Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,421,064 times

Advertisements

I am hoping some contractors and HM's can respond. I applied for a job in sales ops and the staffing agency is asking me what my hourly will be. Contract is not my first choice at all, just keeping my options open, since I like logistics as well as selling.

How much per hour should I add in for health, dental, etc. I need to consider both the option for just me and with my wife because she may not get benefits.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,565,082 times
There are a lot of staffing agencies that will offer benefits. IT may not be the best benefits package, but it's something. In general I've found that I could get a good rate and benefits. Keep in mind, a lot of the top tier staffing firms will do this. A lot of the lower tier ones generally won't give you much of anything, including a lower rate. If benefits are a concern, definitely go with the agency that offers them. I've found that the more top tier ones have a better relationship with the clients anyway.

In general if anyone calls you about a job that you may want, ask them first who the client is (some won't reveal it, but most will), then do a google search for the job title. You will generally find other agencies that may be staffing for the same role. Seek those agencies out, and see whom you can talk to. If you have enough on your resume that matches the jobs, it won't be hard getting a recruiter from that agency.

For me personally, benefits isn't a huge deal for me as I'm single. Out of pocket expenses suck, but I rarely get sick. So it's not something I commonly factor in. But I've been contracting for about 7 years now, and I've been more than a few agencies that offer benefits. I'll say it's about 50/50.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,638,743 times
when i was in a salary negotiation for a contract position, here's what i added to my annual pay and then figured out how that affected the hourly:

cost of health insurance - you just have to get a quote. make it for decent coverage. i got one and took half the quote for me and my spouse. you might want your pay to cover more, up to you.
2-4 weeks' severance pay
however much vacation and sick time you feel you should get.
dental - again, get a quote. it's up to you whether you want this fully paid or not. if not, typically the employee pays $20-$30 a month for dental, so incorporate whatever the excess is into your pay.
extra taxes - you can figure on paying about 8% of your income in additional payroll tax.
any extra costs you'd have - phone and internet (if the job would affect your regular bill), equipment you need to buy, supplies, mileage (the federal govt standard is a little over 50 cents a mile right now) at least an hour of accounting time every week.

you can expect contractor pay to be about 1.5 to 2x the amount a regular employee would receive.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,985,869 times
Contractors w/o benefits should get at least 50% more than a salaried employee.

Health ins, retirement savings, employer portion of FICA, UI, disability, and vacation are all being saved by the company, and therefore have to be accounted for in your contractual rate.

The big savings for a company when hiring a contractor is that there is no need to keep the person on after the project is done, as opposed to a salaried employee. As a result anybody working on a contract basis will experience times of unemployment.

Fringe benefits will cost employers 20-50% of base salary, so you need to cover that at least, plus a cushion for periods between contracts.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,040,356 times
In my neck of the woods the burdened cost for a regular employee is upwards of 2x their salary so asking 50% more as a contract employee is a good starting position.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,541,327 times
payroll processing ... extra $5, so add $10
+ health, dental, insuranced...extra $5, if so add $15
not sure but that might cover the other 7% SS thing

Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,385,713 times
7% SSDI tax
23% Benefits

Those are my current loads for a staff of 82, so I'd say base + 30% is a good starting point, but I'd shoot for 40%.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks folks that is what I needed to know. CD won't let me rep you catch you next round.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Good to know, the company wanted to pay me $20hr no bennies 3 month contract, for sales ops in SV that's a laugh, but now thanks to you folks how to factor in benefit costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment