Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Profit Definition | Investopedia
Definition of 'Profit'
A financial benefit that is realized when the amount of revenue gained from a business activity exceeds the expenses, costs and taxes needed to sustain the activity. Any profit that is gained goes to the business's owners, who may or may not decide to spend it on the business.

Calculated as:

Profit = Total Revenue - Total Expenses

Your Quote
"So just so I understand a business spends money it made (or in other words- a profit)" It is not a profit if it spends money it made on expenses for the business. The money it made is revenue.

Your not going to win. The definition is right in front of you.

BTW. I went to college and was one of those people who got a job right out of college for obvious reasons (I understand basic concepts like profit). It wasn't a "scam" to me. Instead of being stubborn and arguing about my mistakes, I learn from them. Very important if you want to make it far in life and the working world.
That wasn't his quote and who cares who "wins", we are just have a civilized discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
So, basically, there are just two countries that have such a system. Which is far cry from Europe, which would imply every country.

I wonder what it takes to make Americans start to realise that Europe is collection of countries with different cultures, languages and systems.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
So, basically, there are just two countries that have such a system. Which is far cry from Europe, which would imply every country.

I wonder what it takes to make Americans start to realise that Europe is collection of countries with different cultures, languages and systems.
Well since you are from Europe why don't you ask around. Germany makes up a large portion of the EU I am sure we can agree on that.

You know what the say about assume. I am married to a Czech have relatives in many EU countries.

But hey it's fine you have made up your mind that I am some ignorant American.

Did you get the memo that the Czech Republic and Slovakia are two separate countries. When will Europeans realize they aren't the same country?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

I did not make up my mind, you pretty much did it for me. If you are married to a Czech, why still say "Europe does or Europe has"?
If there was one such system that all of Europe uses, we could compare Europe to the US, but for now, we can't. So don't. Every country needs to have its educational system compared individually.

Nope, I never got the memo. I did read it in the news. But since those countries have been one for so long, and separated so (fairly) recently it is safe to assume that their educational systems are stil very much alike to what they were when it was one country. The cultures may be different and always have been, but systems do not change that quickly.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM

HR-if you are interested I would like to know what Holland uses?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Holland uses a "layered" system, that is hard to explain, so forgive me if I cannot make it clear the first time.

Every child goes to elementary school, called Basisschool. From age 4 to 12. That is the same for everyone, except special needs children. I am not familiar with special needs children.
Then children go to their secondary education. Which can be any of three types. For the smartest children this is VWO, which is designed to prepare you for university. But this has been split into two. Gymnasium for those who take Latin and ancient Greek and Atheneum for those who don't. The second highest level is called havo, which prepares for a more practical bachelor degree education. The lowest level is called vmbo, which is again split into four levels. The highest level, or two level prepare you for het mbo, which is comparable with an associate's degree. Vmbo lasts 4 years, havo 5 years and vwo 6 years.
After mbo you can continue to hbo, which gives you a bachelor's degree upon completion, albeit a practical one. At university these days, you first obtain a bachelor degree, but a different one from the one at hbo. In the past you immediately obtained your master's degree.

That is pretty much in a nutshell the Dutch education system.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Sure, I will tell you whatever you want to know. Please feel free to ask.
I am curious how it compares to what I wrote is Holland's similar to the three I mentioned? I will ask my Irish relatives when I get a chance.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
True. But I would argue that a lot of people don't go out of their way to find those opportunities. My career is in research (for a Pharma company). I came into this field by way of my reseach experience in grad school and as an undergrad in my Psych programs. My first practical, clinical research "job" was working on a clinical study for a professor and a few of her grad students when I was an undergrad. I stopped by to ask about joining her team. She said her two work-study slots were full (tuition stipend in exchange for working with her). I told her I would do the work for no compensation if she let me join her team, just so I could get the experience. The skills I learned during those two years formed a basis for what became my entire career. And that is because when I wasn't being handed something I felt I needed while in college, I went out and searched for it myself.
And in many cases these aren't so publicized. Internships are to an extent but as I've stated before, it will take away time from other course work (unless you plan on doing summer and winter course loads.) I think part of the problem in some cases are the whole you need to finish in "X" guidelines through either society; parents; or grants and scholarship programs. That and being well-rounded and active in clubs also dig into time. Not everyone can just look at the homework, skim through notes and get B's and A's on tests, some have to spend hours. I am sure I was always a student who annoyed everyone else based on how well I typically did on tests.

Also different majors have different availability of these programs too. A business major would not get this (but would get internship opportunities); teaching majors would be open to student teach and volunteer programs; dentistry majors help out with a dental clinic; and I am sure you can think of more for your individual programs. The issue is the timing. If you have a job and have a full boat, it takes away from it. We want to think that you should be able to work, learn and be active but time is one of the most easy resource that we can squander and it doesn't help when you have a lot on your plate when it's five courses, a job and a club or two.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
There seems to be 2 different camps on in this issue.

The first camp says that college is a scam because high school guidance counselors hype it up and the government dangles free money in front of the kids, most of whom will graduate with no marketable skills and be significantly behind in life, in a much worse position than if they had taken a job right out of high school.

The second camp then argues that, since a lot of kids do make college worth it for themselves, the fact that the others don't is their fault and not the fault of the college system. "You should've majored in STEM and done internships. That's your fault for thinking a degree in History would get you a job right out of college."

Although the second camp makes a good point, I fall more into the first camp. Yes, buyer beware, but I think we have a system set up where kids graduating high school aren't researching the job market, figuring out the value of degrees, etc., because why worry about that when Uncle Sam is gonna pay for your tuition, room and board while you do what your parents are telling you by taking your time and trying to figure out what you want to major in?

I think the solution is simple. Eliminate government student loans. Or at least do some halfway measure, maybe something where the government pays half your tuition, so you still are spending your own money and subsequently making more informed decisions about how you're trying to get your education to translate into career prospects. Of course this will never happen because the left-wingers will say that by not handing out free money we're not giving everyone equal opportunity because there probably exists some smart, motivated boy in the ghetto who will never rise above his living conditions because he's not able to pay for college.
(1) I think college is worth the experience.
(2) College does indeed increase one's hireability, although it is not guaranteed and expectations should be based on the calibur of your school, your field, and your actual academic merits.
(3) I am 28 and still go to school. I am working on my 9th and 10th degree (3 certificates, 4 baccalaureates, 3 masters) while also working. I will continue to go to school as long as I can get to go for free/low cost and it does not prevent me from working.
(4) My current job places me in an economic level above most of the country, and it was largely due to my academic merits.
(5) I wouldn't call myself smart, but I was indeed a motivated boy from the proverbial 'ghetto'. I didn't receive handouts but scholarships. I also served our country, and the Department of Defense (or Army derivative) have paid for some of my schooling.
(6) I do think loans should no longer be subsidized by the government. Our culture thinks that college is a necessity, so much so that it is a right. It is not a right, and should not be seen as a necessity. Too many people are going into college thinking that regardless of where they go and what they do, as long as they graduate they should expect an immediate high-flying career into executive stardom. The fact of the matter is, those positions are limited; far more limited than the number of people graduating from colleges across the country. Everyone has to realize that everyone has a role in society, and just because your job doesn't actually require a degree does not mean it is any less respectable.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
...Everyone has to realize that everyone has a role in society, and just because your job doesn't actually require a degree does not mean it is any less respectable.
Indeed. People need to stop worrying about if college is a scam or if they you can make a living with no college degree and actually figure out where they fit in in the grand scheme of things. If you can figure that out, the rest will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment