Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM

29,670 posts, read 24,714,844 times

Advertisements

I have no clue. I think it's different for each person. I've never made over $25/hr and I have everything I could want. Never had to stop and think if I could afford something. Of course, I'm frugal in most respects and look for good deals, especially with major purchases. Just bought a brand new Marshall full stack tube amp. After researching, I was able to save about $400 on the purchase, where most people just buy from the first option they see.

To me, it's not so much about how much you earn. It's what you do with that money that counts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,974,907 times
I would consider $40k single, $70k for a couple, assuming no kids and manageable debt, to be middle class in this part of TN. The problem is that achieving those wages when most jobs pay in the $10-12/hr range is difficult.

I think most people can achieve middle class in bigger cities in low tax states (think Houston, Dallas, Nashville) where taxes are low but wages are higher than the surrounding rural areas, and also in high wage, reasonable cost of living states like MN, NE, and IA. Very rural areas are no-no today. Coastal areas and very high cost areas are going to be much, much tougher.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM

21,685 posts, read 24,861,050 times
Average? I'd say $30/hour.

That's going to vary, of course, by geographical region. $30/hour in the Bay Area? Not so middle-class. I'd say $40/hour for the Bay and maybe $20/hour for some really inexpensive place.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,301,060 times
In Chicago I would say $60k

Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
In Chicago I would say $60k
I would say 50K is at least lower middle class around here. There are many wonderful suburbs and even parts of the city that are a great value. Many things can be had at cheaper prices if you know where to look, like food for example.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I would say 50K is at least lower middle class around here. There are many wonderful suburbs and even parts of the city that are a great value. Many things can be had at cheaper prices if you know where to look, like food for example.
Ok so maybe 50k-60k? I just feel in order to own property, a car, and have a good amount leftover, you would need somewhere around 60k.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Ok so maybe 50k-60k? I just feel in order to own property, a car, and have a good amount leftover, you would need somewhere around 60k.
If you want to start getting into property as a single income earner, than yes, I would agree. Even at 60K, I wouldn't jump unless I found a great deal on a small piece of property (with lower property taxes). Condos are a more financially suitable alternative.

Lots of folks own houses on less, but that leaves much less money for saving and disposable income. I love having extra money around so I don't ever have to worry about bills or affording major purchases, which is why I rent.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you want to start getting into property as a single income earner, than yes, I would agree. Even at 60K, I wouldn't jump unless I found a great deal on a small piece of property (with lower property taxes). Condos are a more financially suitable alternative.

Lots of folks own houses on less, but that leaves much less money for saving and disposable income. I love having extra money around so I don't ever have to worry about bills or affording major purchases, which is why I rent.
Right and I agree. But to me Middle class is being able to afford to buy property, a car, etc. Doesn't have to be anything luxurious, but I feel at the middle class level at the very least you can afford to get those.

For example at $45k myself, I can afford a car, but no way can I afford property. I consider myself between lower and middle class. But I don't have a car cause I rather spend that on better stuff.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM

45 posts, read 40,081 times
It also depends on what assets and debts you have. My mortgage is half what some pay for rent and I don't have any other debt so earning about 70K I can save about 30K and still spend all I want. Coworkers who rent and drive a POS car that keeps breaking down are in much worse shape so making 30K or so a year they are in poverty. Supporting a child if you didn't have a spouse would require a much higher income not to need charity. Supporting more than one child, paying child support and trying to save for a house would require both spouses to earn decent money maybe a total of 60K to start to break out of poverty.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,076,034 times
Many middle class wage earners are not paid hourly. It varies greatly by location. In Texas, the per capita income is $26k. It's very low compared to California's $44k. It's cheaper to live here though.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Fr...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment