Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2455 View Post
i saw your post and read your response. I am responding to a poster who know how hard it is for a recent college grad. If you don't want to read my posts or sob stories as you call it then put this thread on your ignore list and go to the other threads.

I am taking all the advice in, but I am still asking questions and venting. This was a tragic experience for me that happened only 2 days ago.
Here is the post that you were responding to:
Quote:
I found it on craigslist. OP, perhaps keep a close eye out on there. Here's my rationale.

craigslist has a much smaller fee for employers to post their jobs than boards like Careerbuilder or Monster. Smaller firms with smaller talent acquisition budgets tend to post on craigslist, in my experience. Smaller firms with smaller talent acquisition budgets tend to hire inexperienced college grads that come at a much cheaper rate than someone with experience. If you want to find another job, I'd keep my eye out for jobs posted on craigslist. I think you will have a better shot on that site.

BTW, my first job out of college was pretty cool. I got to travel all over the country for it. It didn't pay much, but it gave me valuable experience, which I used to acquire a better job three years later.
Here's your response:

Quote:
I did take low pay, $11 per hour at my most recent job that was suppose to be "entry level" for a bookkeeper. Just $2.50 more per hour than the a $8.50 per hour minimum wage a high school student makes working at MCDonalds. I took that low pay because I felt that they would train me extensively so I would learn alot and get valuable experience. However, I was fired in 6 days for not meeting "expected performance".

What performance did they expect in 6 days given the situation?
When the first 5 days, I only had 5 hours of training for that entire work week. Then monday of my second week, I got 6 hours of training. Then tuesday 8AM told I wasn't a fit and was fired. Despite the fact that they said they would train,took low pay from them, knew I was a recent college grad , and my only experience being a 6 month internship.
Do you see how you didn't acknowledge the advice given, that this very pertinent suggestion only triggered you to lament your situation once again? This is your method of "absorbing" information? Do you see how an employer might interpret this as a possible issue with trainability?

Like others have said, time to move on and move forward with your life. Learn the lessons here and find another opportunity.

Now... where's that eject button again?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM

141 posts, read 147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Here is the post that you were responding to:

Here's your response:

Do you see how you didn't acknowledge the advice given, that this very pertinent suggestion only triggered you to lament your situation once again? This is your method of "absorbing" information? Do you see how an employer might interpret this as a possible issue with trainability?

Like others have said, time to move on and move forward with your life. Learn the lessons here and find another opportunity.

Now... where's that eject button again?
I am currently sending my resumes on craigslist in between being on here. I took the advice. However, I am still venting in general.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,104 times
Quote:
i saw your post and read your response. I am responding to a poster who know how hard it is for a recent college grad. If you don't want to read my posts or sob stories as you call it then put this thread on your ignore list and go to the other threads.

I am taking all the advice in, but I am still asking questions and venting. This was a tragic experience for me that happened only 2 days ago.

Dear heavens, honey. Do you actually know what "tragic" means? No one died. Nothing that happened can't be repaired. I am happy for you if this setback (and that is all it is, a setback) is the worst thing to occur in your life so far, but "tragic" it is most assuredly not.

Any sympathy I might have had for you is now gone. You are intent on feeling sorry for yourself. I know this must have been a shock, but TRAGIC? Really? Leave that drama for your mama.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think you're shell shocked. You've probably never been let go before. Am I right?

When I was laid off for the first time several years back, I was devastated. It wasn't due to poor performance, the company was just struggling financially. At the time, I was in college. I was the only one in the entire department pursuing a college degree. I felt cheated. All the hard work I had put in to get to that point, and it was all stripped a way in a flash. But guess what? I'm doing better now than ever before. It gets better. You just have to keep pushing forward. Maybe the company just wasn't the right fit for you. Look at it this way. Do you really want to work for an employer that only gives an employee a few days to learn the system before firing them? It took me about a year to learn everything about the job I do now, and I still make mistakes from time to time. Imagine what life would have been down the road if you were working at that place. You probably just escaped from what could have been an extremely stressful work environment.
Yes I was shocked and still am because it has never happen to me before. You are right in all your posts.

I am also surprised that some of these posters on city data come on these forums and talk this big game with such lack of compassion and outrageous suggestions. Like one poster saying 6 hours is a long time to learn QUICKBOOKS because it is so easy and that I shuld have mastered it after 6 hours. Or that 6 days of minimal training shows how trainable you are. Or how to learn QUICKBOOKS online or buy the program and learn it. Or how some think that me and other recent college grads feel entitled. I don't feel entitled I just expect a company to keep their word. If they say they're going to train than train don't back out after 6 days. Or here's the smallest violin playing for you or that i was a spoiled college grad who should have worked at menial jobs in college to show that I am motivated hard worker etc. Just mean nasty condescending responses with no advice or help.

I appreciate people like you who speak the truth. Like when you state that accounting software cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars and that companies want the experience using that software in a work environment not just I read this book on SQL but never used it. You also mention they want relevant work experience not some experience from some menial job.

Thanks you to you and all those posters that have been so kind and understanding of my situation without snapping at me. I am currently applying on Craigslist.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times
Quote:
Yes I was shocked and still am because it has never happen to me before. You are right in all your posts.

I am also surprised that some of these posters on city data come on these forums and talk this big game with such lack of compassion and outrageous suggestions. Like one poster saying 6 hours is a long time to learn QUICKBOOKS because it is so easy and that I shuld have mastered it after 6 hours. Or that 6 days of minimal training shows how trainable you are. Or how to learn QUICKBOOKS online or buy the program and learn it. Or how some think that me and other recent college grads feel entitled. I don't feel entitled I just expect a company to keep their word. If they say they're going to train than train don't back out after 6 days. Or here's the smallest violin playing for you or that i was a spoiled college grad who should have worked at menial jobs in college to show that I am motivated hard worker etc. Just mean nasty condescending responses with no advice or help.

I appreciate people like you who speak the truth. Like when you state that accounting software cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars and that companies want the experience using that software in a work environment not just I read this book on SQL but never used it. You also mention they want relevant work experience not some experience from some menial job.

Thanks you to you and all those posters that have been so kind and understanding of my situation without snapping at me. I am currently applying on Craigslist.
Excellent!

Trust me, I know the feeling. Some people have little patience or lack empathy altogether. Maybe it's the way they're raised (I often think of Hank Hill from King of the Hill), maybe their life has been too easy (I have friends like this, not a stress or care in the world). I don't know, nor do I have control over what they think or say. Just try to be the best person you can be. In the future, if someone is going through a tough time, pay it forward and try your best to steer them in the right direction. Use your experience, good and bad, to guide you through that. You will be a better, more likable person for it. After several years, it'll probably make a lot more sense to you. I imagine you are 22 or 23, fresh college grad. I'm sure I came across that way when I was your age. Five long years later, some of this stuff is starting to make more sense. It will for you, too.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,104 times
Quote:

Well I am glad you found a kindred spirit who will assuage your damaged ego and agree with your worldview. Good luck to you.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yes this is certainly a big issue and the downfall of many a college grad. How many LA grads are out there right now with the mindset that "Ok maybe I won't get a job using my History degree directly but I am sure I will find some company willing to train me, some company where I can start out at the basic clerk, data entry, customer service". They think that, they say that not knowing that SUPRISE even those low level office jobs are hard to get, even those low level office jobs still prefer to hire someone with experience and or a more relevant degree over someone without- So how does one get experience if no one will hire? I am not quite sure but I think free internships seem to be the best, paid surely as well but paid internships seems just as competitive as jobs these days.

You are right, no one is born with experience, at some point they had to be taught by someone or learned on their own. And nothing against learning on your own but sadly most companies want viable references and or degree that indicates you have used X skill. Yes I know the point of a business is to make money etc... but I think sometimes the employer forget that at one point someone had to take a chance on them, someone had to teach them the skills. Now its the wonderful "We wont hire you unless you have experience, but god forbid it won't be us giving you the experience"-which is fine when one company says it, but when they all do.... (obviously not all as some do still train from the ground up, some entry level are actually "entry level", but they are hard to find)

As to why employers are less likely to train today? I guess it is because they still have a surplus of workers who can already do the job without or with very little training. If it comes to a point where these skilled workers start retiring, moving on to new fields etc... then I can see the "we will train you mentality come back"- I don't know, I am just guessing.

For the moment what I would recommend to college students/grads: Internships, internships, internships, paid or unpaid in your field or not in your field, you need something that says I worked for X using A,B,C software . Free internships may be the only place where the employer is more than willing to train. Major in something practical or pair an unpractical degree with some practical classes.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Excellent!

Trust me, I know the feeling. Some people have little patience or lack empathy altogether. Maybe it's the way they're raised (I often think of Hank Hill from King of the Hill), maybe their life has been too easy (I have friends like this, not a stress or care in the world). I don't know, nor do I have control over what they think or say. Just try to be the best person you can be. In the future, if someone is going through a tough time, pay it forward and try your best to steer them in the right direction. Use your experience, good and bad, to guide you through that. You will be a better, more likable person for it. After several years, it'll probably make a lot more sense to you. I imagine you are 22 or 23, fresh college grad. I'm sure I came across that way when I was your age. Five long years later, some of this stuff is starting to make more sense. It will for you, too.
I always try to help people going through a tough time and I will continue to do so. Do unto others as I want done unto me. If someone does something nice for me I thank them, give them a shout out etc.Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
obviously, but answer this. How those who you speak of in your post gain their experience in their respective fields? Employer more willing to train a decade ago vs. now?After all those who have the skill now didn't always have that skill. Just like those who drive now weren't always able to drive.
Those people were willing to accept a lower-paying entry-level position and move up from there. I didn't go to college, but because I started at the bottom and moved my way up, I have experience in lieu of a degree, and I've only ever been turned down for a company once based on my lack of degree.

Those getting out of college still have no experience but they have loans to pay off, so they tend to want the higher-paying jobs right away. It just doesn't work like that, in my experience.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I always try to help people going through a tough time and I will continue to do so. Do unto others as I want done unto me. If someone does something nice for me I thank them, give them a shout out etc.Thanks again!
Us telling you to be a little introspective and figure out what you did wrong that led to you being fired is absolutely helping you. The best help you can get right now is to figure out what you did wrong that led you to be fired, and change that behavior. If I were fired, I would want everyone I know to tell me what I did so that I could correct whatever bad behavior I had. You don't seem to want to even admit you might be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment