Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM

850 posts, read 796,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
That is my experience as well, you either get help from parents or double or triple up in a far away apartment.

The only reason why I have not fired her is we have a very important trade show coming up and I would prefer that she stay until it is completed. Also I was recently promoted due to a big shakeup and I so I have a greater morale issue to deal with.

I guess the great point of this thread really is all about the whining sense of entitlement. Is this normal among recent grads? She actually said at one point "I can't even afford to go shopping!" as though that matters to me or to the company at large.

Is this girl typical, thinking she should be earning big bucks just out of school despite having no useful, relevant skills which generate revenue? Because that's the way I see it, if you aren't helping to generate revenue, your skills aren't doing much for me.

I guess the great point of this thread really is all about the whining sense of entitlement. Is this normal among recent grads? She actually said at one point "I can't even afford to go shopping!" as though that matters to me or to the company at large.

Man thats funny sh*t.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
This is am employee I recently inherited thanks to a promotion I received. She was only making the salary and whined about being unappreciated so I created a bonus structure for her. She feels it isn't enough and was pouting away to me and my boss. I told her she's not getting more, end of story. Granted this is NYC, but don't move here if you aren't willing to struggle. In the end I told her that if she can find someone to pay her $50k a year at her age (24) that I will happily write her a reference. She is so unhappy! Frankly nothing she has done since reporting to me 3 weeks ago merits a raise (and I told her that straight up).

I want her gone. But for now, are there any 24 year old people here living in a major city? What do you earn? Especially if you studied art or some other easy degree. (Not industrial art, that is difficult).
Fire her immediately.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Is this girl typical, thinking she should be earning big bucks just out of school despite having no useful, relevant skills which generate revenue? Because that's the way I see it, if you aren't helping to generate revenue, your skills aren't doing much for me.
I graduated with a Geography degree. Probably even more useless to you. Still got offered $60k out of school. We have been in a wage freeze since then, but my employer went to a salary survey because they wanted to cut some of our wages to "mid-market". I got dropped from the salary survey after they found my wage was 2nd percentile for my position and experience.
No wait, that should probably be

The real question here is, how much would you have to pay to replace her? Do you really think you could throw the job on the street for the same or less money and have someone else with the same skill set?

My workplace has been trying to hire a second geographer for 4 years, offering 15% more than what I make. (Why don't I leave? Don't have enough yet to wait out the 1 year non-compete law they have in place.)

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
What the heck did she do to warrant that much of a salary?
Exactly. That is a little too much unless it's nepotism or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are placing way to much emphasis on what her major is.

It is real simple; does she have the skills to perform at her position? Is this reflected on her performance evaluation? Is she performing according to her development plan?

Firing her for whining seems a little ridiculous if she is performing her duties, many people whine, some do not at all. Has there been an equity analysis conducted recently in your organization? And you still have not stated if she is being paid at, above, or below the market rate for the position.
The degree can help but seriously unless it is commissioned sales and she's been a rock star at it (which if that's the case good for her) then I don't see 100K being the normal for a job a BFA would look for two years out.

As for firing for whining. Some companies have turned to firing whiners because they can just pass the work to other employees and perhaps hire for an "entry level position." It's not uncommon for companies to target the whiners and terminate them. Of course, you wouldn't terminate someone specifically for being a whiner unless your state has the At-will doctrine.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Context matters. $48k is okay at best.
If not in a high COL area, it's good. HOWEVER it fairly close to the national average for wages of people with college degrees as well as recent college graduates.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
So, her performance is not bad enough to fire her as you need her skills for a trade show?

It is normal among many groups, grads, non-grads, PhD's, GED holders, etc; no one group is whining more than another.

Who knows what she is thinking, maybe so. If she does not have the relevant skills, how did she get the job, and why is she still being retained for the trade show if she does not have the relevant skills?

What kind of company and job is this?
I'm sure it's sales of some kind.

This is a funny thread.

All I can add is that younger people, just out of college, or even a couple years out, have expectations.

I had these expectations, and I've seen it day in and day out. From stories to actual experiences.

And it's funny when people realize the way the world works and those expectations are crumbled.

---

If I were her, I'd be looking for another job.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM

896 posts, read 1,177,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It would also be helpful if you mentioned the position you've hired her for.
I did not hire her, I inherited her. She is a general sales & marketing assist.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I had a similar experience (albeit it was with a 40+ year old, so its not just an age thing). What others earn in other major cities really wouldn't help unless the specifics are similar (industry, position, market demand, company size, etc.). Bottom line, if what you're paying is the market rate, and she feels that she deserves more, she has every right and opportunity to find another organization that will pay her desired rate.

Based solely on your description - I wouldn't even have offered a reference. And I'd drop her as soon as feasible. Regardless of her productivity, that attitude will typically poison your entire team. If she's whining up the chain... I can only imagine what she's saying to her colleagues.
You are absolutely right.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You are placing way to much emphasis on what her major is.

It is real simple; does she have the skills to perform at her position? Is this reflected on her performance evaluation? Is she performing according to her development plan?

Firing her for whining seems a little ridiculous if she is performing her duties, many people whine, some do not at all. Has there been an equity analysis conducted recently in your organization? And you still have not stated if she is being paid at, above, or below the market rate for the position.
Her performance is mediocre, and my boss (HQ is another city) thinks she is terrible.

I don't think firing a whiner is wrong at all. Whiners pollute the office environment.

Her salary is market rate for the industry and location, which is why I can replace her easily.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So, her performance is not bad enough to fire her as you need her skills for a trade show?

It is normal among many groups, grads, non-grads, PhD's, GED holders, etc; no one group is whining more than another.

Who knows what she is thinking, maybe so. If she does not have the relevant skills, how did she get the job, and why is she still being retained for the trade show if she does not have the relevant skills?

What kind of company and job is this?
I don't know how she got her job as I wasn't here yet. I would rather not give details about the company at all to remain anonymous.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I graduated with a Geography degree. Probably even more useless to you. Still got offered $60k out of school. We have been in a wage freeze since then, but my employer went to a salary survey because they wanted to cut some of our wages to "mid-market". I got dropped from the salary survey after they found my wage was 2nd percentile for my position and experience.
No wait, that should probably be

The real question here is, how much would you have to pay to replace her? Do you really think you could throw the job on the street for the same or less money and have someone else with the same skill set?

My workplace has been trying to hire a second geographer for 4 years, offering 15% more than what I make. (Why don't I leave? Don't have enough yet to wait out the 1 year non-compete law they have in place.)
I can replace her easily for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment