Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times

Advertisements

So much so that I'm thinking about applying for an open position there.

I left in December because the position I had was not fulfilling, I wasn't challenged, I wasn't using my skills and I also wanted to move into and gain experience in other areas but was told, "No you're good in this area so we want to keep you here." The position I'm in now is doing work in the area I wanted to move into. I enjoy it, it's challenging and I'm learning a lot.

The job opening isn't the same position I left; if it was I wouldn't apply because I was miserable. The new position responsibilities are exactly what I'm doing now in my current position.
The current job I'm in is a contract position. I like my responsibilities but I don't like the people. When I first started there I was assigned to work with this lady and she was just awful. I don't know if she was threatened by me or what, but I noticed how she would talk to me versus everyone else and there was a big difference, very condescending. Then what she wanted done contradicted what the actual users of the system wanted. It really was an "us vs them" mentality with her, almost like I had stepped into a war zone. She and my supervisor would get together and discuss how "stupid" everyone is because they have the audicity to question their suggestions instead of just listening to them and doing them. And if so and so doesn't do this or that they're getting fired. And they would laugh! I don't participate in talks like that, I don't think anyone is stupid because they question or have objections to certain things and I certainly do not think it's appropriate to laugh when someone's livelihood is threatened. I don't mean to be prudish, but I guess just that whole situation has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not too thrilled about staying with this company. It's a good company and they do practice hiring their contractors after 6 months but I'm not sure I want to stay there once my contract is up. I've only been there 3 or 4 months so my contract will be up soon. I like what I do, I'm excited about the projects, I'm working with the users directly so a lot of things are moving forward but for some reason I can't shake that lady and how she treated me and her and my boss's attitudes. I'm pretty sure I'm not in their clique, but it doesn't bother me because I'm there to do a job, not gossip. I know I shouldn't judge an entire company off of one or two people, but for some reason I just can't shake it. There are plenty of opportunities there to move into other areas. And they let you work from home on a regular basis.

But I have been thinking about my old company a lot. I'm not sure if it's because of the experience at my current company. It's a good company also, closer to home (about a 20 minute difference, but the commute to my current gig doesn't bother me yet), I would probaly start at the same salary I left, maybe a little more, which would still be a pay cut but I can live comfortably off it. I know the people I would be working with, if they are still there, and they know me and we worked well together. I left on good terms; my two managers both gave me references for the job I'm at now. And I always did well on my performance reviews. The only thing is I'm not sure if the advancement opportunities are there. They could be. I don't think I'd be given the opp to work from home.

My questions are twofold: 1) Do you think I should tough it out at my current company? Maybe I'm nervous b/c my contract is coming due and I don't know if they'll bring me on permanently, so I am looking and keeping my options open. My feedback has been positive according to my recruiters and the opportunities at this company are better. 2) I guess my concern with my old company is that I left only 7 months ago and would like to go back. How would that look to the hiring managers when I apply? How should I handle any questions they have?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
A lot of people have those feelings. Make sure you aren't just missing the ease of familiarity. I knew within one month I changed companies I made a mistake.

If you feel you want to go back, let them know you made a mistake, if they value you, they will take you back.

Best of luck.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I had this same situation occur recently. I was recruited away from a company that I enjoyed working for, to a start-up. After a week at the start-up, I had a feeling that it was not a good place for me. I stuck it out and after 5 months, really knew that the start-up was a dysfunctional working environment.

I maintained good relations with my previous manager and called him back to return to my previous work place.

Assuming that you did not "burn bridges" when you left, you should apply. In fact, I have heard that many companies welcome returning employees, because it shows other employees that "the grass is not always greener on the other side".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment