Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I doubt that. Such a statement infers that people always had government-provided 'safety-net.' Social security and other entitlement programs weren't enacted until the mid-1930s. And the Federal legislation which enacted it would have been deemed unconstitutional if Roosevelt and his Democrat controlled Congress hadn't threatened to 'stack' the SCOTUS.

Before that time, safety nets were provided by benevolent organizations and charities, as well as through strong familial structures.

It is no coincidence that as the underclass has become more and more dependent on the government, the family structures of the underclass has also deteriorated.

Wean people off government dependence and intervention, and you'll see a corresponding increase in the strength of familial structures -- even friendships.
To decrease government dependence we need the economy of the 50's into the 60's, mid 80's and mid 90's. With a globalized world we wont have that. Perhaps similar but not that exact booming economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
As someone who once worked at the company that made #8 in the "Best Tech Companies to Work For" section. I can tell you those surveys are full of crap. At that specific company I was overworked and underpaid. I was promised a promotion that was never received. It wasn't just me either. I had one coworker who was transferred out to London. He sold all of his furniture and rented out his studio. 2 weeks before leaving they told him he wasn't going to transfer over seas. Talk about a ****ty situation.

Interesting note, I work for an employer on the list you posted and it certainly isn't even towards the bottom of the worst job I have ever had.

Last edited by ChiGuy2.5; 07-23-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
All companies should be like this. Why would you ever want to share stuff about the Office?
Well, Apple is to an extreme degree in terms of secrecy, even within the office. Certain teams are silo-ed from the rest of the company. Kind of CIA or NSA level security.

I personally don't like to talk shop outside the office and like to keep my private life/professional life separate, but I know plenty of people who have to "download" what they experienced at the workplace.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
As someone who once worked at the company that made #8 in the "Best Tech Companies to Work For" section. I can tell you those surveys are full of crap. At that specific company I was overworked and underpaid. I was promised a promotion that was never received. It wasn't just me either. I had one coworker who was transferred out to London. He sold all of his furniture and rented out his studio. 2 weeks before leaving they told him he wasn't going to transfer over seas. Talk about a ****ty situation.

Interesting note, I work for an employer on the list you posted and it certainly isn't even towards the bottom of the worst job I have ever had.
Yep, rankings like this are basically meaningless. If you have a few working years under your belt and have been at a few different places to work, you generally know whether not your work situation is really toxic or not. So, such surveys can be taken with a huge grain of salt, since they are going to rank only really large well-known companies in such drive-by articles.

My point is not to defend bigger companies, but generally speaking, the larger the company, the more people will complain about it online.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Not really. I would have cleared it with management first, and if he knew he was subject to randoms, he was playing Russian roulette.
If he was prescribed MM by a legit doctor, then Dish will never get my business.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_B View Post
AT&T. Micromanagement that makes no sense. Managers that are not leaders. They treat their employees like crap.
I work with ATT IT employees daily. They all have manager titles which I don't understand (maybe for salary reasons?) but they all seem pretty happy. And very easy to work with.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Yep, rankings like this are basically meaningless. If you have a few working years under your belt and have been at a few different places to work, you generally know whether not your work situation is really toxic or not. So, such surveys can be taken with a huge grain of salt, since they are going to rank only really large well-known companies in such drive-by articles.

My point is not to defend bigger companies, but generally speaking, the larger the company, the more people will complain about it online.
Another point is that there are many variables which can make a job or office environment pleasant or horrible within even the same organization. You could be in a Top #10 company but have a really terrible manager who makes your life hell. Or there can be a really dysfunctional department.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,910,771 times
I remember a website many moons ago called best buy sucks. oh the stuff on there was real. as a soon to be hs student graduate who was transferred to home theatre, I remember working to close and then they say the one thing I was sure violate some sort of law...they wanted me do truck..at 3am when I was scheduled for a 10 hr shift at 6am. no way was I going to do my 8 hr shift, then truck (that's another 2-4 hours after closing and whenever the hell the truck came). and then be back at the store at 6am for opening shift.

I know a lot of folks hated it and would simply toss anything they could off the truck (small things like a ps2, xbox,cds,movies,etc) to make this easier and go home. The morning shift then would be putting the stuff where they belonged.

and that's why I don't buy anything but games and headsets from BB if ever. I know what some of things go through. I remember seeing someone toss a ps2 like a football to see how far down the line he could.

I went in at 6am and by 2pm I was asked to stay till close. I had it. I basically said to the manager FU, tossed the shirt to the ground, spit on it and walked to my car. I quit.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
Graduate School/Research University as a Post Doc or a Ph.D. student is the worst experience a person can get with Financial troubles galore.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post

Are you punking us Webcam at home. Hmm, if an employer wants to do that to me they will probably become familiar with how often I have to clear the bat cave.
Nah its a requirement to be on webcam during your entire shift. I have my desk next to a window and once I was looking at some birds in the backyard and up pops the instant message "are you watching tv? Please turn it off so you can focus on giving our customers the best possible service"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment