Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times

Advertisements

I was in the same situation in Dec 1992... Graduate BSME no job in a bad recession with high unemployment. But I had it harder than you because back then all job ads were in the newspaper and you had to type up a resume and cover letter on computer, print it, then mail it. No online thing like Monster, Careerbuilder, or LinkedIn. I also had to frequently go to my college Alumni Career Center and apply for jobs there. I eventually got my first job after a year with Fansteel Escast documenting half of an investment casting plant for ISO 9000. This was a $10 / hr 7 month internship, and it sure gave my career a good start because I got other Eng and Tech Writing jobs because of it.

I didn't do email until 1995. Still mailed job letters in 2000, that's how I got my job at Synchro Start.

You young guys have it easy to because most companies today have websites that you can apply for jobs to. Many companies didn't have websites back in 1992 and I had to rely on a book for company HR mailing addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM

231 posts, read 294,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
8. Apply for government jobs. It will take several months if you hear back but you might find an opportunity there.
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/334717500
"MANY vacancies." At least they have a sense of humor.

I just applied to these positions. I'm assuming people relocate to fill these types of jobs since most are out in the boonies. Still, I'd be very surprised to hear anything from them.

Last edited by andrewC7; 07-25-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
are you as depressed and miserable as I am? I feel so lonely and lost. It's pretty hard to expand your social circle when you're 23 and living with your parents. I do have a couple friends but they're busy with work & school most of the time. Most detrimental, no more serious dating.

I've been applying like crazy since April. I customize all my cover letters & resumes but I've only had 4 interviews.

I realized that I'm going to have to contact a local company and request a informational interview. I'm really starting to understand the importance of networking. I do have a Linkedin account and a couple references but that's about it. I despise asking people for help but I'm going to suck it up.

What kind of steps are you taking to cope? Part time jobs? Volunteering? hobbies? informational interviews etc...

I'm hoping that a part time job in retail will elevate my mood. I applied for volunteer work but I never got a response.

Well I think you should feel good that you atleast had 4 interviews and can just think about how you can improve you interviewing skills. Atleast you know that you have the resume that will generate a interview so now it's only a matter of time.

One Interview Tip: Try to look excited to meet the interviewer when you first make eye contact because it not only makes them feel good but it makes them less nervous

Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographystudies View Post
I wouldn't consider volunteering a meaningful path to employment. I volunteered for a few months at a hospital waiting for a position to open. One opened, I was more than qualified for it, I contacted the director and filed an application, and I obtained zero interviews and a standard rejection letter a couple weeks later. Needless to say, I did not waste another shift volunteering at that place.

The purpose of volunteering should be to help others not a path for employment.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/334717500
"MANY vacancies." At least they have a sense of humor.

I just applied to these positions. I'm assuming people relocate to fill these types of jobs since most are out in the boonies. Still, I'd be very surprised to hear anything from them.
1, the government is hiring despite the furloughs?

2, government jobs are competitive. Just as anywhere else, government work is competitive. If not more so because of the benefits you get.

3, government jobs depend on your neck of the woods. Some areas have many of these opportunities, others do not.

4, government jobs are VERY touchy on keywords. Case in point, my mom tried getting me a job with the government last year, it didn't pan out. Why because of the lack of keywords

5, the government prefers to give jobs to vets and always have. This is just a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment