Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Every permanent job I've had has been through a temp agency. The assignments were always regular temp assignments not temp to hire though.

I will say that the employers have always seemed very grateful to have me, always made me wonder what types of employees were sent before I got there. My current job I have had for four years and prior to this was seven years.

I currently work for a government agency.

Temp Agency got you a job at a government agency??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Im pregnant and due in December. I am not working right now. My son is going into second grade and to be honest, im bored as hell at home and we could use some extra money for an upcoming vacation and pay off some old debt? What kinds of jobs are they offering? I have several years in customer service and also retail. I am also a student and hoping to be accepted into the radiography program next year so Im not planning on staying at this job for more than a few months. This is the reason Im thinking of a temp job.
Does anyone have any ideas who have gone this route before? How do they feel about hiring pregnant people?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Would temp agencies even be in business if lots of temps turned into permanent jobs
For someone that claims to be an employment counselor you sure don't know much about "temp" agencies.

There are basically two types of "temp" jobs; those the person KNOWS is temporary, a few days or a few months, and those that are temp to perm and I Know from experience if you pass the temp period you are hired(we lose a lot due to attendance or they fail the drug screen which they know about from day one).

There are also many levels of temp agencies too; those that hire anyone up to those that hire skilled workers, companies that want people KNOW what they are getting from each type and the pay is relative too.

My current job started as a "temp" job which really wasn't a temp job at all.

Sure there would be a need for "temp" agencies if they all turned into perm jobs, it is an easy way for companies to filter out people WHILE they see the type of worker they are.

There will always be a need for temp workers, but an employment counselor would know that wouldn't he ...

But Houseman’s research has found that even when jobs are classified as “temp to permanent,” only 27 percent of such assignments lead to permanent positions.

I would need the background on this before forming an opinion on how full of crap he is.

If I take the "temp to perms" I have experience with the figure is less BUT in every case it wasn't because the company didn't want to make them perm, they LOST the job due to attendance or failing the drug screen, the "temp" term is 45 calendar days.

This is what I see in almost all long term job to job "temps".

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 08-03-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
For someone that claims to be an employment counselor you sure don't know much about "temp" agencies.

There are basically two types of "temp" jobs; those the person KNOWS is temporary, a few days or a few months, and those that are temp to perm and I Know from experience if you pass the temp period you are hired(we lose a lot due to attendance or they fail the drug screen which they know about from day one).

There are also many levels of temp agencies too; those that hire anyone up to those that hire skilled workers, companies that want people KNOW what they are getting from each type and the pay is relative too.

My current job started as a "temp" job which really wasn't a temp job at all.

Sure there would be a need for "temp" agencies if they all turned into perm jobs, it is an easy way for companies to filter out people WHILE they see the type of worker they are.

There will always be a need for temp workers, but an employment counselor would know that wouldn't he ...

But Houseman’s research has found that even when jobs are classified as “temp to permanent,†only 27 percent of such assignments lead to permanent positions.

I would need the background on this before forming an opinion on how full of crap he is.

If I take the "temp to perms" I have experience with the figure is less BUT in every case it wasn't because the company didn't want to make them perm, they LOST the job due to attendance or failing the drug screen, the "temp" term is 45 calendar days.

I don't deal with temp agencies and don't refer my clients to any so I probably don't know about them.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:

My experience with companies using temp which is rampant in my profession is they are mostly slimeballs who like to
use temp agencies to avoid paying benefits, being able to terminate them with one phone call, and declare them as overhead rather than head count. I can't say I was very surprised to hear temp-to-hire is just temp with the company dangling the carrot of being made permanent to motivate the workers despite having no intention to.

Temp to perm mainly means the company has negotiated the possbility of hiring someone full time without the usual high finders fee. It does not mean the company really has the intention of doing so. This is why I advise anyone in such a position to regard it as just plain temp and to keep searching for a direct position and say bye bye the minute one has an offer (counteroffers usually end badly and encourage bad behavior by employers).

There was a tread last week of someone leaving a perm position for a TTH and I am even more emphatic now that it was a terrible idea.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 AM

720 posts, read 765,589 times
Quote:
Temp Agency got you a job at a government agency??
Yes.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It does not mean the company really has the intention of doing so. This is why I advise anyone in such a position to regard it as just plain temp and to keep searching for a direct position and say bye bye the minute one has an offer (counteroffers usually end badly and encourage bad behavior by employers).
I can say that I was at a place that "said" there was a 90day max on being a temp but was told by an employee that was not the case at all, I liked the job but didn't really like the commute so when my current job came up, I jumped, I never talked to a person in charge about it so I don't know if he was just disgruntled or not, he wasn't happy with the job at all.

My current job has a 45 calendar day limit on "temps"(in the contract), if you are on the temp-to-perm crew after 45 days you are either hired or bye-bye, we do have some that are temps with no chance of being hired.

If you remain a temp for more than the time they claim you are foolish, unless that's what you want.

I knew a guy that didn't like to stay at one place very long, he went from temp job to temp job for many years.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I don't deal with temp agencies and don't refer my clients to any so I probably don't know about them.
So you are potentially causing your "clients" to miss out on a great job ...

My first job out of college was through a temp agency, I was told going in it was NOT a temp position, after a month they wanted to hire me but the buy out was cost prohibitive(basically had to pay both of us), so we had to wait the 90 days, I was there for twenty years.

MY guess would be when people go in and list they say "whatever" and that is exactly what they get, I set conditions, FULL time, any shift, minimum pay I would take, AND must be temp to perm, I listed with two agencies and they had NO problem placing me.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Yes.
\

What is the name of that temp agency?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
So you are potentially causing your "clients" to miss out on a great job ...

My first job out of college was through a temp agency, I was told going in it was NOT a temp position, after a month they wanted to hire me but the buy out was cost prohibitive(basically had to pay both of us), so we had to wait the 90 days, I was there for twenty years.

MY guess would be when people go in and list they say "whatever" and that is exactly what they get, I set conditions, FULL time, any shift, minimum pay I would take, AND must be temp to perm, I listed with two agencies and they had NO problem placing me.

Some of the people we serve has been able to get hired without going to temp agencies so that's why I don't mention them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment