Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 PM

146 posts, read 78,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Walker View Post
I accepted a position with an temp agency as a temp-to-perm and year-half later, I've never been hired. I was lied to so I would accept the position. As mentioned earlier in another post, companies save big money on contractors/temps. Don't leave a perm job for a temp-to-perm. Several reasons from my current experience:

1. No benefits!
2. Stress! These types of positions, you are new and generally get dumped on. You are doing the job you were hired to do in most companies, other's workers will dump their job on you too...why, because they can and get away with it. This is happening to me at my current job assignment. I need this job, so I don't say no to these lazy workers. If you go to management, generally they don't care and don't want to deal with it, especially from a temp. Basically, if you don't like it, you can leave. If you're trying to get away from work overload, it won't happen with these types of jobs. And by the way, this is happening everywhere in large and small companies. Because these companies have managed to get more work out of less employees (double and triple jobs on one worker) in this bad economy. One of the reasons why companies are not hiring the way they did in the past and why so many employees are under more stress and are generally more unhappy at work. Also, this one of the reasons why there is so much unemployment in the US.
3. No security! You can be let go at any time with no severance paid.
4. Being bullied! With so much uncertainly and competition in the workplace, it breeds workers being bullied which seems to be more common place now in the professional environment. Again, nothing you can do about it other than quit.
5. Less compensation! With temps job, your salary is lower, with no benefits, no bonus, no cost of living rise, no training or college tuition, etc.
6. Discrimination! In the company I contract at now, I was given the worst computer, not invited to team events or holiday lunches. You are treated much differently than the perm employees (treated basically as a second-class citizen). Other temps were treated this way as well as myself.
7. Type-casted! Once you enter the world of temping, it's hard to get out. You are only offered contracting/temp jobs.

In my opinion, stay were you are and keep looking for a new perm job. You don't want to get out of one stressful situation into another one with no benefits, no security, less money and possible mistreatment. There are many articles on the web dealing with stress. Also, if you need to, just push back on the employees who are piling it on. There are articles on the web on how to say "NO" at work too. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Start networking...let friends, family and former colleagues know that you are looking for another job. This may lead to an opportunity in their work place. Post your resume on Monster, Linkin and the Career Builders. Look at online at the companies you may want to work at and start applying for jobs. If you make a plan or pursue a new job, this will help you refocus your attention on the hunt rather than the stress. I've been in your shoes, so hang in there and good luck!

Now you do know you can talk to the agency and let them know you want a different assignment?
I would also tell you to in the meantime apply to other agencies along WITH your applying to direct hired jobs but you hate temp places so nvm.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Contract to hire is the way of the world now days most companies do this because so many states has become so difficult to fire people much easier to test out the person as a contractor. What I would do is while you're there as a contractor keep applying to other jobs if something comes along which is better jump ship and go there.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaKK View Post
Now you do know you can talk to the agency and let them know you want a different assignment?
I would also tell you to in the meantime apply to other agencies along WITH your applying to direct hired jobs but you hate temp places so nvm.
You can ask but as long as they have a body in a position bringing in money they won't do anything to F with that. If you ask for another position they will most likely either ignore you, convince you to stay, or yell at you.

Not all companies use temp agencies. I'd go to them and let the companies using temp agencies be the employer of last resort and get the leftovers from their competitors. I'd personally move across the country for a direct hire positions rather than accept a temp job locally.

If you have a current job and a staffing agency calls, do what I do and ignore them. I don't take their calls, don't return their messages, and don't allow them to connect on LinkedIN. You have no reason to play with them. They are p*mps, parasites, bottom feeders.

Giving up a direct job for temp is just insanely unwise. The goal in switching employment is usually to advance your career and get a better job not go backwards, take a pay and benefits cut, and work for a crap company that treats their workers like a disposable commodity.

Do companies not understand that the minute they involve one of these p*mp agencies a large swath of the labor force will not deal with them? That the unemployed and desperate are the only ones that will consider the crap pay and benefits most agencies offer?

Finally, I believe temp jobs do not deserve 2 weeks notice. If the company is not committed to even directly hiring the worker then the worker has equally no commitment to the company. After 90 days or as soon as you get a direct offer just walk out on them and tell them why. If it causes them disruption too F'ing bad you should have thought about that before making that important position temp.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-31-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You can ask but as long as they have a body in a position bringing in money they won't do anything to F with that. If you ask for another position they will most likely either ignore you, convince you to stay, or yell at you.

Not all companies use temp agencies. I'd go to them and let the companies using temp agencies be the employer of last resort and get the leftovers from their competitors. I'd personally move across the country for a direct hire positions rather than accept a temp job locally.

If you have a current job and a staffing agency calls, do what I do and ignore them. I don't take their calls, don't return their messages, and don't allow them to connect on LinkedIN. You have no reason to play with them. They are p*mps, parasites, bottom feeders.

Giving up a direct job for temp is just insanely unwise. The goal in switching employment is usually to advance your career and get a better job not go backwards, take a pay and benefits cut, and work for a crap company that treats their workers like a disposable commodity.

Do companies not understand that the minute they involve one of these p*mp agencies a large swath of the labor force will not deal with them? That the unemployed and desperate are the only ones that will consider the crap pay and benefits most agencies offer?

Finally, I believe temp jobs do not deserve 2 weeks notice. If the company is not committed to even directly hiring the worker then the worker has equally no commitment to the company. After 90 days or as soon as you get a direct offer just walk out on them and tell them why. If it causes them disruption too F'ing bad you should have thought about that before making that important position temp.
Im so very sorry it's been horrible for you.
I have told a recruiter i didn't like a job i was at and he did try to help so it varies by your recruiter.

Im hugging you now tho.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Once you get on the temp merry-go-round, it's very hard to get off.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Once you get on the temp merry-go-round, it's very hard to get off.

mm, no. I've been off and on with temps for years(maybe 10 or so) and I've done temp and have gotten jobs on my own so you aren't stuck on it.
Now if you are in an area or you keep yourself in a specific field of work then maybe that is why a person would be stuck with agencies.
I'm in MI and we had a 1 state recession for years before the rest of the country did so you moved around a lot taking whatever job you could get so that is why i have been in and out just fine with agencies.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaKK View Post
mm, no. I've been off and on with temps for years(maybe 10 or so) and I've done temp and have gotten jobs on my own so you aren't stuck on it.
Sorry but yes, it does sound like you get stuck doing lots of temp work. Ten years off and on? Which proves my point.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sorry but yes, it does sound like you get stuck doing lots of temp work. Ten years off and on? Which proves my point.
Exactly. It makes employers think you aren't cut out from the traditional workforce. Temps/contract workers are treated and viewed like second class citizens outside of a few very specialized positions in engineering and tech.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
I'd only take a temp to hire position if it was directly with a company and not through a temp agency.

Temp agencies are the worse unless you can get a direct hire position.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
I'll have been at my current job for a year as of August. I currently work doing customer support and project coordination for a small software company.

Things started off great, but over the past 2-3 months things have been so stressful and the workload so unmanageable that I've fallen into a deep depression and have anxiety attacks every other day due to everything that's going on. It's a fairly small company, so they don't have enough money to hire on new people to help with the workload, and the owner of the company is extremely stubborn about how things need to be done and what tools need to be used (hint: they're over 15 years old and have always been broken).

Last week I interviewed with an internet company that seems like a really good place to work. They called me the same day and wanted to offer me the job. Here's my problem: It's through a temp agency and not directly through the company. The person with whom I interviewed (who works for the company, not the temp agency) said, "Typically we have people on as temps for 30-90 days and then convert them to full time as long as something doesn't go horribly wrong." The recruiter through the temp agency confirmed this, as well, when I spoke to her about accepting the job.

Am I being unrealistic in taking what the interviewer and recruiter have said at face value? I've read A LOT of negative things about temp agencies and how they operate and I've never worked with one before, so I'm a little nervous about switching to a temp-to-hire job even though my health really can't take my current situation.
They're great salesmen.

Find another permanent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment