Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 20,376 times

Advertisements

Like my self and a few others have said this poll really means nothing. Some of you if not many of you fail to recognize the reality of things. And by reality I mean the factual statistics on accredited sites on income by education attainment. Iam a believer of the FACTS. Not random post by strangers

"Believe only half of what you see and nothing you hear"

Last edited by bakeranita; 08-16-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You doubt 3 day weekends? Really?

I too am on a 3 day weekend. Do you doubt my employment? It's actually pretty common to take a vacation or comp day on summer Fridays.
3 day weekends are common place in IT. My friend that works at the same company but as a Network Contoller at our NOC does 4 on and 3 off. Sometimes he gets 4 off depending on how things play out. He still makes 6 figures and works and lives in Germany. Anyone that doesn't believe IT can be lucrative and not back breaking work needs to broadened their horizons. I don't get 3 days but when I'm done traveling all over the world I might transfer to the same NOC.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Ooookkkkkaaaayyyy.....

Too coincidental? I don't really get this objection.

I don't really care if you believe me, Dan or anyone else on this thread. The question was posed, several people replied, take it for what you want.

I tend to believe Dan. My guess is that he has obtained certifications in project management, ISO, plus a specialty construction thing. Maybe in steel erection, welding, electrician's license or similar. He worked on a couple of small, local projects and got them done ahead of schedule and under budget. He is flexible and able to move to a job site across the state on one days notice, staying in a hotel for weeks at a time. He has a knack for seeing that one area where a job is getting hung up and is not afraid to kick some ass and get in somebody's face to break the logjam.

His salary estimate is probably a bit optimistic. He is assuming constant employment and constant per diems, which will in reality be a bit spotty. Some of the per diem is being spent on hotels, so it is not really income as much as reimbursement. But a good construction site manager is worth his weight in gold, and I really don't care if they have a degree as long as the building gets put up on time according to code.

Dan, am I close?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
3 day weekends are common place in IT. My friend that works at the same company but as a Network Contoller at our NOC does 4 on and 3 off. Sometimes he gets 4 off depending on how things play out. He still makes 6 figures and works and lives in Germany. Anyone that doesn't believe IT can be lucrative and not back breaking work needs to broadened their horizons. I don't get 3 days but when I'm done traveling all over the world I might transfer to the same NOC.
Sure, there are a lot of different reasons to have a 3day weekend. Comp days, working 4x40, floating work weeks.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I believe I posted earlier in this thread that anecdotes are not data, and that in general degrees will add to your earning potential. I am not disputing that fact.

Some people do well without degrees. Most people do not.
Your message got muddied as the topic goes on. Now the topic has devolved into a "I make more money than youuuuuuu!" e-battle. Neither you nor I am disputing that a college degree will enhance your earning potential. It is definitely an accomplishment. If I had obtained an NYU degree, I'd definitely be doing ok on the name alone. Whether or not I'd be making more is a matter of debate, because a Fine Arts degree doesn't translate into riches.

What is being asserted is that not obtaining one isn't a kiss of death, where you're consigned to a life of scraping by, drudgery, backbreaking work, low pay, and whatever other thing one can think of. If you've received any post-secondary training, you're ahead of someone who simply has a high school diploma. Many people who lack degrees and are successful are those who have received further training, obtained experience, and perhaps a stroke of luck. My husband is such a person. When he dropped out of UT, he started at $8/hr in the mailroom and now he is an analyst making over 78,000 without his year end bonuses. It is not unreasonable to think that he could make six figures. He is surrounded by college educated people and interacts with many people who have far more schooling than him. And he does just fine. I deal with lawyers all day and they respect me. If you're smart, you're smart..that's not something you just pick up. FWIW, both of us did very well in high school and had excellent grades. We weren't aimless when we graduated. For one reason or another, we decided to push "pause" on education and wanted to work. For me, I wanted to scrap in the real world, I was tired of classroom instruction.

I have every intention of returning to school in the future. I am young. This time, with life experience under my belt, I think I'd be a better student and really appreciate college. I'd return not for the money, but because it's something that I want to do.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
When you've put in long, tedious hours towards earning a degree, you've been scammed and are destined for a career flipping burgers or serving iced lattes.

When you don't have a degree, you're the real winner for beating the system and not wasting your time being corrupted by the left-wing establishment. Also, since Bill Gates and Steve Jobs did it, it further validates the point that college is a waste.

Sometimes you just can't win.
Most degrees are worthless but some of the classics are not and irreplaceable.

Engineering, Accounting, Finance, Medicine, hard sciences, law, IT and maybe a couple other.

Most people who can obtain 'quantitative' or other actually difficult subject matters could do anyone else's job in the weak, go-through-the-motion degrees like these.

i.e. marketing, communication, education, general studies, physical training certs, etc.

These don't really deserve to be in the same conversation as the real degrees.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I think its also worth to point out military training/discipline helps too. I'm not an ex military but I had to work on my image and how I project myself. I got my training dating on match.com in NYC LOL. I'm hot!
Anything that helps the cause....LOL.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My sister has an MD, an Ivy League degree, and $150,000 in loans. She makes about 60% of what you do. And she works 60 hours a week.

You have 10 years of experience, and degrees which you got while you were working FT. Not to mention you had time for a wife (and kids?).

I have 10 years of experience and degrees which were not obtainable online. I make a paltry fraction of what you make. I'm not grossly underpaid. I'm paid market rate for my profession, which is engineering.

I won't go as far as to belittle your accomplishments and call you overpaid, but you ARE aware of what others around you make, right?
Everyone I know around me makes similar pay. Everyone in the same field as me makes comparable pay. It's not crazy or odd, I've been making my salary since 2006. I can't speak for your field but our engineers make a crapload. Not sure what to say but maybe you are limiting yourself some. I bet if you really wanted to you could blow your current salary away.

Oh and I have zero student loans. My company plus my GI Bill covered it all. No one in my field has student loans either. Maybe a few do but I've never ran into them.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My sister has an MD, an Ivy League degree, and $150,000 in loans. She makes about 60% of what you do. And she works 60 hours a week.

You have 10 years of experience, and degrees which you got while you were working FT. Not to mention you had time for a wife (and kids?).

I have 10 years of experience and degrees which were not obtainable online. I make a paltry fraction of what you make. I'm not grossly underpaid. I'm paid market rate for my profession, which is engineering.

I won't explicitly call you overpaid, but you ARE aware of what others around you make, right?
If he's a contractor to the DOD. They get paid well but you can lose you're job in a second if the command cuts it.

I've had friends make a similar amount one year and be unemployed the next year.

I could be wrong and he may not be a contractor. But that's my guess.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
He's a contractor to the DOD. They get paid well but you can lose you're job in a second if the command cuts it.

I've had friends make a similar amount one year and be unemployed the next year.
Very possible but unlikely if your in demand. I've never been unemployed and always getting emails from company recruiters. If you play your career fast and loose and don't better yourself with degrees or certs that apply to your position being unemployed is very likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment