Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times

Advertisements

'Because I won't waste your time with B.S.' (and I wouldn't abbreviate).

Then stand up to indicate the interview is over, thank her, and walk.

Someone who starts out an interview with this kind of hardness isn't someone you want to work for. They don't think of their employees as human beings but as pawns on a board.

However, since 'not wasting her time' seems to be the number one requirement for this office, you might just have gotten the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM

402 posts, read 745,887 times
Originally Posted by von949
Too long. Halfway through that speech, the interviewer isn't even listening anymore. Plus it sounds too cookie cutter. This is how you answer a question like that in real time.

Mrs big) Why are you a better candidate than the other 250 applicants?
Me) 250 applicants?
Mrs Big) Yes.
Me) Wow. Really? 250?
Mrs Big) Yes really. Over 250
Me) Well I can't tell you why I am better than 250 people I have never met but I can GUARANTEE you that if you hired me, you would never have to interview 250 people to to fill one position. I work more efficient than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That is a great answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Yet another good answer someone would LIKE to say.
Disagree. Of course it's only opinion, but I think that is a terrible answer, especially as written.
- You work efficiently, not efficient.
- Asking about 250 applicants twice immediately displays your inefficiency
- They did not say they interviewed 250 people but had 250 applicants
- You made a guarantee that you don't have the ability to guarantee.

So in practicality, you have displayed in a very short time that you may have poor grammar skills in writing or speaking, that in trying for effect, you displayed the opposite trait of the one you are touting, that you make assumptions and/or have poor comprehension skills, and you make promises that are empty or that can't be kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You miss the point of the question. She is not serious about 250 qualified applicants. She wants to see you think on your feet and be creative.
This is true. The answer above was at-least semi-creative although I think it needs some adjustments.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
you CAN NOT answer truthfully and intelligently without at least seeing the resumes of those other people.
If someone cannot say something good about themselves without comparing themself to others, then they have more issues than just being without a job.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
The person she is looking for would have a perfect 3 min elevator pitch directly focused to the immediate and longer range needs of her organization. This would take a little practice and some research on your part. You should be prepared to do this pitch to one or a group to sell yourself.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If someone cannot say something good about themselves without comparing themself to others, then they have more issues than just being without a job.
the question is not "what is good about you?".

the question is "how are you better than these other people?". you are being directly asked to compare yourself to the other applicants.

how are you supposed to properly answer that when you know nothing about the other people you're SUPPOSED to be comparing yourself to, per the question?

of course the solution is to just say nice things about yourself, and talk about areas where you are better than average. but it's a dumb question because it asks you to do the impossible, if you want to actually answer the question as asked and not lie.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
'Because I won't waste your time with B.S.' (and I wouldn't abbreviate).

Then stand up to indicate the interview is over, thank her, and walk.

Someone who starts out an interview with this kind of hardness isn't someone you want to work for. They don't think of their employees as human beings but as pawns on a board.

However, since 'not wasting her time' seems to be the number one requirement for this office, you might just have gotten the job.

Goodness gracious. Here's the OP:

Quote:
My entire interview with Mrs. Big was one question. She asked me this question: "Over 250 applicants appliedfor this job and most of them were qualified on paper. In fact many of the people had an incredible background. I don't want an average person in this job. Why are you better than the other 250 applicants?"
Would you walk out if this same question was posed in other ways?

- Tell why you are the best candidate for the job?
- Why should I hire you?
- What do you bring to the table that other candidates may not have?
- Tell me how you think you can do this job better anyone else.
- What makes you especially qualified for this role?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
^^^^^^^thank you!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Goodness gracious. Here's the OP:

Would you walk out if this same question was posed in other ways?

- Why should I hire you?
- What do you bring to the table that other candidates may not have?
some of these questions are reasonable and realistic:

- Why should I hire you?
- What do you bring to the table that other candidates may not have? ("may not have" makes all the difference)

some require you to have knowledge that you can't possibly have, if you are going to actually answer the question and do it honestly:

none of them would make me walk out of the interview, i think that's overly dramatic and silly. but i think the latter two are stupid questions.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
how are you supposed to properly answer that when you know nothing about the other people you're SUPPOSED to be comparing yourself to, per the question?
"My parole officer says I'm better at hiding daytime drinking than Neo-Nazi he's ever met."

Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
"My parole officer says I'm better at hiding daytime drinking than Neo-Nazi he's ever met."

But you don't know how much better all other neo-Nazis are at hiding alcohol-breath. Some use Tic Tacs, some don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment