Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by employee12 View Post
Employees who are paid less than $23,600 per year ($455 per week) are nonexempt. (Employees who earn more than $100,000 per year are almost certainly exempt.)->I am a senior cost accountant earning 97K a year without any bonus

regularly supervises two or more other employees, and also-> no
has management as the primary duty of the position, and also,-> no. I am not a manager
has some genuine input into the job status of other employees (such as hiring, firing, promotions, or assignments).-> hell no !

all I am doing is crunching numbers all day long, providing some scorecards and reports that nobody is looking at.
my work is quality and they tell me I am experienced and I know what I am doing blahblahblah ....can they still fire me because I refuse to do overtime even though there is nothing wrong with the quality of work ?
Again, as long as your classified as exempt, you are not working o.t. The real question is can they fire you because you refuse to work the expected hours?

Did you sign a contract? Is the expectation laid out somewhere that you agreed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,150 times
how much I make a year or an hour is not the point. question is whether I can do something to get them off my case or can they actually fire me for not working overtime.

i see your point that "if somebody makes 100K they need to work overtime because they make so much money ...i mean why would they even come here and ask those questions ...they already make a lot of money ..let them work overtime .." this logic is flawed ...just because somebody cracked the system and knows how to get to 100K point ..does not mean he needs to sign off his freedom.

i work on average 70hrs a week

Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Your visa status is tied to the employer so you need to find another position with reasonable hours where the visa would be applicable. Keep in mind that your current visa doesn't have an indefinite length so you will need to deal with that at some time in any case.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
i work on average 70hrs a week
A 70 hour week periodically or episodically (eg: quarterly reports, Joe is in hospital etc)... is not an issue.
A 70 hour week regularly means you are being abused.

If the position is described (in the fine print) of the contract as actually being a $30/hr base
with a very generous $35,000 bonus plan... 70 hrs average per week is still onerous.

Quote:
how much I make a year or an hour is not the point...
Yeah it is. The number of hours frames the CONTEXT for whether or to what extent you have
a right to object/legally act about the number of hours required to earn the dosh.

Quote:
...question is whether I can do something to get them off my case
or can they actually fire me for not working overtime.
That answer lies somewhere in the triangle of 1) the STATE law there, 2) your contract language...
and 3) what a judge might be persuaded to rule.

Good luck.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-06-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Employees who are paid less than $23,600 per year ($455 per week) are nonexempt. (Employees who earn more than $100,000 per year are almost certainly exempt.)->I am a senior cost accountant earning 97K a year without any bonus

regularly supervises two or more other employees, and also-> no
has management as the primary duty of the position, and also,-> no. I am not a manager
has some genuine input into the job status of other employees (such as hiring, firing, promotions, or assignments).-> hell no !

all I am doing is crunching numbers all day long, providing some scorecards and reports that nobody is looking at.
my work is quality and they tell me I am experienced and I know what I am doing blahblahblah ....can they still fire me because I refuse to do overtime even though there is nothing wrong with the quality of work ?
If that description is correct, you are most likely NOT exempt, you can't be forced to work OT(more than 40hrs/wk) without OT compensation, OT may still be mandatory depending on your work contract, which given that position, you probably have.

If you don't have a contract, they can fire you due to the way you cut your hair.
If you have a contract, there are listed reasons for termination, and possibly any buy-out if they decide you are no longer needed.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I maintain perfect attendance and do a good job.. that makes it harder for them to fire someone for simply not working overtime and being able to deny them unemployment. I also put myself in a job that minimizes overtime to help them out, since it's a 4-crew rotation, meaning all 168 hours of the week are covered and only absences need to be covered for.

You are salary though I don't know what I'd do in your case since you probably don't have set hours. Get a different job? The more people sit there and take it the more the employers will do it.. of course in this 'healthiest ben bernake economy ever' they can easily replace anyone.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I am exempt and I disagree.

I am fine working 60 hour weeks,
But not all of us are fine working 60 hour weeks. Also, the fact that employers are able to pressure employees to work such long hours is one of the main reasons why unemployment is so high.

Quote:
as there will be times I can work 20-30 and still get paid the same. I am in a position that is a legit salary position and I only refer to jobs that have a legit reason to be salary.
In my job, and most other "exempt" jobs, if you work only 20-30 hours, you have to use vacation time to get you up to 40 hours.

Quote:
If folks who are salary do not like this, then they should stay as individual contributors or stay out of positions that are typically salary and let those who enjoy the flexibility live happily ever after.
But there needs to be some middle ground for people whose skills are in white collar fields, but don't want to work ridiculous hours on a regular basis.

Quote:
I have so much more freedom as exempt than when I was non-exempt. I would not want to go back.
Most exempt employees have no freedom. Most of us are still expected to report to work ontime and not leave work early, and not take a longer lunch break than what is given to us.

Quote:
Also OP, you may want to read the whole page, especially this part.
Exempt professional job duties.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

Sounds like you may just want to let someone else have a job that you certainly do not appreciate. I know there are many people who would love to earn $97k and work some extra hours because of it.
I don't make $97k.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But not all of us are fine working 60 hour weeks. Also, the fact that employers are able to pressure employees to work such long hours is one of the main reasons why unemployment is so high.

In my job, and most other "exempt" jobs, if you work only 20-30 hours, you have to use vacation time to get you up to 40 hours.

But there needs to be some middle ground for people whose skills are in white collar fields, but don't want to work ridiculous hours on a regular basis.

Most exempt employees have no freedom. Most of us are still expected to report to work ontime and not leave work early, and not take a longer lunch break than what is given to us.

I don't make $97k.

I am not going to refute all your points, but looks like you need to work for a better company. While I can not leave early daily, as my employees will become frustrated, if I need to take a few hours here and there as needed then it is no problem. I come in around the time I say I will and leave in the same manner, unless there is a need to stay late.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
If that description is correct, you are most likely NOT exempt, you can't be forced to work OT(more than 40hrs/wk) without OT compensation, OT may still be mandatory depending on your work contract, which given that position, you probably have.

If you don't have a contract, they can fire you due to the way you cut your hair.
If you have a contract, there are listed reasons for termination, and possibly any buy-out if they decide you are no longer needed.
Read the rest of the law.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Read the rest of the law.

What is missing that applies here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment