Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,519 times

Advertisements

I would review your dress code if you have one to see if it says anything about hairstyles. If not, get growing. If anyone complains, you have an EEO case. Not sure why in this day and age it would be an issue unless you work for some sort of hyper conservative org where there aren't any black people. As a black man, I know these exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,122 times
It's already been clarified what are considered professional, normal hairstyles for women in the workplace, so the OP would be wise and not wear an afro if she respects her boss and her peers. She's questioning this decision because she knows it isn't considered professional in the workplace.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times
I like the short natural afro as well as the longer and fuller natural afro and they both are really in fashion right now and, I believe, widely accepted as attractive looks. Right now, I prefer to see natural hair more-so than most straightened hair - It seems more "in" with the times and shows a classy energy.

Straightened hair sometimes reminds me of those plastic interchangeable hair things on those Fisher Price toys.

That being said, I know some hair that could never be set free in the corporate world without some taming no matter what the owner's race. So, its a tough call.

I think, like every other hairstyle, if it looks sharp it shouldn't be a problem. Now, if you went ostentatious like Foxy Cleopatra in Gold Member, OR if your hair looks limp, matted, or highlights bare spots, then you could cause some awkward issues at work.

On a fashion note: Your normal accessories may need to be checked out to be sure they match the change in hair, of course.

I would test it out on a day where things are more relaxed at work. For instance, choose a day when you know no big meetings are happening. Not because I think it would be embarrassing, but rather that I think YOU would have less stress.

Maybe a less confrontational way to do this would be to take a picture of yourself with your natural hair dressed in work attire and bring it in the HR. But, it just seems wrong to have to ask about hair like this though. I mean, it's not like asking if you would wear a mohawk, or something really odd.

That's my nickel...

Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
It's already been clarified what are considered professional, normal hairstyles for women in the workplace, so the OP would be wise and not wear an afro if she respects her boss and her peers. She's questioning this decision because she knows it isn't considered professional in the workplace.
African-American natural hair is disrespectful? So it's okay for any other race to wear their hair in it's natural state, but for black people it's disrespectful?
Anyways, I wear my hair natural and short. I worked for a Fortune 500 company when I big chopped and I received plenty of compliments, from whites and blacks. And I haven't had any problems getting employment because of my hair.
I was a little apprehensive also when I big chopped and I've been natural for about 17 years. This is, at least, my second big chop. However, I think my nerves were due more to going from a longer natural style to a very short one. It'll be a little nerve-wracking the first day, maybe second, but by day three you'll be fine.
You can still look professional with short, natural hair. And probably cuter, too. Not saying you're not attractive now because I don't know what you look like, but having short hair brings out your facial features. I look much better with shorter hair and I tend to play up my eyes and cheekbones. And wear accessories! Namely earrings and necklaces, they play up your face. I especially love statement necklaces. Have fun with it. You wouldn't be offending anyone.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I disagree. She posted a picture of the type of style she's considering, and it's very conservative. If we were talking about a hairstyle that was large and distracting, perhaps that would make a difference, as I don't think it's a great idea for any woman in a professional corporate setting to choose a hairstyle that draws attention to their appearance rather than the work they're doing, and that's irregardless of race, but this one is lovely and quite conservative--very appropriate for the workplace.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM

101 posts, read 201,665 times
an afro no imo
the only thing i have ever heard discourages is having visible tattoos like down your arms

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I'm a little confused as to what the OP was actually expecting from this thread.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Would we even have this thread if it wasn't about an African American hairstyle?

No white woman is ever going to worry about what her hairstyle means to her employment, and nobody is going to seriously suggest that she check with HR for approval.

This is completely ludicrous. I am appalled that the OP even has to ask.

Get your afro. Maintain it in a clean and professional manner, which is the only criteria that matters. If you get grief for it, document the hell out of it. If by some inconceivable chance this results in job consequences for you, sue the racist SOB who runs your company, because race IS a protected employment category.

No reasonable person should do anything more than acknowledge your new look in anything other than a professional and courteous manner.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
The style in the pic is fine. I have seen that in a corporate office.

Just curious, does anybody in your office have an Afro?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Would we even have this thread if it wasn't about an African American hairstyle?

No white woman is ever going to worry about what her hairstyle means to her employment, and nobody is going to seriously suggest that she check with HR for approval.

This is completely ludicrous. I am appalled that the OP even has to ask.

Get your afro. Maintain it in a clean and professional manner, which is the only criteria that matters. If you get grief for it, document the hell out of it. If by some inconceivable chance this results in job consequences for you, sue the racist SOB who runs your company, because race IS a protected employment category.

No reasonable person should do anything more than acknowledge your new look in anything other than a professional and courteous manner.
I don't agree that other races don't worry about their hair relative to work. I remember asking about my asymmetrical cut years ago in a conservative office. It is a very real concern in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment