I walk by his office and say goodnight.

I'm confused. At the last job, I thought it was just my boss, I figured she was just that way. But now at this job too. There is another lady that sits next to me (the last office), he doesn't say anything to her either.

Does this happen to any of you? Often? What's the reasoning? Am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
In my first job out of college, we had an open office environment - everything was glass and you could see everyone. On top of that I sat right by the exit facing the exit to the hallway to the elevators. My boss sat behind me and if she left, she had to walk by my desk, as did everyone in my department and mostly everyone from other departments.

In my last job I had a cube. My boss never came by to say bye to me as she left before me every day. The other co-workers sometimes would sometimes would not. Same thing in the morning, no hello unless she needed something, or I walked by her office. In my new job, I'm the second to last office in the hallway. The boss is the office next to me (closer to the entrance), but there is a good bit of space between us. He doesn't say hello or goodbye to me either, for the most part. I get in before he does and make a point to go by his office a few minutes after he gets here to say good morning. If he leaves before me, he doesn't say anything, if I leave before him, I walk by his office and say goodnight.

I'm confused. At the last job, I thought it was just my boss, I figured she was just that way. But now at this job too. There is another lady that sits next to me (the last office), he doesn't say anything to her either.

Does this happen to any of you? Often? What's the reasoning? Am I doing something wrong?
I supervise a number of people. There's a little bit of a power thing and a little bit of a MYOB going on here: if I go out of my way to say hello or goodbye all the time, it begins to appear that I *must*. If I'm unequivocally your boss, I may or may not feel like I need to take that time or account for my whereabouts, when in reality I only have to keep my supervisor satisfied.

A few jobs ago, I actually had a boss say 'so and so says you didn't say anything and just left-he was worried about you.'

So and so worked for me, but apparantly didn't get that memo, and when I talked to them said, 'oh, but you were checking in and out all the time.' They had begun to expect it as the norm, as if I HAD to check in and out with them.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Interesting. I see you mention "checking in." I guess the bosses feel that by saying hi/bye they are checking in/out with us which they don't deem necessary. This whole American corporate culture, ugh!

Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
If my boss was still in the office I would never leave without asking if they needed anything else before I left. If they are in a meeting or not in their office then I just leave. If I need to get out by a certain time for something then I would have already told them that.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
I don't mind saying hello on the way in, but I try to avoid goodbyes. The reasoning: You sometimes get stuck doing tasks after hours if you start conversations when the work day is done. Also, best not to let the whole world know what time you're leaving, even if it's on time/late.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
If I see them and if I like them, then I do. If not, then it's no big deal for me.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I always makes sure my boss sees me first thing in the morning. I generally just leave at the end of the day. That way my boss knows I'm at work on time and there is no reason for him to assume I'm sticking around after quiting time.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM

In all of your responses, it doesn't seem that you or your bosses make an effort...if it happens, it happens, if not, I'm gone! I just find it weird. Maybe I'm crazy? I guess I'm asking more if you were the boss, do you make any effort to say hi/buy to those you supervise?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
In all of your responses, it doesn't seem that you or your bosses make an effort...if it happens, it happens, if not, I'm gone! I just find it weird. Maybe I'm crazy? I guess I'm asking more if you were the boss, do you make any effort to say hi/buy to those you supervise?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Sorry, it's been a long a week and I'm tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment