Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

Having worked in HR for many years, I can tell you first hand that the posters who advise against taking your issues to HR are correct. HR is on the side of mgmt. You would be labeled a negative person, not a team player, and nothing more than a trouble maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The minute you start bringing "problems" to HR you become the problem and that problem will be fixed by getting rid of you.
I can attest to this first-hand. I took an issue to HR some time ago, even came up with what I thought were viable solutions in an attempt to be a 'problem-solver' as opposed to 'complainer'.....and somehow it got twisted to where the issue was with me. Huh?!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett_ptista View Post
I'll try to keep this concise, since my company has policies that won't make sense to anyone who doesn't work there.

I've been working in a small department of a large company for over a year now. Unlike other established departments, we started as a " pilot " group, mostly made up of people who were in danger of being fired. Later I started, with the intent of furthering my experience with in the company.

My problem comes from the original core group of people ( women ) who founded what is now officially a department. They are constantly given special treatment, exceptions from company policy, and are overall showered in praise by unit mangers ( my team leaders bosses) and upper management.

This is especially infuriating when I've been with the company longer , and work harder than any of them, but don't get recognized for my work. They consistently do poor work, ignore rules, and are never caught. The favoritism is causing a rift in my department that's effecting performance for others who share these feelings, not just myself. Basically, these girls sit on one row of cubicles and the rest of the group sits on another.

Everyone on my row is becoming disgruntled and I want to speak with HR about several incidents. However, I don't want to sound jealous or catty when doing so, and I have some legitimate concerns.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or suggestions on how to handle?

Personally, after reading this I feel that if you complain to HR about favoritism - you are certainly never going to be among their favorites. Hard work is its' own reward, I'm afraid. You need to focus on your own job performance, do what is asked of you, and MYOB in regards as to what "those girls" are doing. You are not in charge of them, and you are not the gatekeeper. It sounds like you are keeping a score chart of their indiscretions and you and "the girls" on your side of the aisle are jealous over what you regard as inequity. Maybe you don't know the whole situation with them - nor do you need to. I see no way that you can speak to HR about this without coming across as whiny, nosy, jealous, or even vindictive. Do you not think HR will immediately speak with your boss or your manager and tell them of your concerns? You may as well speak to your manager directly and cut out the middle man - and I think you know that but you don't want to be put in your place. If I were you, I would either tell the girls in "your row" you don't want to hear about it and just focus on your own situation, or failing that look for a new job. You can't dictate how other people act and respond - you only can control yourself. Good luck to you.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Reality is favoritism will never be dealt with from the inside of an organization, as it's likely deeply ingrained in the office culture. I want to say it's encouraged to a degree as it breeds contempt amongst employees, therefore ensuring that the staff will never be a united force against management. It's very much a control issue...as for HR, they're another employee of the company. There is no chance in flaming hell that taking any issue you have about management TO HR is going to be handled objectively. The only way HR intervenes on 'your behalf' is if Management is acting in violation of employment laws and liable to be sued( in which case they're really acting in Management's interests, even if you're under the impression that they're on 'your' side. They aren't.)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The minute you start bringing "problems" to HR you become the problem and that problem will be fixed by getting rid of you. Either put up with things or quietly look for a new job. I can guarantee noone will be receptive to your concerns (at least not for real).
Quoted for Truth

Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
I am a government contractor and I see this kind of thing all the time. People who suck at their job, even doing illegal activities, but the misfits are just moved to an area with the other misfits, but not fired.

There's nothing you can do about it, and you will be seen as just another misfit. The best thing you can do is "just shut up and color". Like kindergarten.

Go to work, do your job, and go home. Simple.

Do you have a deadline for your own work? Yes? Then don't do their work, period. Make sure you turn in YOUR work first, and then IF you can get to it, do it. Don't bend over backwards trying to prove you can do it all. It obviously doesn't matter at this company.

I would even venture to say you're there because they know you can pick up their slack. So stop. Slow down on your own work and as long as you're turning yours in there's nothing they can do.

If you don't have a deadline, just add their work to the pile that gets done when it gets done. This company obviously isn't worried about real results or they would get rid of the misfits.

I know where you're coming from and the only way to get through it is to just be glad for your paycheck, and don't try to change things, because you will be the only one getting frustrated. You're stressed because you are letting it bother you.

You love the job, so love YOUR job, not everyone else's. It does take awhile to become passive about it, but you can do it, and you will be much happier in the long run.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I know where you're coming from and the only way to get through it is to just be glad for your paycheck, and don't try to change things, because you will be the only one getting frustrated. You're stressed because you are letting it bother you.
Yep, and I've generally taken the attitude any (dis)organization who operates like this is happy with the way things are run, so trying to change it is futile. Management isn't oblivious to the issues, they use it as a means to maintain control via divide and conquer. A well run company doesn't operate in this manner, so I'm not referring to them all, just the ones for which chaos and dysfunction is the office culture. We sit and think to ourselves 'What the hell is wrong with management? Don't they SEE the BS!?' Of course they do....and that's how they want it.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM

216 posts, read 475,473 times
Default difficult problem

If your'e performing a valuable service and hard to replace you might get the attention of management and a favorable resolution, although it might be temporary.

If your'e a member of a protected class and have a possible federal or state lawsuit you can get action from personnel.

If neither case applies, I'd suggest keeping your head down and work on getting good reviews as you scout your next job. Life is unfair!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Honestly, in my experience if you're just a bad fit with co-workers, or the way things are done, sometimes the most graceful thing to do IS to leave or transfer to a different department. If they are being showered with rampant favoritism by people above you, chances are they're enough "in favor" that your complaints they're a bunch of lazy do-nothings isn't going to have much impact, and could result in you being looked at as someone who just can't get along with the team.

Unless I REALLY loved whatever this specific department was doing, I would consider transferring to a different department. If asked why you were transferring, I would state something about wanting to make more of an impact and not being sure there were as many opportunities of that in your current department. I would NOT complain against them personally. I would NOT bring this up with HR. I think that never goes well.

I was once in a similar situation, and the person I was working with was also breaking some rules and just unpleasant to coexist around. I stuck it out until I could find a different position, then left. Favoritism sucks (I hear you on that, and I think most people who are responding have been there too), but it is a reality we all live with at some point in our careers. Good luck to you.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yep, and I've generally taken the attitude any (dis)organization who operates like this is happy with the way things are run, so trying to change it is futile. Management isn't oblivious to the issues, they use it as a means to maintain control via divide and conquer. A well run company doesn't operate in this manner, so I'm not referring to them all, just the ones for which chaos and dysfunction is the office culture. We sit and think to ourselves 'What the hell is wrong with management? Don't they SEE the BS!?' Of course they do....and that's how they want it.
^Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment