Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times

Advertisements

Your not worth as much as I am ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Knew exactly what group they were referring to before I clicked the article... quite a sign of the times. My employer now wants two years' professional experience for the same damn entry level job I was able to land quick and easily without any experience or bureaucratic HR nonsense. Employers have really milked the ever living sh*t out of this post-recession period... it will be interesting to watch them scramble to fill positions as the market becomes more favorable for the worker and they lose their top talent. Maybe there will be a huge spike in voluntary quits when the health insurance exchanges go into effect next year...

Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Your not worth as much as I am ! ! !
Must be because of that impeccable grammar. But in all seriousness, what is your point? I'm confused by this seemingly arbitrary statement.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
True, and one of my current duties is succession planning. It's a challenge, but we do manage to have some younger people that can promote. The last one I hired had the required 3 years experience, and an MBA and is in the lowest paying position in my group but I see potential. Another in a higher position is just 26, and other 28. Then it goes up to 48, and 55.

Maybe we'll go back to the dot com boom years, when employers were throwing all kinds o fmoney and benefits at people to steal the best talent away from the competitors. We see some of that even now with Google, Microsoft and Apple.
The company I work at seems focused on this as well. The majority of people in my group are in their 20s and 30s. It's basically the starting point with this particular company.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
While there are some true complainers, I think many in the older generations don't quite understand that the generation that is graduating during this economic downturn really does have it worse. Earning a few thousand dollars less than college graduates did over a decade ago is very troubling. Most of the openings I come across for positions labeled as entry level require 1 to 3 years of experience. How is that entry level? People accuse millennials of not wanting to start at the bottom, but 52% of recent college graduates are working jobs that do not require a degree. The article says that this is a new problem. I bet, in many cases, these positions have little room for growth and aren't related to the person's field of study. This means the person is not gaining the right kind of experience that will help him or her in gaining employment in his or her field.
My uncle was really judgmental about my job search problem a few years ago. Not to my face, behind my back. Then he got laid off and had a hard time finding work. Now he understands.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM

190 posts, read 190,285 times
Default get a job the easy way

you dont need a degree to get a good job all you need to do is lie about your credentials how many companys check your background they dont want to spend the money its all totally pschological they tellyou they do but they dont look at your schools all these teachers are sick how do they get the job they lie

Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5ply10 View Post
you dont need a degree to get a good job all you need to do is lie about your credentials how many companys check your background they dont want to spend the money its all totally pschological they tellyou they do but they dont look at your schools all these teachers are sick how do they get the job they lie
This is a fallacy.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
...Nor an MBA unless it is from an elate school. The automatic career fantasy ended a little while ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
I do think this generation is getting the short end of the stick though, because they were *told* that a collage degree of any sort was a sure ticket to success.
Degree from an "elate collage"? Is that what you put on your cover letter? Good play on words.

"Hi, Miz Vox, thank you for coming in for an interview. I have a question about your cover letter."

"What about it?"

"Well, Miz Vox, it says here that you graduated from an elate collage."

"Mmmmmmm hmmmm!!!"

"But, Miz Vox, your resume doesn't list any elite college degree. In fact, your resume doesn't show any college degree at all, but this job requires a college degree. Could you explain?"

"I didn't say anything about elite college, I said e-late col-lage. See how creative I am? I think my play on words shows that I'm smarter than graduates of elite colleges. Now, since I'm already here, do I get this job or not?"

Last edited by 43north87west; 08-09-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There are also more jobs that require or prefer a college degree, though. For instance, I'm sure it was very rare in the past to see an ad for a secretary opening that asked for college credits. Now, I do regularly see ads for administrative assistant positions requiring or preferring some college credits or an associate's degree. For the jobs that have required a degree for a long time, many of them are raising their standards. Instead of just needing an associate's degree, you now need a bachelor's degree. There has been a trend in the health professions to make the doctorate the lowest required degree i.e. physical therapy and pharmacy. They are now trying to do this with nurse practitioners, and I wouldn't be surprised if the standard is eventually raised for occupational therapists.
I think as more and more high school grads are functioning illiterates, we will see more businesses asking for "some college" just to weed out the low functioning HS grads.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5ply10 View Post
Maybe it's the type of jobs I'm applying to, but I've had to show my transcripts several times. So, do you recommend that people purchase fake transcripts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment