Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
And chocolate. Works flawlessly!
Well, hold on Sparky. I realize you're being humorous (or, I hope so, anyway) but, many of us are allergic to chocolate and/or can't be mindlessly appeased like a child on a sugar-high for an M&M.

Quote:
And remember.... Women hold a grudge MUCH better than men! They don't forget and hold against you something most men will blow off. Be careful, and you'll be fine.
Not all women have time for grudges & are quite adult in any situation. You make it sound as if women are gaggles of ferocious assassins. It sounds as if the majority of men posting here can't seem to fit into a female environment, not the other way 'round.

Some of the caveman comments just show why it's so challenging for women in the workplace. Either that or it's only very old men commenting... coming from a world gone by when the little woman packed hubby's metal lunchbox & pushed the kiddies off to school... then took up knitting booties & churning butter.

The OP is in a toxic workplace, it seems. It happens & Fishbrains listed the reasons. If it were filled with any other combination of people (tall gay men, young black women, white 5'5" lesbians), it might just have that same dynamic. Sometimes choosing a job is mere luck of the draw in what will transpire once inside the daily grind.

Perhaps the OP would do best to stay at the job & begin interviewing for other positions. Although, I must say, can working in a rehab facility bring peace & ease during the work day? It must be a chaotic work environment, no? I've had doctors & nurses in my family... a lot actually. None of them liked their jobs & all the nurses eventually switched careers around the 10-yr mark... all had gnarly stories of the goings on in hospitals, working with violent special needs kids or life in a nursing home. Maybe it speaks more to the profession & the difficulties within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Where I work the men are as much gossipers and backstabbers as anyone. But then again it's a low wage retail job where the employees hate their jobs and lives.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
The best thing about nursing is that over 90% of my co-workers are women.
The worst thing about nursing is that over 90% of my co-workers are women.

I an still working on getting in to nursing school but I feel like it good and bad. Being the only male in class is nice but some woman are nice to you and hey come be apart of our group and others are like go away and try to black list you.

One good thing is woman cook me food which is nice ,but it would be nice to have a guy to talk to some times .

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Yeah,the secretaries are laid back, but the Nurses, therapists, and pretty much all the management are at each others throats. I think a lot of it could be solved by removing a few bad apples, but I've only wrked at this place for a week, so It's hard to say where the root of the problem is.
It's the nature of the medical profession. Just try keep your opinions about others to yourself and focus on your job. You'll be fine!

I find that the men that work in hospitals and long term care facilities have it easier than us women. Licensed professionals are pretty stressed out in some places, and the environment can be pretty cut throat. Getting pulled in a million directions, dealing with physicians and family members.....yet still have to complete all of your charting on time. You also have to make sure you don't leave your shift with anything undone....the next shift will talk!

I am a respiratory therapist, so I can pretty much come and go as I please. Nurses on the other hand, have to stay on the unit, dealing with all of the patients needs. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job!! They are stuck either at the nurses station or close by the bedside. I think that forced confinement in the workplace is the reason there can be drama and conflict. The same atmosphere can be found in workplaces with cubicles.

I focus on my job, the patients and making sure I have enough time to complete my rounds. I smile alot!!! I don't make friends or chat too much about anything other than patient care, and it has helped me keep away from those who's sole objective is to make others miserable and get people written up or fired. I also stay away from the trouble makers, but am friendly and accessible if someone needs my assistance. This can be challenging as a woman, because I can be labeled as being anti-social for not participating in the gossip and drama.

That is just fine with me!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I feel bad for ya. I'm female and can relate totally to what you're saying. I don't like when people want to talk bad about someone else. Sometimes I ask if they're saying that to lift the other person up cuz if not.... it's gossip and I really don't want to participate. You'll figure out the best way to handle it. Rise above!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Started a new job this weak at a rehab center. It's the first time in my life that I've ever worked in an environment with a significant amount of women. I'm a little scared after my first week, as I've never really dealt with this much drama in the work place. I feel as if this job will require me to permanently walk on egg shells.
Unfortunately, you will have to walk on egghsells. Unfortunately, as others have confirmed, basically anything that any woman finds offensive (even if you're not saying it to or about her) is legally considered sexual harassment. And most employers just fire any employee who is accused of sexual harassment, no matter how weak the case is. I am lucky that I am in an almost entirely male environment.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
It's the nature of the medical profession. Just try keep your opinions about others to yourself and focus on your job. You'll be fine!

I find that the men that work in hospitals and long term care facilities have it easier than us women. Licensed professionals are pretty stressed out in some places, and the environment can be pretty cut throat. Getting pulled in a million directions, dealing with physicians and family members.....yet still have to complete all of your charting on time. You also have to make sure you don't leave your shift with anything undone....the next shift will talk!

I am a respiratory therapist, so I can pretty much come and go as I please. Nurses on the other hand, have to stay on the unit, dealing with all of the patients needs. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job!! They are stuck either at the nurses station or close by the bedside. I think that forced confinement in the workplace is the reason there can be drama and conflict. The same atmosphere can be found in workplaces with cubicles.

I focus on my job, the patients and making sure I have enough time to complete my rounds. I smile alot!!! I don't make friends or chat too much about anything other than patient care, and it has helped me keep away from those who's sole objective is to make others miserable and get people written up or fired. I also stay away from the trouble makers, but am friendly and accessible if someone needs my assistance. This can be challenging as a woman, because I can be labeled as being anti-social for not participating in the gossip and drama.

That is just fine with me!

Working at a job all day and not socializing is not normal behavior. It's no way I can function like that at a job LOL

Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
I am a male.

I worked in nursing homes as a CNA for around 3 years from 17-20.

I worked with virtually all women. Some nursing homes had zero men.

Drama drama drama. Usually between them or issues at home or between their boyfriends. Constant griping and complaining. Tons of whining about their weight, their job, etc. etc.

Some were AMAZING. I loved some of the women I worked with and they were cool and almost like mothers or sisters to me. Still keep in touch with some.

In general, far more drama than men though. Now I work in an industry dominated by men. Much less drama. About 10x less really.

I typically stayed out of the drama. I rarrrrrely had issues. I did mix work with pleasure a few more times than I should have but even then it wasnt a biggy really. One time did cause an issue because I didnt want to seriously date her lol. That was my fault.

I was in a nursing program at the time and honestly the drama did turn me off of it amd was a part of the reason I stopped. Sad cause I LOVED my job and the elderly. 5 years later and old coworkers still tell me residents ask about me.

Oh yeah, also they would somehow get a free pass to lay in the break room or sit at the desk and do nothing for hours due to "cramps" though if they weren't 250lbs it may not be so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Well, hold on Sparky. I realize you're being humorous (or, I hope so, anyway) but, many of us are allergic to chocolate and/or can't be mindlessly appeased like a child on a sugar-high for an M&M.

Not all women have time for grudges & are quite adult in any situation. You make it sound as if women are gaggles of ferocious assassins. It sounds as if the majority of men posting here can't seem to fit into a female environment, not the other way 'round.

Some of the caveman comments just show why it's so challenging for women in the workplace. Either that or it's only very old men commenting... coming from a world gone by when the little woman packed hubby's metal lunchbox & pushed the kiddies off to school... then took up knitting booties & churning butter.

The OP is in a toxic workplace, it seems. It happens & Fishbrains listed the reasons. If it were filled with any other combination of people (tall gay men, young black women, white 5'5" lesbians), it might just have that same dynamic. Sometimes choosing a job is mere luck of the draw in what will transpire once inside the daily grind.

Perhaps the OP would do best to stay at the job & begin interviewing for other positions. Although, I must say, can working in a rehab facility bring peace & ease during the work day? It must be a chaotic work environment, no? I've had doctors & nurses in my family... a lot actually. None of them liked their jobs & all the nurses eventually switched careers around the 10-yr mark... all had gnarly stories of the goings on in hospitals, working with violent special needs kids or life in a nursing home. Maybe it speaks more to the profession & the difficulties within.

Sparky? REALLY?
No actually, I wasn't being humorous, and It was RECOMMENDED by them!

I've only really had to work with a decent number of women one time.
I ran the shop, buncha guys making product, and a bunch of women in the offices.

As another poster stated, the women were responsible for MUCH more drama than the men (Who outnumbered them)
And I dealt with BOTH! (What is 'fitting into a female environment'? You saying guys can't run an office? If so... i must disagree... vehemently!)

Those women worked less, gossiped more, took more breaks, and got away with more 'stuff' than I can compare any men to!

One of them jokingly talked about me bringing chocolate... so I listened (I'm no dummy)
when they were having a bad day, when drama was going on, or just randomly a couple times a week I passed around chocolate.... made my life SO MUCH easier!
(And more like Dove.... not cheap M&M's!)

(And I hate to tell you, but less than 2% of the population has ANY kind of food allergy, so No... "Many of you are NOT allergic to chocolate'!)

Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Sparky? REALLY?
Well, you are the self professed 'man with no name'...

Quote:
No actually, I wasn't being humorous, and It was RECOMMENDED by them!
Why the need to SCREAM? And, a little humor does a world of good.

Quote:
I've only really had to work with a decent number of women one time.
And, therein lies the problem with so many of these posts by men who've worked with 'a decent number of women' once, yet painting all of woman-kind with broad brushstrokes. A bit unfair & over-exaggerated, no? Would you feel comfortable with men speaking this way about your female relatives or friends? Your mum? Wife/gf? Are they all the same?

Quote:
And I dealt with BOTH! (What is 'fitting into a female environment'? You saying guys can't run an office? If so... i must disagree... vehemently!)
Again, why shout? You should re-read my previous post, as you've garnered something from it, which wasn't said or implied.

Quote:
Those women worked less, gossiped more, took more breaks, and got away with more 'stuff' than I can compare any men to!
Those women? In one workplace? Yes, it happens. I've had the reverse situation in two workplaces, but I wouldn't say that all men were difficult to work with or took advantage as many of the men with whom I endured working.

Quote:
(And more like Dove.... not cheap M&M's!)
Dear lord, calm down. You're not reading tongue-in-cheek. And, what's wrong with M&Ms? Dove, not Amedei or Bernachon or even Godiva?

Quote:
(And I hate to tell you, but less than 2% of the population has ANY kind of food allergy, so No... "Many of you are NOT allergic to chocolate'!)
Why do you hate to tell me? I'm allergic to chocolate, as are 1/2-dozen people I know. Not sure your 2% figure is correct, but again, it was said with humor.

Perhaps you could discuss your one workplace situation without putting all women in the same cart. It's inaccurate & dismissive of 1/2 the population & makes one ignore your intended point of your one experience working with women.

Enjoy the beginning of your work week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment