Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I recently started working with more women than I used to. My initial impression is that they do a lot of back stabbing and gossiping about the other women in the office while pretending to like the other women to their face.
They do it to the guys too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Well, you are the self professed 'man with no name'...

Why the need to SCREAM? And, a little humor does a world of good.

And, therein lies the problem with so many of these posts by men who've worked with 'a decent number of women' once, yet painting all of woman-kind with broad brushstrokes. A bit unfair & over-exaggerated, no? Would you feel comfortable with men speaking this way about your female relatives or friends? Your mum? Wife/gf? Are they all the same?

Again, why shout? You should re-read my previous post, as you've garnered something from it, which wasn't said or implied.

Those women? In one workplace? Yes, it happens. I've had the reverse situation in two workplaces, but I wouldn't say that all men were difficult to work with or took advantage as many of the men with whom I endured working.

Dear lord, calm down. You're not reading tongue-in-cheek. And, what's wrong with M&Ms? Dove, not Amedei or Bernachon or even Godiva?

Why do you hate to tell me? I'm allergic to chocolate, as are 1/2-dozen people I know. Not sure your 2% figure is correct, but again, it was said with humor.

Perhaps you could discuss your one workplace situation without putting all women in the same cart. It's inaccurate & dismissive of 1/2 the population & makes one ignore your intended point of your one experience working with women.

Enjoy the beginning of your work week.

I would... but I'm self employed now... When I work i work 7 days a week, but I'm off over 1/2 the year (Like now.)

But yes, I'm enjoying it!

As for the caps... I know that if I were typing in all caps it is 'internet shouting' but I think you should be able to understand that it's for emphasis....

Now for the one:
If i were the only person saying it... that would be one thing, but when my anecdotal evidence matches others.... (And the one here and 2 there women co workers I've had fit the stereotype.)

Don't see any way that's unfair...

And M&M's are ok... but they aren't 'good chocolate' (I'm a bit of a chocoholic myself!)
I'm sorry that being allergic you can't understand.

FDA was my source for the 2%.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm self employed now... When I work i work 7 days a week, but I'm off over 1/2 the year (Like now.) But yes, I'm enjoying it!
Congrats!

Quote:
As for the caps... I know that if I were typing in all caps it is 'internet shouting' but I think you should be able to understand that it's for emphasis....
Of course. You should be able to understand I was merely calling attention to it.

Quote:
If i were the only person saying it... that would be one thing, but when my anecdotal evidence matches others.... (And the one here and 2 there women co workers I've had fit the stereotype.) Don't see any way that's unfair...
I didn't say your account of your personal experience/s is unfair. A couple of people agreeing is not a rousing victory, considering there are hundreds of millions in the workplace. Others, such as myself, have encountered the opposite, yet I wouldn't generalize in saying all men are difficult to work with, are sexist, etc., and/or make the workplace unpleasant. I've worked with unpleasant men & women. Any poor treatment, awful attitudes, underhandedness & outright dishonesty I've personally experienced or have seen was predominately caused by men... still, I'm sure not all men would even think to act in such ways. That's just a guess, but I have faith in human kind.

Quote:
And M&M's are ok... but they aren't 'good chocolate' (I'm a bit of a chocoholic myself!) I'm sorry that being allergic you can't understand.
Firstly, you missed the humor in the candy statements, but that's okay. I do understand... I'd eaten chocolate in moderation in childhood before developing an allergy. Not a big deal to me... sugar isn't anything I've ever craved & I don't miss chocolate at all... never really cared for it. But, I come from a family in which all the women can't get enough of sugar & chocolate... the men in my family never bother with it (don't care for it or allergic, I don't know)... & most people I know differ... some love it, some don't care for it, some are allergic.

Quote:
FDA was my source for the 2%.
Fair enough. I saw that figure, too, out of curiosity. I wouldn't have guessed it was so low... I seem to know a dozen or so who are allergic.

Enjoy your non-work week!

Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They do it to the guys too...
Yes, I have noticed that too. It just seems as if they do it more to other women though. (so far) I am sure they are backstabbing me too BUT it might not be as bad since my work doesn't interact too much with theirs.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Started a new job this weak at a rehab center. It's the first time in my life that I've ever worked in an environment with a significant amount of women. I'm a little scared after my first week, as I've never really dealt with this much drama in the work place. I feel as if this job will require me to permanently walk on egg shells. Are there any men on CD that have gone from working in a mostly male environment to a mostly female? How did it play out? Are most these women really pissed off every day, or do lighten up after a while?
Is it probably just this particular workplace?
It is a mixed bag where I am. Some of the women at my company (the president of my company included) are very direct and to the point. Others are very social and prone to drama. Every once in a while I talk to the ones who enjoy drama behind a closed door and let them vent to me for a while. I don't offer advice or try to fix any of it, I just let them vent and I try to sympathize (whether I actually do or not). Once they get it off their chest to me, they are a lot more calm around the office.

It goes without saying that I never repeat what is said behind a closed door to anyone.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:40 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
to be fair to the ladies, I still feel that only the drama queens and martyrs are difficult at work, and that the rest of female employees are pretty good. i have no problems with assertive women making legitimate work requests. its the attention seeking ones with distorted ideas of what is "owed" to them via certain kinds of small talk, or women who act out their petty jealousies or entitlements and making emotional threats (like if you don't tell me what i want to hear or what i want you to do I'll get you in trouble with the boss etc etc)

there are some women who pass the buck and don't want to accept responsibility for their mistakes or laziness but i find even they aren't as bad as the first two types

Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is a mixed bag where I am. Some of the women at my company (the president of my company included) are very direct and to the point. Others are very social and prone to drama. Every once in a while I talk to the ones who enjoy drama behind a closed door and let them vent to me for a while. I don't offer advice or try to fix any of it, I just let them vent and I try to sympathize (whether I actually do or not). Once they get it off their chest to me, they are a lot more calm around the office.

It goes without saying that I never repeat what is said behind a closed door to anyone.
Honestly, if you are a man, it is very dangerous to be alone behind closed doors with a female coworker, since it can lead to false accusations of sexual harassment. Especially since it sounds like you are talking about personal, non-work related things with them.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
youre right and that could be the reason why these drama queens want you to talk to them and vice versa--so it "looks" like you 2 are having a relationship and then it makes any "complaints" they have "look" more valid. to set up a man for a bogus harrassment complaint

Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Honestly, if you are a man, it is very dangerous to be alone behind closed doors with a female coworker, since it can lead to false accusations of sexual harassment. Especially since it sounds like you are talking about personal, non-work related things with them.
No it isn't. I am friends with most of my co-workers. We go to barbecues together on weekends, we go to baseball games with each other's families, etc. What you said is only true if someone doesn't trust you. Knowing co-workers on some sort of personal level makes the job a whole lot easier.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No it isn't. I am friends with most of my co-workers. We go to barbecues together on weekends, we go to baseball games with each other's families, etc. What you said is only true if someone doesn't trust you. Knowing co-workers on some sort of personal level makes the job a whole lot easier.
You still need to be very careful. If your friendship with one of these women turns sour, or if she is passed up for a promotion, she can make a false accusation against you. Also, if a woman or even a man who has never been behind these closed doors with you is passed up for a promotion in favor of one of the women who does go behind closed doors with you, that could get you in trouble. If one of these women has a husband or boyfriend who objects to your "friendship" with her, that could get you in trouble. Unfortunately, in our at-will work culture (which you always seem to defend), if you are accused of sexual harassment, you will likely lose your job and have a hard time finding a new job, and you won't have any recourse. It's not fair, but that's how life is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment