Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

I know it's been stated, and I agree, that they should speak half the time and you the other half. The other day I had a really passionate sales manager speak the entire time, save the 1-2 minutes I could in, and that required me cutting him off, to acknowledge that I am like him, and he should consider me.

I am hoping some HM's can reply because to me its a quagmire. I know I need to be a good listener, and I am, I know I shouldn't interrupt, and what to do with a person that dominates the entire time?

The good news is I am moving forward, the bad is he rambled so much that we couldn't finish so we are finishing next week via phone.

It seems the only way to get half the time is cut him off, which is bad, or be nice and let him take the entire time slot. Damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario?

Additionally the reason I am concerned about, I was given a verbal by the SM for a diff co. he took the entire time, just like the above SM, and I didn't get the job, in part, because I wasn't able to leave a lasting impression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
I prefer those type of interviewers. Thats when I use my 'Thats right up my alley' line and I also add to his *stories* to suggest I feel him lol making sure we laugh it out like we are talking about our alma maters

Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I prefer those type of interviewers. Thats when I use my 'Thats right up my alley' line and I also add to his *stories* to suggest I feel him lol making sure we laugh it out like we are talking about our alma maters
I hear you. I tried that, answer to let him know that's me, and he just keep going. On Tuesday, depending on the responses I get back from CD good folks, I may try and lead on the next call.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:04 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I also like those interviews. The less I speak, the fewer chances I could potentially "screw up". (joke)

In all seriousness, I have had a few interviews like that. The HM went on and on and was basically "selling" the company and position to me (which is a great sign). My last interview was like that, and I got the position!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I also like those interviews. The less I speak, the fewer chances I could potentially "screw up". (joke)

In all seriousness, I have had a few interviews like that. The HM went on and on and was basically "selling" the company and position to me (which is a great sign). My last interview was like that, and I got the position!
Ok, thanks that is good feedback.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Those are the best interviews in my opinion. Whoever talks the most is trying to sell the most. It's a good sign, when the interviewer is trying harder for the sale.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
It could be a good sign - he really likes you. Or it could just mean he's one of those people who can never shut up. All you can do is nod your head a lot and smile, maybe occasionally say something when he's taking a breath.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
The applicant's time to talk is at the end when asked........."do you ask any questions?"

Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 AM

72 posts, read 115,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The applicant's time to talk is at the end when asked........."do you ask any questions?"
This advice is such nonsense and so harmful that I hope you are not in any official capacity to deliver any of this "advice" to other unsuspecting victims.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrule2 View Post
This advice is such nonsense and so harmful that I hope you are not in any official capacity to deliver any of this "advice" to other unsuspecting victims.

No it isn't, let the interviewer do most of the talking during the interview and make sure your responses to all the questions has a conversational tone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment