Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
So sad, too bad.

In all liklihood, her boss could use her help over the phone with issues in the months to come. Not only is her boss unprofessional, she is now burning a bridge that could possibly assist her in the transition period, at least as far as advice on handling things goes.

The OP should finish out 40 hours this week, and not a minute more, and, of course, if they ever call asking how to handle issue or process XYZ, she should feign an inability to remember it.
Yep. This exactly.

Work out your two weeks - let any unpleasantness roll off of you like a duck's back and use it to reinforce how quitting this job was definitely the right thing to do.

Good Luck in your new position!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,130 times
Thanks everyone.

I haven't even been here for 5 minutes this morning and she's already at it again. It just bothers me that she speaks to me as if I do not know anything. She has to explain every single task in micromanaging detail because I'm not competent in her eyes.

This Wednesday would mark 2 weeks notice for me. Would it be unprofessional to go to HR and let them know how I am being treated, and cite that as my reasoning for Wednesday being my last day as opposed to Friday?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
It sounds like your boss is taking your departure personally. She is attempting to make it appear (to other employees? ... or perhaps, even in her own mind) like she 'dumped you', instead of vice-versa.

You might want to confront her (as nicely as possible) with the fact that your departure is NOT personal, but, if she chooses to take it that way, the next two weeks will be a lot more difficult and unpleasant for both of you ... but, will still not change the outcome. Also make it clear that you do not intend to cover for her 2-hour lunch breaks or inability to complete her work during the work day ... and, if that is her expectation, you intend to meet with her boss and HR to discuss it further.

(I'm not suggesting that you be either rude or hostile, but, there is no reason you should have to put-up with her 'nonsense' ... assuming that the situation is as you represent it.)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
I would try my best to bear it. After all, you don't want to burn any bridges. You never know what would happen in the future.
No, you are not being irrational. This happened alot in "professional" work fields.

Now in fantasy world, I would DELIBERATELY work late, take 2 hours lunch and do some stuff that will irk him / her. After all, they can;t fire you! :P

Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I haven't even been here for 5 minutes this morning and she's already at it again. It just bothers me that she speaks to me as if I do not know anything. She has to explain every single task in micromanaging detail because I'm not competent in her eyes.

This Wednesday would mark 2 weeks notice for me. Would it be unprofessional to go to HR and let them know how I am being treated, and cite that as my reasoning for Wednesday being my last day as opposed to Friday?
NO-it would not be unprofessional. If you like the company overall, you'd be doing them a favor.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It sounds like your boss is taking your departure personally. She is attempting to make it appear (to other employees? ... or perhaps, even in her own mind) like she 'dumped you', instead of vice-versa.
I agree with this interpretation. She has taken your departure as a hit to her ego and is trying to one-up you so that she appears to be the one in control. Pretty sad. Just be glad that you're getting out of there soon.

I would also stand up to her. She's acting like a child and she needs to know that that kind of behavior isn't appropriate.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
If you can, I agree with others to grin and bear it but don't let her walk all over you either. However if it becomes too much to handle, then walk out but only as a last resort. You don't need to worry endlessly about burning bridges at this point for two reasons; you have another job waiting and if she is really as difficult as you say she is, then she wouldn't be any kind of bridge for you anyway. Good luck to you.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I put in my notice a week and a half ago. I told my boss my last day would be next Friday.
If you put in 2 weeks notice and 1 1/2 weeks passed on 07/12, Friday. If you stayed another full week to 07/19, it would be 2 1/2 weeks. Why don't you just leave on Wednesday? Your 2 weeks have been completed and you don't have to deal with the boss again.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
I'd be tempted to leave at the 2 week mark. In fact, I would leave at the 2 week mark. Totally unprofessional behavior from your boss.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,351 times
I'd finish it out, don't let her know she got to you, if you have an exit interview then I would mention how unprofessional your boss is acting since you gave your notice.

Also, I wouldn't stay late. If she's giving you stuff to do at the end of the day while you twiddle you thumbs all day, save it for the next day. In fact, I wouldn't stay a minute late and my last day, an hour before leaving, I'd plop everything down on her desk that isn't finished, then pack up your desk and leave on ime. My last day of work consisted going around telling everyone goodbye and packing my desk and leaving But my boss was great so I had no animosity towards him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment