Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times

Advertisements

I'd call and talk to a live body in HR.

New guy could be gone or is just a flake.

After that I'd move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Why didn't you call him at 1:15 when it became clear that he wasn't calling you?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Why didn't you call him at 1:15 when it became clear that he wasn't calling you?
I didn't realize he had an email signature with his number on it until the following day. On GMail, it truncates the signature out of the email, unless you click the button to show more. I looked on the company website, and his number wasn't there. It wasn't until the second day when I looked over the emails again that I realized his number was indeed in the signature.

Also, if you read my OP, his words were "around 1", so I wasn't sure what his margin of time was at 1:15.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
So the story goes like this:

About a year ago, I applied for a position in this firm. Within two days, I had a phone interview with HR, and then a week later, I had an interview with the manager I'd be working for. One more week later, I was offered a job. The problem was that I had another offer that was more in my field, paid better, and was MUCH closer to home. The HR person was kind of disappointed, and encouraged me to reach out to her when I was ready to apply again

A year later, a position opens up that is more in line with my skills and background. The HR person whom I had worked with left the company (verified this on LinkedIn and the company website). When I tried to apply online, I had a duplicate application error (showing my application from over a year ago). The problem was that I've done quite a bit in the last year (including the job I chose last year, and a couple of contract jobs that I did concurrently with the job).

I then emailed HR, and got a rather quick response from a recruiting manager apologizing for the error. He asked if I wanted to follow up on the phone. I agreed, asking him what time worked best for him. He responded, with his exact words being "let's shoot for Monday around 1." I'm usually used to having a specific time, but decided to keep an open mind. I've been telecommuting for the summer, so a daytime phone interview is no big deal.

Around 12:30, I keep my phone by my computer on the charger, in case he calls. No response. Finally, around 2:45, I email him to confirm that we're following up today (left out the time, as to not come across confrontational). No response.

This was three weeks ago, and I've emailed him every week asking for a status of my application. The rub is that, I don't even have an application in, as the system still isn't receiving my application.

I plan on calling him this afternoon (do you think that's a good idea?), but I'm not too sure what to say.

I'm in my early 20s, so I'm no industry veteran

Thank you, all!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the position doesn't start until September
Your standards are too high.

Keep in mind you're dealing with "H-R."

Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
I didn't realize he had an email signature with his number on it until the following day. On GMail, it truncates the signature out of the email, unless you click the button to show more. I looked on the company website, and his number wasn't there. It wasn't until the second day when I looked over the emails again that I realized his number was indeed in the signature.

Also, if you read my OP, his words were "around 1", so I wasn't sure what his margin of time was at 1:15.
Around 1:00, for a job interview/HR contact means you dial the phone at 12:59.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Around 1:00, for a job interview/HR contact means you dial the phone at 12:59.
Did you even read the text you quoted?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For whatever reason the company is no longer interested in you. Sorry, but best you move on. They've had ample opportunity to respond to your messages and no point beating that dead horse. Good luck the next time around!
I agree 100% with you. Obviously, the HR person received the OP's emails. He hasn't responded, therefore the OP really needs to move on.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Did you even read the text you quoted?
Yes I did. I stand by my post. Show punctuality and attention to detail in the job hunt. Exceed expectations, don't slide by with the minimum. Do not demonstrate a lack of caring.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes I did. I stand by my post. Show punctuality and attention to detail in the job hunt. Exceed expectations, don't slide by with the minimum. Do not demonstrate a lack of caring.
Every phone interview I've ever had, the HR person has called me. If he can't give me a specific time, it's probably because he's busy (especially when, as I said in the OP, there was a large gap in response times too, when we were emailing). If that's the case, who wants to be called at 12:59 when they already said they're "shooting for around 1"...and HR is generally the one who calls.

At any rate, it's off topic. I didn't ask about that, I asked about the juncture I'm currently in right now.

Back on topic, I think the ship has sailed. I think the posters are right, if they haven't contacted me after three weeks (especially in no way acknowledging that the phone call never happened), they're not interested. I'm not in a rush, as I currently have a job that I'm doing well at, so we'll see what happens.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I agree with all the posts saying that they are not interested in you for one reason or another. They also may be concerned that you accepted another position just one year ago and are now on the hunt again.....companies like to know you will be there for a while so a year from now they are not looking to replace you when you leave. They may feel you are a job hopper.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment