Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

If you are tired of the way you’ve been living,then I have a feeling you can just stop, and do your life differently in your thirties than you did in your twenties.The best way to live a good life is to never assume that the way you lived the last ten years is the way you will live the next ten years. It will always be different because you will always be learning about yourself and growing.
----------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.loopnet.com/lid/14331064]315-321 South Shore Drive, Miami Beach, FL, 33141 - Garden/Low-Rise Property for Sale on LoopNet.com[/url] - Miami Beach Apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM

233 posts, read 766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
First off, no one keeps you at a job other than yourself (unless we're talking slavery here, lol). Thirty is not that old. You talk like it's the end of the line for you. You already have a degee, so why not put it to use?

When you were earning your BA in Communications, what did you see yourself doing for a living when you finished? Did you intern or do anything career related while you were in school? I'm assuming you earned your degree seven years ago, and then found your current job, and have been there since, right? When exactly did your current job go from being temporary until you found something that suited your interests and education to becoming something seemingly permanent?
I saw myself working in journalism, but I later switched to public relations, as I thought it would be a much broader area for possible job prospects. I actually got my degree in 2010.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is it a small office, and a privately owned company?
It's a fairly small, pediatrician's office. It is through a state-funded university.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM

I've also been thinking that staying with the same job at least for the last 7 years has also given me proof of stability, as some may look at it as a part of financial responsibility.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
I've also been thinking that staying with the same job at least for the last 7 years has also given me proof of stability, as some may look at it as a part of financial responsibility.
While this thinking would normally hold true, potential employers also like to see a pattern of upward mobility over this type of time frame. It can be both a good and a bad thing. Remember, most employers are looking for people with ambition and drive. It's okay to change jobs if you know there is no chance of moving up where you're cuirrently at in life.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
I've been working a menial office job for the last 7 years. My bosses and coworkers appreciate having me where I work, and so my bosses have been keeping me there. However, being 30 almost 31, I feel like I will never get another job, get ahead in life or have my own career. Other people I know who are my age, older, or younger have moved ahead in their careers, and some, when they were my age, were working higher-level jobs than I am working at my age. I may also never get a job that is a closer match to my interests or my degree (Bachelor's in Communications) or even something I would enjoy doing. Sometimes I feel like it is my destiny in life to work where I am. I have been stressing a lot over this lately.
Sorry.

8 College Degrees with the Worst Return on Investment - Salary.com

Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Seven years in one position is about four too many by today's standards. Employers will assume you're unambitious and therefore content if you've made no attempt to advance. Some people are like that. Or others have an outside interest (like raising children) that keeps them in place for a long time. Since you've noted you got your degree in 2010 and you've been in that job for seven years, am I correct in assuming that you worked there WHILE you were earning your degree? If so, make sure your resume reflects that so potential employers will understand why you stayed there for so long.

When I was with a large, multinational corporation, I moved to a better position within that company about every two years. I'm no shining star — that's just typical in that world. If I hadn't been advancing, it would be weird that I stayed there so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment