Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
\

I seen jobs with mutliple responsibilities but it was all in the same line of work. I never seen a company request someone to handle cash and trash lol Someone who has experience in handling cash would probably not have experience in deaing with trash. And someone who has experience in handling trash probably doesn't have experience in handling cash which is why the job posting makes no sense.
That is one of the most ridiculous things you've come up with yet and, Lord knows, there have been plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,755,293 times
Quote:
\

I seen jobs with mutliple responsibilities but it was all in the same line of work. I never seen a company request someone to handle cash and trash lol Someone who has experience in handling cash would probably not have experience in deaing with trash. And someone who has experience in handling trash probably doesn't have experience in handling cash which is why the job posting makes no sense.
When I worked at various convenience stores, we were expected to run the register, empty trash, clean restrooms, stock shelves, do inventory, check in vendors, make repairs, make coffee and hot dogs, clean the carwash, change signs outside, clean pumps, etc. This was about 15 years ago and we were lucky to get paid $7/hour.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,728,361 times
Quote:
Pay............................................... ...................................$9.00 an hour

Ridiculous and the sad part is they know someone is desperate enough to take the job. This company is all about dirty Business.
While I'm not familiar with the going rates of pay in Philly, the pay seems to be within the expected range of that kind of entry level, no-skill/low-skill job.

Quote:
I will not pass on to them because the hours are horrible and the pay is even worst.
I didn't see the hours mentioned, but your idea of the perfect work schedule won't necessarily be the right schedule for everyone. I know some people who choose to work shifts that the rest of us would hate (overnight, 6 am - 3 pm) because it allows them to split shift parent/attend school/take care of an elderly or sick relative.

I also hope you're not making the choice to not let your clients know about some job opportunities, based on your own personal set of values and rules... i.e., poor hours, don't like the job duties, online applications only. That doesn't seem like it would be in their best interests.

Quote:
\

A lot of entry level jobs require this -- retail and the food industry, for example.

While it doesn't sound like a dream job, it sounds like it could be a good opportunity for someone who has little to no work experience, or who is trying to get back into the workforce. If nothing else, it could give someone the opportunity to hold down a job for several months to prove to other prospective employers that they were reliable employees.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,355,022 times
Please I've seen ads for Chemists with a BS and several years experience for a few dollars an hour more.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And that's your call in the city agency you work for to make that decision when even people on this thread completely disagree with you? If you're preventing them from looking into positions such as this I have to wonder what you ARE passing on to them.

And what's wrong with the hours? If you quoted the ad verbatim, hours weren't even mentioned except that "days" were mentioned.
5pm to 12am. Too late

Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,033,452 times
Quote:
The position is Parking Garage Desk Attendant/Custodian

Duties: Answering Phones, completing transactions with day parkers, handling cash

Taking out trash, sweeping garage, and storage area, cleaning elevators and replacing lightbulbs

Applicant must have a good work ethic and people skills

Pay............................................... ...................................$9.00 an hour

Ridiculous and the sad part is they know someone is desperate enough to take the job. This company is all about dirty Business.
It would be minimum wage in Missouri. You're damn lucky to get $9 an hour if you are a freaking paralegal in this area.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times
Quote:
5pm to 12am. Too late
That's a 7 hour shift. "Too late" for who? Not the hours that YOU would necessarily want to work but I agree with Wry_Martini's comments on that score which you should probably read if you haven't done so already. It's not about you, it's about the people you're supposedly "helping" find employment.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,989,649 times
Someone would gladly take that job - and look for a better one during off hours.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,728,361 times
Quote:
5pm to 12am. Too late
Too late for your personal preferences.

And I suppose, possibly too late for someone who has to reply upon public transportation to get to/from work, but I have no idea what public transit is like in your city.

There's a number of reasons someone might actually want a job with those hours... and even if they didn't, they might be so grateful to have a job that they'd work whatever hours were requested.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's a 7 hour shift. "Too late" for who? Not the hours that YOU would necessarily want to work but I agree with Wry_Martini's comments on that score which you should probably read if you haven't done so already. It's not about you, it's about the people you're supposedly "helping" find employment.
I don't want to provide any job lead that will have some catching public transportation at 12am. If they chose to do it on their own then fine. The stick up boys look to rob people in this city during that time of night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment