Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
They're being paid minimum wage ($7.25/hour in NY) with NO benefits at all while these corporations are making billions in profit every year.
What the 'corporation' is making is not relevant to what the workers are being paid. The corp does not set the wages. Most fast food outfits are franchises with different ownership than the corporation that licenses them. The corporate profits come from franchise fees and royalties, etc.

Quote:
They're asking for $15/hour (which would barely get you by in NYC) and benefits and the right to form a union.

I'm thinking they'll get $10/hour, very few benefits, and no union.

I hope they're successful. I don't eat at fast food places but I think these people deserve a decent wage.
No. What they deserve to get paid is the amount they agreed to work for when they took the job, no more, no less.

No one 'deserves' to make some particular amount of money just for getting their butt out of bed and going to work. The job pays what the job pays, and if someone doesn't like it, he or she is free to improve skills and knowledge and go get a job that pays better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM

131 posts, read 323,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
They all sound like fools. If fast food workers made $15.00 a hour all the food prices would rise. It already cost damm near $10 to eat dinner at McDonalds's in 2013.
Wrong.

It would cost pennies extra. I wish people didn't believe the bunk these corporations try to sell you about how they are just so troubled to pay a fair wage. Unskilled or not, they need these workers to make their billion dollar profits. Any human being that spends an honest 8 hours each day working deserves at least an fair wage.

Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study

Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
In the end, it is a wasted gesture. They're not aiming the lesson at the left: The left already knows that economic inequality has doubled in a generation, and supports returning the balance to where it was a generation ago, so they're preaching to the choir there. And expecting Republicans and other right-wingers to actually care about the basic needs of other people instead of their own personal comfort is a pipe dream these days.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
Any human being that spends an honest 8 hours each day working deserves at least an fair wage.
Which is why there is a federally mandated minimum wage. Your point?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
Wrong.

It would cost pennies extra. I wish people didn't believe the bunk these corporations try to sell you about how they are just so troubled to pay a fair wage. Unskilled or not, they need these workers to make their billion dollar profits. Any human being that spends an honest 8 hours each day working deserves at least an fair wage.

Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study

This is not the type of job doesn't that offers fair wages And all those clowns on strike is basically saying..........."i have no other skills and since I am stuck here forever I deserve a raise"

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Welcome to the new work week in America. Gone are the days of a 40 hour workweek where you were paid a decent wage, gone are perks like paid health insurance, and vacation pay. Gone are the days when you could come out of High School and either go to college or know you could find a decent job at some American company and grow in that job. Gone is any loyalty on the part of the company who wanted to keep good employees. Gone is the security of knowing your job or even your company would be around for a long time and that you could actually retire from it if you chose. And gone, mostly, are manufacturing jobs that utilized a labor force of trained workers who were paid reasonably for their skills.

The company I work for prides itself on being supportive of a "Quality of Worklife" where employees can have security and the chance to advance and have a career. But the truth is, they have trimmed working hours and hourly pay rates so low only young kids and retirees like me can work there because a family man or woman could not exist on the salary they pay. They consider full time 32 hours a week, and in the Summer they will trim down the stores budget so far that some employees get as little as 6 or 8 hours a week. The stores tend to use the lower paid employees more than the higher paid ones to stretch the dollars available as much as possible, so the higher paid people have to use PTO time to survive and keep their eligibility for health insurance.

The irony of all this is that companies are demanding the same level of customer service and store maintenance with many fewer people, and they seem oblivious to the fact that a human being can only do so much. But if you can't do it you are not a "team player."

Yep, welcome to the future of how business is done in America, and if you don't like it there will be 100 other people right behind you who will gladly take the job, even if they could make more on welfare. Nothing will change until America starts making things here again instead of being a service country for products made elsewhere. Manufacturing drives a good economy, just look at China and how they are growing because they make things there.

Don

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Quote:
I can't say I blame them. They're being paid minimum wage ($7.25/hour in NY) with NO benefits at all while these corporations are making billions in profit every year.

They're asking for $15/hour (which would barely get you by in NYC) and benefits and the right to form a union.

I hope they're successful. I don't eat at fast food places but I think these people deserve a decent wage.
the job is worth what the company is willing to pay. they have no special skills or education and can easily be replaced so i dont see this working out well for them.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM

259 posts, read 670,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
In the end, it is a wasted gesture. They're not aiming the lesson at the left: The left already knows that economic inequality has doubled in a generation, and supports returning the balance to where it was a generation ago, so they're preaching to the choir there. And expecting Republicans and other right-wingers to actually care about the basic needs of other people instead of their own personal comfort is a pipe dream these days.

Expecting Republicans or Democrats to lower taxes or stop the war machine is the pipe dream these days. Bombs don't grow global wealth, they destroy it.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
those jobs are for 17-20 years old students who want to make some money. It doesn't make sense to have union. If I own any fast food franchises, I want to get out when I have to pay $15/hour those workers.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Quote:
I can't say I blame them. They're being paid minimum wage ($7.25/hour in NY) with NO benefits at all while these corporations are making billions in profit every year.

I would fire any who did not show up for work or did anything to harm my franchise. Since these places are mostly owned by small mom and pop franchise owners that cannot afford to pay more or offer benefits. After all these are not carrier type jobs. If your too unskilled or don't have the wherewithal to move up in in the work force at least you have these unskilled, beginner jobs as a safety net. These jobs are for high school and collage age kids. Anyone trying to raise a family on such a job has bigger issues than the pay they freely choose to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment