Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,559 times

Advertisements

My initial question is
HOW TO BECOME A RECEPTIONIST WITHOUT ANY EXPERIENCE?

So currently right now I am a cashier at a small grocery store been working for them a little bit over a year. Which has been the longest since I kept a job! Im in and out of college but college is just not for me. However I do plan on becoming a massage therapist because the job has flexible hours and decent pay.
But Im not so sure anymore because Im a male and its really hard for cliental purpose even though Im gay and that I prefer to work with females, but it would be hard because you have woman who feel uncomfortable because they may not believe Im gay and think Im just acting gay.

However my dream job is to work in the TV/Film industry I would love to be a celebrity interviewer or a Casting Director or anything in Casting for movies and television.

Right now I just need to support myself.

With my personality to be honest I do have anxiety/social anxiety, however I am okay at small talk and ive been told by alot of people even my boss said that I have a nice smile! I know that receptionist arent rich but its better than $9.50 an hour

Plus I need a job that pays a little more that its easy to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 AM

75 posts, read 123,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
However I do plan on becoming a massage therapist because the job has flexible hours and decent pay.
This is a poor reason to continue down this path because...

It sounds like you really want to do this...

Quote:
However my dream job is to work in the TV/Film industry I would love to be a celebrity interviewer or a Casting Director or anything in Casting for movies and television.
So begin to do these things. Are you in a location where you are surrounded by this industry? (I'm thinking Hollywood/NYC)... If not go there.

Quote:
So currently right now I am a cashier at a small grocery store been working for them a little bit over a year.
Perfect. I know Hollywood has some 24 hour grocery stores. Restock shelves in the evening to put a roof over your head and food on the table.

During the day, spend your time at movie studios as an intern (free if you have to, paid if you can get it).

Perform jobs and duties consistent with what you want to be doing. You should be above cleaning toilets, but do not be above getting coffee, preparing meeting materials, general office work.

In the meantime, do not hope that your internship will lead to fulltime employment at the same employer. Think about other studios that need someone like you (now that you have some previous experience), but... and this is very important...will teach you something that gets you to the job that you want.

When you learn that skill from that job, again transfer to another employer where you use the skills you've learned sofar, but again teaches you something that gets you to the job you want. Every job is a stepping stone to where you want to be, until you have the job that you finally want.

Quote:
With my personality to be honest I do have anxiety/social anxiety,...

But Im not so sure anymore because Im a male and its really hard for cliental purpose even though Im gay and that I prefer to work with females, but it would be hard because you have woman who feel uncomfortable because they may not believe Im gay and think Im just acting gay.
I can tell. Stop thinking people view you this way. Do not misunderstand me, acceptance of homosexual relationships has a long way to go in this country (if you live in the US). However, how people feel about your sexual orientation is going to be an afterthought compared to the excellent service you provide as an employee.

Besides, you don't have time to worry about this right now because...

Quote:
Right now I just need to support myself.
You need to wake up every morning and tell the person in the mirror that this is exactly what you want to be doing (or at least is a stepping stone for where you want to be) and that you are the best person for this position.

Quote:
Plus I need a job that pays a little more that its easy to do!
Be excellent at what you choose to do for others and then the salary comes with it.

A "good" salary is a result of providing excellent service, never a goal.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times
So your career path is cashier > receptionist > massage therapist > casting director?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,213 times
I think you first need to figure out exactly what an attainable goal is for you, then work from there. You need a little more focus and clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment