Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you smoke cigarettes?
Yes 64 43.84%
No 82 56.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're rationalizing that you're just as productive as the other employees.
I am just as productive. How would you know how productive I am. In fact, I knwo a lot of smokers who don't smoke at work except on their lunch break. Why do you think I wouldn't be? Or are you generalizing everyone into a corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM

242 posts, read 613,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
I am just as productive. How would you know how productive I am. In fact, I knwo a lot of smokers who don't smoke at work except on their lunch break. Why do you think I wouldn't be? Or are you generalizing everyone into a corner?
True. A lot of jobs don't give you but one break (Publix, you might be scheduled for a 7 hour day with a half hour lunch.... You don't get off that register until it's time for break.) I've known a few employees who didn't smoke but found many other creative ways to waste time not working.

I talked to a police officer who mentioned that he knew a smoker that stayed so fit that he could beat him at laps when they had to go do the fitness course. So there is something you don't hear about every day, because people want to target smokers and stereotype them into a category.

Taking it back to health for a second, being the smoker that I am, I can tell you that in my 30's (means I had been smoking 15 years) I used to go power walk 3 miles then come home and do areobics. Exercising the lungs like that did wonders helping me to keep up in volleyball.

Course now that I haven't been exercising these past 4 years, I'm starting to get a little weazy and I can tell the difference. But, I started bike riding again, and will start walking again too (soons I get a stunner thingy for protection), and I bet I will be able to notice more lung capacity in 1 month's time.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think that over weight;drinkers etc are more and more in the same boat as smokers.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
And some employers will simply NOT hire you for being a smoker! They will even go as far as perform a Nicotine drug test on you! Even the Dept. of Defense is considering banning tobacco use in the military. Ah how times have changed... I can finally breath fresh air.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Holy revived-from-the-dead thread, Batman!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM

1,019 posts, read 589,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Europeans who complain about having to step outside in mid-winter to have a cigarette or not being able to enjoy a quick puff with their espresso should spare a thought for their US counterparts.

In the United States, you can lose your job for lighting up -- even on your own time.

That's what happened to Scott Rodrigues of Massachusetts, and he is suing the Scotts lawncare company for violating his privacy and civil rights.

US smokers face threat of being fired - Yahoo! News (broken link)
If I was an employer, I would ban the entry of nicotine, or any form, in any convegance, in any amount, into my workplace. That would keep the skanks out.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I think it's funny that people are criticizing employers' decisions to help better your health. You might as well say, "I can't believe my boss is not allowing me to pollute myself with toxic chemicals that may kill me and others!"

It's amazing how nicotine can change people's minds and attitudes!
Amazing. Perhaps you missed the part where the person in the original article works for a company that manufactures poisons?

Last edited by yellowsnow; 08-24-2011 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
It is a slippery slope. And we are careening down, out of control. First the smokers and who is next? You are. Whenever you applaud someone else losing their rights, you are next in line. History repeats itself whenever we stop learning from the past. More than one or two people in 1938 Germany surely said, "Who cares? I'm not Jewish." My point is, there is or will be something wrong with all of us. You personally may despise smoking, but as long as it's legal, you should defend to the death someone's right to smoke...or even eat french fries. Here's what happens next.

Well, we shouldn't hire women or anyone with children. They need too much time off and babies are always at the doc for something. Then there are those pesky recitals, ball games, and parent teacher conferences. Women have too many emotional issues that distract them from work. And they require too much time off when they reproduce.

We don't need anyone with religious needs, commitments, that would necessitate extra time off either. Or people of certain ethnicity who could expect time off for extra holidays, etc.

Forget the disabled completely. They are expensive to insure and all those doctor appointments and special accommodations. More time off work. Just say no. And let's screen applicants for emotional disabilities as well. And yeah, let's check their credit too. After all, if they are down on their luck, surely we don't want them either.

Over 40? Hell no! We don't want to pay for their healthcare either. And after all, they are just a tick or two away from all the debilitating conditions of old age. Too expensive. They will need time off for all those doctor appointments.

If you are obese, have cholesterol or blood pressure problems, forget finding a job. You are too expensive. And as soon as possible, we will do genetic screening to see if you are carrying markers that indicate you might develop a serious health problem. You bet!

So, here's the one safe career bet you can make. Go into robotics. They are going to stop hiring people with all their warts, problems, issues, and unreasonable demands. It'll all be robots. If this isn't OK with you, go back and reread the first paragraph.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't smoke or drink but it's scary for a job to really have any 'say' over what you do in your life (outside of the corporation). I am sure the upper management will always be corrupt and do what THEY want--as long as the grunts 'tow the line.'

Banning smoking and alcohol during working hours is enough. What people do on their free time (as long as you show up clean and sober the next day) is not their business.
Very beautifully Spoken !

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Banning smoking and alcohol during working hours is enough. What people do on their free time (as long as you show up clean and sober the next day) is not their business.
I absolutely agree with Gypsy. I don't like the trend of putting disgusting images on cigarette boxes or excuses for "fat taxes". We're giving the authorities way too much power to limit what we can and can't do. Drugs I can understand because is simply illegal, but not the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I think it's funny that people are criticizing employers' decisions to help better your health. You might as well say, "I can't believe my boss is not allowing me to pollute myself with toxic chemicals that may kill me and others!"

It's amazing how nicotine can change people's minds and attitudes!
If people want to get healthy, they'll do it at their own pace. Talk about nanny states.

And no, I don't smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment