Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,439 times

Advertisements

hi all
I am a Syrian guy (20 years old) who fled Syria to the US asking for asylum but now I have to live on my own.
so I have a high school diploma which is equivalent to the US diplomas and I can speak English well.
I left everything in Syria including my driving license (literally everything).
I have a place to stay in for the next month but after this month is over I have to find my own place.

so what kind of jobs can I have? I was planing for a roustabout job in ND but I couldn't move their due to financial issues.
I am thinking about getting a driving license which will allow me to drive big trucks ,is that possible?
I was looking into Craigslist Jobs and it seems that there are a lot of driving jobs out there.
how much will it cost to get this kind of driving license? and can I get a job if I have a driving license without experience?

if you were me ,what would you do?

note:
I am currently in Cleveland.

best;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'd get in touch with a charitable group like the United Way or an immigrant assistance group for their guidance about your next steps. Also, there are likely social groups for immigrants from areas. I know in the Boston area, there is International Institute (especially for refugees, not just immigrants) and a Lithuanian Club and similar gatherings of people. Some immigrant groups start their own credit union.
It sounds like you are somewhat isolated from other newcomers. I am not familiar with groups in Cleveland, but I'm sure they exist. Maybe start with the United Way charitable group. Go to a good library and ask the librarians to help you find the United Way or an immigrant/newcomer social service agency.
It's good that you finished high school and speak English well. You should be able to make things work. Best wishes.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
the licensing process will cost about $100 to the state, but you will have to provide a truck for the test. Most people will take a class, and the school provides the testing truck. It will take 1-15 weeks depending on the and school and the kind(s) of vehicle, cost $3,000-$20,000.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I can't speak to your situation, but I used to work with someone who was in the country with asylum from Columbia. I know for him at least being a political refugee didn't prevent him from getting any job that a native born American could get. It took him a little bit to get up on his feet, but he ended up doing very well. I don't remember the names of them, but he did tell me that there are a number of needs-based scholarships for asylees to go to US-based colleges.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Do you have a work permit?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 6,439 times
yea I do ,once the asylum is granted you are eligible to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment