Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times

Advertisements

Anyone have good or bad -- but mostly good (because I AM looking for encouragement, here) stories about taking a job that you thought you weren't really qualified for and was over your head.

(I've just been contacted by an exec search firm, so this is really musing at this point. But I have thought about it before, when I've thought about looking for a new job.)

I mean -- I do think that technically I CAN do it, but it will be a hell of a learning curve.
I'd be an exec (3 levels below a major corp CEO) managing several people (and I've never done that)...it would be a subject matter I don't really have a personal interest in...but obviously you GET up to speed if your job depends on it.

Basically with this job or any other when it comes to GETTING the job, you just have to convince the company you can do the job...then once you GET the job...that's when your "mettle is tested."

Last edited by rdflk; 07-19-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
Not me personally, but I know a lot of politicians and a President who are in over their head. You know how many people are in upper-level jobs where they have no business being in those jobs? Many. It happens all the time. They kiss the boss' ass, are smooth talkers and get promoted based off of that, rather than actual qualifications. It sounds like you'd be making bank with this job, so take it. They must of seen something on your resume that thought you'd make a good candidate or they wouldn't have called you. If you fail at it, at least you made a nice chunk of change along the way. You got to understand, it's all about who you know, not what you know.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
It's happened to many people, but it would depend on what they expect from you (how fast you can learn and come up to speed etc).

Here in Silicon Valley, this used to happen a lot, but I have seen lately that the recruiting and hiring process has been very selective lately, which "screens out" candidates. Employers here seem to want employees to "hit the ground running" and if your background/skills are not the right fit, it will be apparent quickly.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM

football that's the way I'm looking at it too.

WORST case scenario I "don't work out" -- well I'll have made 30-40 thousand more a year for that time and have a GREAT title to parlay to another gig. And at that level they may pay ME to go !

You'd be surprised how many places it's all about LOOKING and SOUNDING like you know what your doing. Now, OTHERS in the office know this boss has no clue, but some how that boss manages to stay there, too.

Most people I would hope, myself included, don't WANT to be in a job that's not a good fit, even for big bucks, but I've also lived long enough to know -- sometimes it IS all about the money....and making all you can WHILE you can.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Anyone have good or bad -- but mostly good (because I AM looking for encouragement, here) stories about taking a job that you thought you weren't really qualified for and was over your head.

(I've just been contacted by an exec search firm, so this is really musing at this point. But I have thought about it before, when I've thought about looking for a new job.)

I mean -- I do think that technically I CAN do it, but it will be a hell of a learning curve.
I'd be an exec (3 levels below a major corp CEO) managing several people (and I've never done that)...it would be a subject matter I don't really have a personal interest in...but obviously you GET up to speed if your job depends on it.

Basically with this job or any other when it comes to GETTING the job, you just have to convince the company you can do the job...then once you GET the job...that's when your "mettle is tested."

I have never applied to anything I felt I wasn't qualified for especially in this new job market where most employers are not big on training anyone.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It's happened to many people, but it would depend on what they expect from you (how fast you can learn and come up to speed etc).

Here in Silicon Valley, this used to happen a lot, but I have seen lately that the recruiting and hiring process has been very selective lately, which "screens out" candidates. Employers here seem to want employees to "hit the ground running" and if your background/skills are not the right fit, it will be apparent quickly.
This happened to my brother. He has self-taught himself a highly sought after coding language and was hired to do it full-time. He had a 100%+ increase in his salary with the new job.

The problem was they were expecting someone to "hit the ground running" and apparently he wasn't running fast enough. They let him go after 8 weeks. Luckily, he found himself a job shortly after for more money than his original position, but it does seem like he was in over his head.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Those executive search firms are a scam. Sorry.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:51 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Yes. I worked at a place once where I was really going above and beyond considering I didn't have any experience and I didn't even have a full license yet. I also hadn't been involved in this field at all in a few years at that point. I was the only one competent enough to address the state regarding deficiencies, which both my supervisor and manager (both with tons of experience) failed to do. The state actually rejected my supervisor's responses to them. (The responses are really part of the director's job as well.) I was also managing the front-end, making documents, etc. Most of this stuff I did on my own---I wasn't really taught too much---but I am a very proactive person and actually like learning new things.

I actually was quite good at what I was doing and then new management came in and ruined everything. But I am so thankful to be out of there.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM

I think it's part confidence issue -- part unknown. I don't even think I'd hire ME for the job. Basically, I look good on paper.

I mean COULD I do it? yeah, I GUESS, maybe. But I KNOW for sure it will be a hell of a learning curve. I know I as the employer would expect performance. But how do I know? I also hear about people in cushy executive jobs where they're just "idea" people and "manage" others. (Not that management is easy, being caught between workers and higher ups.)

I've been where I am for 18 years. A job that's not challenging not heavy lifting, no stress, no responsibilities for others, not management. I haven't had to learn a new corp culture -- and never at the exec level.

I DO know that I'd better bone up on the company, and practice interviewing. One thing for sure is I've got nothing to lose by going for it.

I don't even KNOW if I'll GET an interview and I'm thinking ahead. I have so much learning to do I need to get started now, just in case.....

This potential job would be a 30K raise in a lower cost of living city, a lot of responsibility, management, suit and tie, more schedule flexibility, closer to home and elderly mom.

Current job: not bad pay more than I need -- little pressure and I know it so well it's like stealing money to do nothing sometimes, 37.5 hour union covered work week -- and even then some days I literally do nothing for hours on end, jeans and Tshirt attire -- BUT no work schedule flexibility, tough to get time off, days off and shift change week to week, two hours from home town.

My friends say my COMFORT at the current job (which all in all is a fairly sweet situation) is making me AFRAID to go for more elsewhere. And that I know my current job so well it is like not working.
I say to them : is that such a bad thing.

Last edited by rdflk; 07-20-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
The best way to learn to swim is to be thrown in the deep ocean with the sharks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment