Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,056,412 times

Advertisements

its expensive to hire and also frustrating if you have to go through multiple employees so they wanna make sure they get the right person. not everyone needs to hire someone today maybe they can afford to take their time. also if multiple manageres want to interview you maybe someone is on vacation or out of town.

i know when your looking for a job you want to start asap wanna know where you stand and its understandable but to thegm they wanna get the right employee they dont feel like us, i need a job even once i ladn a job i gotta wait 3 weeks to get paid we really gotta get this thing rolling. they are in no rush most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,417,910 times
Here's a great example. I'm in the middle of an interview process now.

It started with a phone interview two weeks back.

Next, they sent me this personality assessment which was not like any I had seen. Usually those tests are pretty easy to answer "correctly", but these questions did not have any clear answer as far as I could see. Anyway, I filled it out and submitted it to them.

A week later, they called me in for a face-to-face. The interview consisted of an aptitude test, a computer skills text, and two face-to-face interviews (one with the HR rep and the next with the manager). I asked at the end of the interview what the next step would be in the process. They said this was the final step and that they'd make a decision in the next couple days.

The next day, I hear from my references that they got called back. Great news, I thought!

Two days later, no word. That was, until 4:59pm. I get a call from the manager who interviewed me and she asked for clarification on a couple questions she asked earlier. Next, she asked if I could come in Monday for a face-to-face with the president of the company.

Now look, I'm glad that I've gotten this far. I honestly am. But WTF! I had to take off a half day this past week, and probably another two hours of PTO on Monday. I'm just glad I could even get the time off on such short notice (4:59pm on a Friday afternoon). These modern day interview processes take way too effing long and are too drawn out. They have no consideration for my time or what it might say to my current managers who are having to approve PTO for "appointments" during multiple weeks.

Hiring managers, GET YOUR $H*T TOGETHER!!!

Can I make it any more clear for you? I don't make enough $$$ to deal with this kind of BS. I imagine this drawn out process is going to bite you in the butt one day, whether it's losing out on good candidates or people learning about your process and just not applying altogether.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,746,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Here's a great example. I'm in the middle of an interview process now.

It started with a phone interview two weeks back.

Next, they sent me this personality assessment which was not like any I had seen. Usually those tests are pretty easy to answer "correctly", but these questions did not have any clear answer as far as I could see. Anyway, I filled it out and submitted it to them.

A week later, they called me in for a face-to-face. The interview consisted of an aptitude test, a computer skills text, and two face-to-face interviews (one with the HR rep and the next with the manager). I asked at the end of the interview what the next step would be in the process. They said this was the final step and that they'd make a decision in the next couple days.

The next day, I hear from my references that they got called back. Great news, I thought!

Two days later, no word. That was, until 4:59pm. I get a call from the manager who interviewed me and she asked for clarification on a couple questions she asked earlier. Next, she asked if I could come in Monday for a face-to-face with the president of the company.

Now look, I'm glad that I've gotten this far. I honestly am. But WTF! I had to take off a half day this past week, and probably another two hours of PTO on Monday. I'm just glad I could even get the time off on such short notice (4:59pm on a Friday afternoon). These modern day interview processes take way too effing long and are too drawn out. They have no consideration for my time or what it might say to my current managers who are having to approve PTO for "appointments" during multiple weeks.

Can I make it any more clear for you? I don't make enough $$$ to deal with this kind of BS. I imagine this drawn out process is going to bite you in the butt one day, whether it's losing out on good candidates or people learning about your process and just not applying altogether.
My God, I would have been burned out by now. That's ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
I thought only the hiring for government jobs were long.

I applied in July and didn't get the job offer until December

Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,928 times
Ok, well I am still on hold here with my situation.

I was supposed to start next week and have my written offer presented to me, my drug screen done, and my background check done this week.

None of it happened this week.

I contacted my hiring manager and she is contacting ''them'' to see what is going on with the delay. She apologized and stated that the hiring process is ''complicated''.

Now I don't know if I start next week or not.

So now it's a month since my face to face and over 2 months since I applied.

Crazy.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,376,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

Don't underestimate how much HR jumps in and ties up this process, while they validate their jobs. I posted a little rant in another thread outlining how my HR department cost me 17 days in the hiring process.

When you see downsizing and layoffs, you ever see HR and "recruiting" departments get cut? Nope. They're the ones "managing" all the termination paperwork, making themselves busy, and wasting money and costing jobs. Uggh. Asshats.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,331,997 times
Yea I have found the hiring process to be the most dysfuntional, illogical, bigoted, and rude farce I have ever encountered and I think HR and their "theories" have a lot to do with it.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,928 times
The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,986,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And they weren't doing that in 1997? When jobs were plentiful?

Yet someone could submit a resume and get an interview in a reasonable period of time, maybe come back for a 2nd interview and than get offered a job, and get a letter in the mail with a sold written offer.

I tell you exactly what it is, it is HR people trying to justify their job but making hiring someone for a position like they're casting for Scarlett O'Hara in a remake of "Gone With the Wind"...LOL.

You don't need to interview 40 people in person for one job, you bring in 4 or 5 of the top candidates.

The bad economy has changed the game, that's all.

People were just as busy years ago.

Hey, I remember a time when all you would have to do for most jobs (and I'm talking decent jobs too) was fill out an application, have a quick interview, and get the job offer.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Hey, I remember a time when all you would have to do for most jobs (and I'm talking decent jobs too) was fill out an application, have a quick interview, and get the job offer.

July 21, 1975?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search