Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's a defined benefit annuity, not a defined benefit pension. -Anyone- can invest in a tax deferred annuity, including people employed in the private sector.
What it comes down to is that the FERS annuity was adjusted downward specifically to make it comparable in value to private sector retirement benefits.
Good luck finding a tax deferred annuity that pays anywhere near FERS. It's not comparable at all to the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
It sounds (or at least seems like) that you have been offered a position that you think that you should seriously consider.

But is it really a good offer? No, not at all. You have been offered a job that pays 10% more than your current salary. At an organization that has far less stability and poorer benefits than you currently have. Why would you even think of such a move? You have done remarkably well where you are but you aren't being offered anything like that kind of career path in this new job.

With this gov't contractor (or even big 4), you are being offered the going rate. And really, without even a real consideration of your accomplishments or academic background. A couple of degrees? Check. Three-five years experience? Check. Security clearance? Check. A natural for a standard offer given, at standard pay.

Chances are highly likely your work life will be identical to what you are currently accustomed to. But at a lower level. A much lower level. As a GS13 you have the potential to do far more with the gov't than as a lower level contractor. Lets face it, you aren't being paid for who you know (sorry, you haven't been around that long) at this new job, just as a cog that can be checked off on a needs list.

Can you afford a possible layoff in the next few years? How long could you remain unemployed before accepting a job making half your current pay? Become unemployed (a distinct possibility in these times) and you will find yourself in competition with thousands of others with your same (or better) qualifications and might have no choice but to accept less (if you can find anything).

Its not to say that at some point down the road that you might be offered something that would be very tempting and difficult to turn down. Particularly after you've gained experience and have a wide network of contacts. But this offer isn't it. Its not even close.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,081 times
OP, also consider healthcare. It's pretty damn good working for the feds. I get med/dental/vision for my entire family for roughly 180 a check pre tax. My private sector friends pay double that and that is if they're lucky.

You're also a relatively high GS for your age. The grass isn't always greener. I worked in consulting when I left the military and it's not what it seems. There is plenty of boring tasks that need to be done and someone has to do them. I took the job in private industry because I was also jaded after the military. I came back to the government because I realized that there is BS in every job and you need to learn just deal with it (that's what I did).

Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM

505 posts, read 764,840 times
OP, if you receive an offer from the other organization, the only reasons I can see to take it would be:
1. Gain new experiences you want to have
2. Take advantage of much better advancement opportunities

The mid to upper management at many government contracting/consulting firms is often made up of senior retired military and civil service people, so there may not be as many opportunities to move up there as you think.

You WILL have less job security, worse retirement benefits, and less time off when you leave government.

Whether or not you will make more in a year or two depends on a lot of things, beyond your own performance.

I made the same transition you are considering, and don't regret it. Before you do it you really need to have your eyes wide open and understand all the things you are giving up, not just the greater potential upside in the private sector.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
In my field noone in their right mind would leave a fed job for the private sector. Most companies absolutely rape their science staff. The pay is much worse, the benefits are often nonexistent, and job security doesn't even exist in science nowadays in the private sector.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would let go of that job when they pried it from my dead cold fingers.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM

75 posts, read 123,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In my field noone in their right mind would leave a fed job for the private sector. Most companies absolutely rape their science staff. The pay is much worse, the benefits are often nonexistent, and job security doesn't even exist in science nowadays in the private sector.
Not sure job security exists for science positions in the fed.. At least the research ones.. They Are mostly 100% soft money, I.e. grant funded.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
I agree with the responses thus far... consider the better job security, flexibility, and long term benefits vs. more pay, more exciting environment.

If possible, let us know how you went.

I had an uncle who worked as a civil engineer at an US Army base. Retired after decades of doing that. He gets around $60K a year just on his pension alone. I hear the gov't is cutting down, so while current gov. employees still get good benefits, it doesn't seem what it used to be.

A friend who works in the State Dept. had a "mid life crisis" and considered switching work. I told him while that's not a bad thing, consider giving up furthering your gov't benefits, and that the economy ain't good and won't likely get that much better. The only way it'd really get better is if a portion of the population dies off, as it seems we're in a crowded world. He's continuing it so far, as part of the reason was the ppl he worked with (new assignment to a new place, he's got new coworkers now). He also recently accepted an assignment to Iraq, so that's gonna be scary, yet exciting at the same time.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
It's an interesting situation. I've only known one person, at or over GS-13, who did this and he was successful at moving from being a project analyst/manager into private sector contract research. I know two bright people at lower levels who made the hop, straight across, with mixed results. One has become a Sr. VP, while the other seems stuck two levels below this, although he's smart, hard working, and a good business developer. I recruited them both and I'm not sure i can put my finger on the causes, except that the one who is successful is more laid back and doesn't limit himself to the kind of research he markets and is located in DC, close to business.

I made the opposite switch after I recruited these two and am very happy I did. It was just too stressful for me: too much work when the economy was thriving; too little during recessions, when companies and governments would cut back on environmental economics research.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
I can understand the OP being young, and wanting to spread her wings, etc.- It would seem that her age has a lot to do with that, which, again, is understandable. However, having been around for quite a lot longer than she has been, I've seen the economy do all sorts of things good and bad- and I have to say that the feeling I get from the economy now is scarier than any I remember in the past. I thought maybe age had something to do with it, but I honestly don't think it does- things are different now, and on a much larger scale- and it just seems to be getting worse.

My husband works for the gov-and although he doesn't make a load of money, the job itself is about as secure as it could get in this economy. The benefits are good- I just think in the private sector, there is a much better chance of having a business go under, massive layoffs, etc.- and there isn't always the guarantee that someone leaving the fed to go into the private sector could easily get back in. That's not to say that the fed couldn't do massive layoffs, or that it is 100% guaranteed-but the chances are much better of being able to hang on to the job, as opposed to the private sector, IMO. And for the amount the OP makes at her job, I would be thanking my lucky stars to have a position making that much, especially with the fed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment