Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times

Advertisements

There is no shortage of healthcare workers. I'm in nursing school and a lot of new grads are having a hard time finding their first job. It is a myth that healthcare is a stable field...it isn't. Many hospitals aren't hiring anyone or are cutting their staff tremendously.

So please don't tell this young man to pursue nursing for the stability and money. He would be sorely disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
First, I'd like to say, congrats on your B.A. degree...you are already ahead of like 50%+ of the world's population, so you have nothing to worry about. At 23, you have accomplished more in your life than what some 40 year olds have. So, please don't think that you should have "more". Now, you have to get tougher, smarter, faster, stronger. What I mean by this is, you have to cut ties with any and everyone that is not helping you to accomplish your goal(s)....even if it is a family member....and yes....even your own parents. I am also a minority with a B.A. in Business, and I can tell, the industry is NOT looking for that degree in this recession. There is nothing wrong with you or your skills, it is the "times" we are living in. There are only two fields left: Healthcare and Computers. At 23, you are still just starting out, so you still need that support from your family....and if they are not giving it to you...I need for you to throw up the "peace" sign, wish them well, and move on.

At $400 a month, you can afford a room/studio for half the price without being in your parent's home (and without the stress too). You are not able to afford a full one bedroom apartment on your own yet....that is okay. You are just starting out and 23 is still a baby. I will suggest a plan for you:

1. Get out of your mother's house- I do not care if you have to rent a room in someone's house or have 5 roomates or live in a cheap shabby studio.....your peace of mind is very important when it comes to thinking clearly.

2. Get a healthcare job- you may or may not like it, but some income beat no income. Employers are always hiring caregivers, C.N.A.'s, home health aides. A lot of agencies will take people off the street and train them to become a caregiver. Pay is not that great, but the work is steady and you will have health insurance. If you work with the mentally disabled, or at the VA hospital, you can get paid a little above average and have unlimited access to overtime. You can do this while pursuing a nursing degree...most LVN programs are less than a year and very affordable.

3. If you don't want to get into the healthcare industry, look for jobs with insurance agencies or in education. My friend also has a degree in Business, and he couldn't find a decent paying job. One day, I suggested he apply to insurance companies like, 'Progressive'.....he is now working as a Marketing Analyst for 'Bluecross' making $40,000 a year. As far as education jobs; look for tutoring positions in learning centers or tutoring companies. They will take anyone who has a Bachelors degree

Good luck to you, and please update us on how everything is going. I can relate to your story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
as exaggerated or as perhaps at this point it is a myth (nursing shortage), healthcare is still probably one of the most solid fields to pursue. It is not as if anthro, pysch and sociology majors are getting hired in droves.

So yes the viability of healthcare may not be as great as it once was but it is still probably miles ahead of most generic LA degrees

Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
It's not because you're black...and even if it is, as a black guy, you need to stop that. It hurts not just you....

Do you know how hard it is to be like "oh, I don't have a racial chip on my shoulder" while interviewing when 1) you do and 2) every other black guy does as well?

Keep that at home, please.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
So, OP, what are you going to do when you get a job in your field, but your bosses ask you to do something that is "beneath" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
@Ollie1946 I totally agree and that was my first response. I went Army at 18. 4 years is easy. I did all the Army grunt stuff, but my confidence in went through the roof. Certain aspects of it sucked like not showering regularly and deployments... but this kid has some college and my get a better job. The perk of military at that age was the college ed assistance. After I got out my college was paid for in full.
As a college grad, wouldn't he go in as an officer?

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 08-05-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
I'm going to say a few things here that might ruffle some feathers but here goes. This is coming from an old white guy. But I know racism and I've seen it in my youth when a white restaurant owner chased a black soldier out of his establishment at the point of a shotgun. This happened up near St. Louis back in the late 1950s. I was appalled at the overt racism practiced in the deep south before the Civil Rights act. And this wasn't even the "deep south."

Honestly, I say this as truthfully as I can. I don't really dwell very long on skin color. What I do notice is when someone can't speak the "King's English" fluently and without racial affectation. I don't like street talk; never have. I am not someone's "bro" or "dude" or whatever one wants to call me. My first name is just fine. And I'm 69 going on 70. But I like to think I still have most of my marbles.

The writer has a point about names. I think that is a legitimate gripe and one I don't have a good answer for. It might make sense to consider a legal name change if obvious. It can't hurt. It might help.

Obviously wearing proper attire, clean shaven, haircut (bald is 'in' but not for everyone). I think short neat cropped hair looks good on anyone. That's my personal views. I tried bald on myself and didn't like it and I just comb my declining hair backwards and live with it. And it's easy to wash and groom myself.

Know the subject material. Study up on the company or organization. Offer a specific skill set that can put money in the employer's pocket. That's why the hire takes place. I'm working part time out of personal choice but I definitely put money in my employer's pocket and it is paying dividends. Arguing over compensation can come lately. Getting in the door is half the battle.

That racism exists is not in question. There are some blatant racists out there but declining in number so far as I can see. I don't hear it. I don't use it. I hate race baiters and all of that nonsense. I want a society where a person's ability and drive will determine his or her rise up the ladders of success. And I don't like to be snowed either. Either one has the knowledge or ability or he doesn't. Given a choice between an incompetent white brain surgeon and an expert black brain surgeon I'm going to the black surgeon. And as a personal aside, one of our physicians is black and we requested this physician although others were available. Reputation and demeanor mean a lot.

I hope this helps and I didn't speak out of turn.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
There is no shortage of healthcare workers. I'm in nursing school and a lot of new grads are having a hard time finding their first job. It is a myth that healthcare is a stable field...it isn't. Many hospitals aren't hiring anyone or are cutting their staff tremendously.

So please don't tell this young man to pursue nursing for the stability and money. He would be sorely disappointed.
Besides given his attitude about retail and fast food I doubt he would last an hour an a CNA Heck bedside nurses have have to deal with some of the same s**t literally.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
The writer has a point about names. I think that is a legitimate gripe and one I don't have a good answer for. It might make sense to consider a legal name change if obvious. It can't hurt. It might help.
Didn't the OP say his name was Tyrone? Why doesn't he just shorten it on resumes to Ty, which doesn't "suggest" any race. Then when he has to fill out job applications, he can put his full name. I know plenty of people who just put the name they usually go by (Joe, Bob, etc.) rather than their entire first name. I also know a lot of Chinese people who will put their "American" first name on a resume rather than their legal Chinese name.

OP, I would highly suggest that if you're looking to go into that particular field, you look for jobs outside of Durham. Look at craiglist or other job boards for opportunities in NY/CA/etc. where social marketing/media/etc. is prominent.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
So, OP, what are you going to do when you get a job in your field, but your bosses ask you to do something that is "beneath" you?

As a college grad, wouldn't he go in as an officer?
Only he he tried and passed all the requirements; there are more than a few enlisted who are college grads (even some with graduate degrees), some by choice, others because they could not pass the entrance requirements to be an officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment