Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Considering the brewery portion of the OP's restaurant, I really don't see where it would be a religious setting. At least, not around here in the Deep South.
I think some others are confusing the religious setting (as in adhering to Christian practices) versus a religious flavor (as in a theme park). If the praying is part of the entertainment like a waitress in a nurses outfit, or a maids outfit, or a college cheerleader. Until the OP explains the details, we have the conflict between religion, restaurant, brewery, old church building, etc. and that’s why I think some people are playing Don Quixote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I'm a server at a local restaurant/brewery that's in a former church. My boss has asked us to pray or have a moment of silence with customers when they sit down. (It's almost a mockery.) Do I have to?
I don't believe this. Not true.......

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Quote:
I'm a server at a local restaurant/brewery that's in a former church. My boss has asked us to pray or have a moment of silence with customers when they sit down. (It's almost a mockery.) Do I have to?
I would tell him to **** off and walk out of there so fast, I'd set the door hinges on fire.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Was that an understanding of one of your job duties when you took the job? If it was, then it's on you. If it wasn't, you can either still accept it or leave. Though I've heard that religious affiliation should not be considered for a job candidate, maybe you have a case there, I don't know.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times
Sorry I took so long to respond! I've been busy with life... and working at my new job. :-)
The boss is the owner, not just a manager.
It was easier (and more satisfying) for me just to find something else than to have this debate and stress over it.
Yes, he checked to see if servers were carrying through with this practice, and he caught me not doing it. I just got a disapproving look, and was asked again to "pray" in my own way.
Was it a mockery? He is a complicated man, but get this: There are spiritual symbols all over the restaurant, he mentions spiritual things in advertising and facebook posts, BUT there is also a level of mockery in beer and food names, etc. Only HE can truly say if it's serious or a mockery.
It was a Methodist and then a Baptist church.
It seems to be a very successful business, and I wish him the best, but I'm just not meant to work there. Exercising MY choice. At the time I posted this, I was all worked up about being "forced" to do this. I just choose to move on. I'm betting another server in the future will balk at this practice. THEY can carry the torch. I'm too busy being happy and stuff. :-)

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Good for you & thanks for following up! This one was driving me nuts. I just can't wrap my brain around it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment