Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times

Advertisements

How about this....

As to be put in a job without physical restrictions? Offer a solution to a type of job you might be interested in going to. Identify a need in the organization and let them know how you can fill it. Then sit back and see what they say.

In many places this is called reasonable accommodation. If it does not cause undue hardship for the organization to find you another placement, they should be able to do so. I am not sure if they are obligated to do so, but you might want to check into it. It could be argued (by the employer) that you pose a safety risk to the other employees due to your inability to perform the physical portion of your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
How about this....

As to be put in a job without physical restrictions? Offer a solution to a type of job you might be interested in going to. Identify a need in the organization and let them know how you can fill it. Then sit back and see what they say.

In many places this is called reasonable accommodation.
No, this is not "reasonable accommodation". "Reasonable accommodation" is not asking to do a different job. "Reasonable accommodation" is asking for something (like a stool, or a larger monitor, or a delayed start time) that will allow you to do your CURRENT job at the same level every one else is doing that job.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
At will employment = fire you for almost any reason. Check with a labor lawyer for real advice is my two cents.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
No, this is not "reasonable accommodation". "Reasonable accommodation" is not asking to do a different job. "Reasonable accommodation" is asking for something (like a stool, or a larger monitor, or a delayed start time) that will allow you to do your CURRENT job at the same level every one else is doing that job.

Depends on where you work.

In one of my old organizations, we regularly placed employees from a production role into an administrative role if we could accommodate them and they were unable to perform the physical requirements of the job. If we had an opening and they were qualified for the admin role, it was a win-win. We did not create new jobs or get rid of the physical requirements.

At my current org, we fire people like its going out of style. It is a very sought after workplace, and we have no trouble finding new talent to fill our positions. The culture is about as likely to accommodate someone like the OP as it is to start throwing $20 bills out the window.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
In one of my old organizations, we regularly placed employees from a production role into an administrative role if we could accommodate them and they were unable to perform the physical requirements of the job. If we had an opening and they were qualified for the admin role, it was a win-win. We did not create new jobs or get rid of the physical requirements.
Well, that is a fantastic practice for an organization to have. You get to retain people who know the culture and can excel in multiple roles. It certainly is a "win/win".

But "reasonable accommodation" is a legal term, and it never means offering a different job.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Not true-- from the EEOC's website:

Reassignment (75)
The ADA specifically lists "reassignment to a vacant position" as a form of reasonable accommodation.(76) This type of reasonable accommodation must be provided to an employee who, because of a disability, can no longer perform the essential functions of his/her current position, with or without reasonable accommodation, unless the employer can show that it would be an undue hardship.(77)
An employee must be "qualified" for the new position. An employee is "qualified" for a position if s/he: (1) satisfies the requisite skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the position, and (2) can perform the essential functions of the new position, with or without reasonable accommodation.(78) The employee does not need to be the best qualified individual for the position in order to obtain it as a reassignment.
There is no obligation for the employer to assist the individual to become qualified. Thus, the employer does not have to provide training so that the employee acquires necessary skills to take a job.(79) The employer, however, would have to provide an employee with a disability who is being reassigned with any training that is normally provided to anyone hired for or transferred to the position.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
To add, "vacant position" not only means one that is currently open, but also one that is known be be available within a reasonable time frame. The employer is under no obligation to assit the employee meet the conditions of that new position, but they have to make it available as an option to the employee if they are otherwise qualified and capable.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
"For nearly two years, I worked quietly in the background"

What exactly does this mean?

It means he took on a bunch of "make work" or "special projects" that justified him being there that added no value to the business because the previous supervisor did not have the balls to let him go. I have worked for companies where you see some people "milling around" but you can't pinpoint exactly what they do or who they work for.

Last edited by Spaten_Drinker; 07-17-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Not true-- from the EEOC's website:

Reassignment (75)
The ADA specifically lists "reassignment to a vacant position" as a form of reasonable accommodation.(76) This type of reasonable accommodation must be provided to an employee who, because of a disability, can no longer perform the essential functions of his/her current position, with or without reasonable accommodation, unless the employer can show that it would be an undue hardship.
A clause I was unfamiliar with; thanks for posting. I'm not so sure it would necessarily apply here because, according to the OP, it sounds like he was never able to perform the essential job functions. I would think the law applies to someone who gains a disability during their tenure.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM

You could argue that a reasonable accomodation had already been given for the OP by modifying the position so that he could perform the essential tasks, as he had been doing for years. Past practice also sets precedence. If I were he, and I was going to fight, I would hang my hat on the disability angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment