Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well explain why I was still called for interviews in September of 2012 when it was clear as day my last job was december 2011 on the resume?

I believe that was a 10 month gap
That's you. You were lucky. Not everyone is lucky like that. Luckily I was able to fill some of my gaps with volunteer work, Board of Elections, and doing outsourcing/recruiting work for my brother's small company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,880,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Waiting around for the perfect job is not reasonable or realistic. A perfect job doesn't exist for most.

However, it is imperative to not take the first thing that comes (unless it's a good fit) if you don't have to. Some people can hold out a bit for a better job offer.

If you're not desperate, don't act like it.
Look at people who are quick to marry the first person that comes along as a result of peer pressure, desperation, low self esteem,etc. Those usually aren't very productive marriages and don't last too long. lol
Comparing an optional social construct like marriage to a fundamental responsibility like furthering your skills with education or working to be productive, eat, live, and not have other people paying your way in society is ridiculous.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM

265 posts, read 409,268 times
People who get called into professional jobs because they worked low-end jobs and have no experience in professional jobs are also lucky. It's not the norm to beat out everyone else who is qualified and already employed. This notion that having anything is going to lead to bigger and better things is tired and clichéd. Last time I checked everyone didn't live in the same area, apply to the same jobs, or have the exact same experiences as everyone else.

Is it better to have anything on the resume than nothing at all? Of course. Is it going to change your life, prove to the average employer you're worth a damn, and be conductive of a better future? Not Necessarily.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
and did you get that job?

Nope but the point I was making is employers still call after they see your last job was 10 months ago

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
People who get called into professional jobs because they worked low-end jobs and have no experience in professional jobs are also lucky. It's not the norm to beat out everyone else who is qualified and already employed. This notion that having anything is going to lead to bigger and better things is tired and clichéd. Last time I checked everyone didn't live in the same area, apply to the same jobs, or have the exact same experiences as everyone else.

Is it better to have anything on the resume than nothing at all? Of course. Is it going to change your life, prove to the average employer you're worth a damn, and be conductive of a better future? Not Necessarily.

It sure is cliche, working anywhere just so you can be active

Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,394,013 times
Default Just about everybody has done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I had been working as a temp at a warehouse for $10 an hour since February. It was very boring tedious work. Today, I just didn't feel like doing it anymore because of the crappy pay and equally crappy treatment there. I was working alongside people who were making $20 an hour doing the same exact tasks as me. The difference was they were employees of the warehouse and not hired through a temp agency. They also received plenty of benefits, sick days and vacation time. Its July, so every real employee of the warehouse was taking week long vacations.

I, on the other hand, was allowed zero sick days by the temp agency. Also, the warehouse where I was working refused to hire anybody passing through the revolving door of lowly temp workers. I wasn't even allowed a lunch break working there. I worked seven hours a day which did not allow me to have a lunch break so I was often starving two hours before the shift ended. Add to the fact that it is 99 degrees here today in the Baltimore area and there is no air conditioning in the warehouse.

I felt like working there was hustling backwards and was a waste of time and energy seeing as it was only a temp job anyway. I felt like a tool working a $10 an hour job without benefits with two college degrees at 30 years old. I'd rather try at stab at making, I don't know, real money doing some kind of sales or something related to my original career path in college rather than working a mindless low-paying temp job that only allows me to buy meals and pay for gas to do it all over again the next day instead of being actual able to afford to be pay for real world expenses.

Has anyone here been forced into low-paying temp servitude? If not, would you work as a temp slave? Would you have lasted as long as me or held out on the hope that a dead-end job would magically become a yellow-brick road to financial success?
Um, it's better than nothing. Meanwhile, you're only working 7 hours a day so the rest of the time could be spent getting up early to get the paper, or fixing up your resume, or filling out applications everywhere you can find. As an employer, I'd rather hire someone who is currently working, at least they are trying.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, it's better than nothing. Meanwhile, you're only working 7 hours a day so the rest of the time could be spent getting up early to get the paper, or fixing up your resume, or filling out applications everywhere you can find. As an employer, I'd rather hire someone who is currently working, at least they are trying.
That's continually challenged by some posters here and I remain completely flummoxed that anybody with half a brain could dispute it. All I can assume is that none of them has even been an employer.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

How do you know a unemployed person is not trying? Or are you just looking at the date of their last job and assume they are not trying?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,995,734 times
Quote:
Nope but the point I was making is employers still call after they see your last job was 10 months ago

So why didn't you get the job?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,188 times
Quote:
I was telling my cousin this last year about the divide. You saw one job posting for a director and then another job posting for janitor lol. It was like all the mid-level jobs were being eliminated and all you saw was high level and low level positions.
That's typical in recessions. Middle management takes huge cuts, but everyone still wants a janitor to scrub the toilets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment