Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

a quick recap...

somewhere preferably within 12 hours of Augusta, Ga. I'm looking for a job paying at least $18 hour or at least $12 hour with lots of overtime.

Hi, I live in Augusta, in my 30s.. I kind of think I need a new look in my life, a new start, new environment, etc...

I've dealt with some depression, lost my job and haven't been able to find another job paying close to what I was making ($700 a week). I've accepted with no college degree I probably wont go to another warehouse and start off making what I was but i'm not finding anything close to my old pay.

I've had some close calls with big named chemical plants and factories like Coca-Cola but I guess when they trimmed the applicants down, they didn't pick me (1 chemical plant told me i made the final four out 300 applicants.....that's some serious competition for 2 open positions).

While unemployed i've been looking and looking, my search seems to have dried up in Georgia (Atlanta and Augusta), yes i could get my foot in some companies by coming in as a temp, but i need money fast before i lose everything i obtained.

I'd love a city less than 12 hours from Augusta. I hear those oil rigs pay excellent money, i've saw some in San Antonio that takes entry level....that's about 18hours from me and i'd be making about $650 working 7 days a week. its a possibility but there has to be a better way.

Any boom cities for a non educated, no trade general labor guy? I have over 12 years warehouse experience. I hear loading and unloading on ports pays good, but i can't find those jobs online. The jobs i'm seeing that pay are port loader jobs, oil rigs, chemical plants, and railroad. Any other suggestions or cities with a lot of opportunity for a general labor type (entry level) guy? I think most of the big car plant jobs are booked, I don't know how to get in a union or anything.

I hear Savannah has those good port jobs, but i never see them hiring online.

I'm open to go up north, this south heat is starting to effect me, i'd love to live somewhere that has an ocean but that's not mandatory.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Besides north dakota, I believe you are SOL unless you get lucky. Keep in mind though, most of those oil jobs are wanting experience now. I know this because I've talked with people who live in the man camps. Most of the "boom" stuff is becoming hype. But there are other jobs there. Like fast food, and retail. Walmart is paying about $19 per hour for the night shift. Housing is expensive and the winters are brutal. Months ago local charities sent tons of people back to where they came from, many of them homeless. Not because there weren't jobs but because of the housing shortage.

Anywhere else that's how it goes nowadays when you have no skills. Compete with 300 people from all walks of life, or get some kind of certified skill and your competition goes from 300 applicants to 10. Much better chances. You are completely replaceable and there are 100 people in line fighting to take your place. Don't believe the people who tell you getting a job with no skills is easy...."just fill out an application" they say....if they ONLY knew how much more it takes. They never will.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
And don't belive naysayers that have no success - they never will.

Anyway, OP, I'd check the Eagle Ford Shale Oil/Gas fields for roustabout work (SE TX), or - even better - if it's possible for you to get a CDL w/ Hazmat certs you could pull double that kind of money pretty easily. It's not 12 hours from Augusta, probably more like 15-16. You might also want to check places like Beaumont/Port Arthur/Houston.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,647 times
thanks for the responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Besides north dakota, I believe you are SOL unless you get lucky. Keep in mind though, most of those oil jobs are wanting experience now. I know this because I've talked with people who live in the man camps. Most of the "boom" stuff is becoming hype. But there are other jobs there. Like fast food, and retail. Walmart is paying about $19 per hour for the night shift. Housing is expensive and the winters are brutal. Months ago local charities sent tons of people back to where they came from, many of them homeless. Not because there weren't jobs but because of the housing shortage.

Anywhere else that's how it goes nowadays when you have no skills. Compete with 300 people from all walks of life, or get some kind of certified skill and your competition goes from 300 applicants to 10. Much better chances. You are completely replaceable and there are 100 people in line fighting to take your place. Don't believe the people who tell you getting a job with no skills is easy...."just fill out an application" they say....if they ONLY knew how much more it takes. They never will.

very good advice, i've been hearing a lot of the same from forums and there's even a guy on youtube saying how scarce housing is out there. I definitely need to get a trade but i really need a good job asap. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
And don't belive naysayers that have no success - they never will.

Anyway, OP, I'd check the Eagle Ford Shale Oil/Gas fields for roustabout work (SE TX), or - even better - if it's possible for you to get a CDL w/ Hazmat certs you could pull double that kind of money pretty easily. It's not 12 hours from Augusta, probably more like 15-16. You might also want to check places like Beaumont/Port Arthur/Houston.

thanks Ez Peterson, yeah to drive oil trucks every single company i've saw is wanting at least a year cdl experience, some are wanting 2 and 3 years to drive in the oil game. So roustabouts is entry level no experience?

I saw a company in San Antonio hiring no experience helpers. it was only $13 hr but they do about 60 hours a week, so I guess i'd still be bringing in well over $600 a week. Only thing is i'm scared of that heat out there, I hear its another level and Augusta has been bad enough for me this year (i'm always sweating). Also finding somewhere to stay, i looked on clist for a rooming house and didn't see anything under $160 a week for a room. Then looking online san antonio seems like the last city in America i'd want to stay...but i'll do what i have to do.

thanks

Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Hit the oil service company's websites, and look for postings. There's a ton of smaller operations spread out everywhere.

Look at Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Baker Hughes, Key, GE Oil & Gas. Flexibility is your friend.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Be really careful going to north Dakota, I would not go there without a girl friend and I would make sure your employer arranged housing because its out of control there right now. IF your girl friend leaves you then I would leave because your odds of getting laid there without a girl friend or wife are slim to none, its a massive sausage fest.

It would take at least a quarter million a year for me to be involuntarily celibate.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
You won't get any kind of trucking job without a CDL. From what I've heard, there was actually some kind of training program williston had going on that was funded by a grant and there were plenty of people interested in it. There are people up there living in RV's because there is just nowhere to live. Rent is insane. Like $1,000-2,000 a month for 1 bedrooms. Like anything in life, there's always a catch somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment