Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 11,967 times

Advertisements

So most of my life I've wanted to become a pharmacist, but now I'm kinda scared because apparently there are no jobs!

It would suck to go through more than 5 years of study and still not have a job. I'm going to be a senior this year, so I really need to make up my mind fast too.

I guess why I'm also on the fence is because I'm not that good at math either, so the career would be a little more difficult for me and I don't want to go through all that without any outcome, you know?

Apparently, the whole "baby boomers" theory is just a thing that colleges are saying to get more students as well.

So basically, is it worth it? If not, what do you think are the more "in demand" jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I know of someone that got a job as a pharmacist immediately after completing schooling. Within the past year.

Why do you say there are no jobs?

You said you are a senior...in high school or college?

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-29-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
My neighbor is a pharmacist in the military and oversees a very large military hospital and he makes real good money. Might want to look into the military about jobs and paying for school.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolthatsme View Post
So most of my life I've wanted to become a pharmacist, but now I'm kinda scared because apparently there are no jobs!

It would suck to go through more than 5 years of study and still not have a job. I'm going to be a senior this year, so I really need to make up my mind fast too.

I guess why I'm also on the fence is because I'm not that good at math either, so the career would be a little more difficult for me and I don't want to go through all that without any outcome, you know?

Apparently, the whole "baby boomers" theory is just a thing that colleges are saying to get more students as well.

So basically, is it worth it? If not, what do you think are the more "in demand" jobs?
Would you be willing to work in North Dakota? Mississippi? Alaska?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I have two friends, one is a pharmacist, the other is still in school but works at a pharmacy already- as far as I can tell they have no problems finding employment. One is in Los Angeles, CA, the other is in Seattle, WA.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
There are plenty of jobs, many making 6 figures.

You have to be really really good at math, however.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,967 times
I see thanks guys, though being "really good at math" worries me. :/

Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:

Look at the indeed.com forums-lots of pharmacists looking for work...

However, if you are flexible in where you live you should be ok...

Plus it's too late to worry about it isn't it?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:

Definitely worth it, especially if you can get into a six year accelerated program.

Absolutely, no question, one of the best deals out there.

The problem you are hearing about is that new PharmD schools are popping up all over the place because the career is hot. But the equivalent # of jobs is not going up. So, in the future, it will be harder for Pharmacists to find jobs. If you graduate 5 or 6 years from now, it might take you a year or two to find a job. But once you do, you should be solid.

One of my friends is a retail pharmacist, and although he has always feared losing his job, he never has. It's been about 10 years now.

If I could go back in time, I'm pretty sure that's the career I would pick.

The job is a lot more stressful than people think though.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
I see thanks guys, though being "really good at math" worries me. :/
If you're not good at math, it'll be tough to get into Pharmacy school.

It's not like getting into medical school, but you'll still need to get Bs in Calc and Physics.

Just work at it and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment