Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times

Advertisements

we use pyxis for med access and centricity for emr. it is the upgrade from meditech if such a thing is possible. we do care planning and meds on....other hospitals in this area are pretty firm on cerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Something definitely seems "odd". Did you somehow manage to **** off a higher up recently?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 PM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times
I would definitely be looking for something else. Though not in nursing, something similar happened to me recently - I was given a raise in April and another in mid-June, making 50% more than I started at in December, and canned July 1 with no discussions from management or anything. When this kind of thing happens for no reason, it's time to be moving on.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Seems like you've gotten helpful input from other professionals. I would just make a non-specific observation. You mentioned that your employer is very stressed about overtime. Is it possible they are in financial trouble?

Having worked for THREE corporate employers who crashed and burned, I've noted many commonalities. First and foremost, the minute things start to go south in the financial department, management starts putting crazy stress on people low on the food chain. For things that have nothing to do with finances but especially for things that do, such as overtime, supplies used, and expense accounts.

When management is unhappy, they have to spread their paranoia. The first people they lean on are the underlings. And the first people they get rid of to "save money" are the people who make the lower salaries — even if those people produce far more than they cost the company. People like you. Corporate managers often make very illogical and self-serving decisions when they are under the gun.

Also, it's possible someone can be leaning on your manager and she is looking for ways to place blame in response to criticism she gets. If she's given you good reviews in the past, then all of a sudden nothing's changed but you're now a bad actor, something is likely going on that you aren't seeing. Keep your ears open for company gossip.

The minute I see situations like this, I've learned to get my resume ready and to get out before the you-know-what hits the fan. Remember, you have no union protection.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,596 times
Something smells odd. As a person in senior management, I have seen first hand individuals get PIPed out of the blue when there's an ax to grind. I recommend being very vigilant, and also prep for the worst, including reaching out to contacts to see if other opportunities are available elsewhere.

Finally, just because you're not union doesn't mean you don't have protections.

Non Right To Work states also generally have more protections than Right To Work states.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,061 times
Do you have an audit coming up? Is your location certified by the Joint Commission? This sounds like how people act right before there is an audit and they need to show that they are counseling when there are errors...and charting issues ARE huge with auditors and the Joint Commission as those go to patient safety...

Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Something smells odd. As a person in senior management, I have seen first hand individuals get PIPed out of the blue when there's an ax to grind. I recommend being very vigilant, and also prep for the worst, including reaching out to contacts to see if other opportunities are available elsewhere.

Finally, just because you're not union doesn't mean you don't have protections.

Non Right To Work states also generally have more protections than Right To Work states.

Good luck.
Are you kidding me? Are we REALLY going to rehash, AGAIN, that ALL STATES EXCEPT MONTANA are "at-will" employment.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Honestly when a patient is in trouble documentation is the least of your worries. In general if a nurse handled the situation well and the patient did better a pass on charting is the excepted protocol.............patient and the family who I just saved don't give a rats ass about the paperwork nor should they.
"The same day a patient at the end of shift had a problem. After fixing it I was an hour into OT so I told the oncoming nurse report and left."

Are you serious? You left without documenting?! How does your relief know what exactly you did to "fix" the problem? If this is truly your attitude toward documentation of patient care, it isn't difficult to figure out why your nurse manager is having issues with your charting or lack of it. You are a plaintiff's attorney's dream. Good luck to you in the future.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 08-14-2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 AM

72 posts, read 115,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Honestly when a patient is in trouble documentation is the least of your worries.
That's an unproductive attitude to have, especially if you want to have a long career as a nurse. While it is true that a patient's immediate safety comes first, proper documentation about observations, symptoms, interventions, treatments and other such things is vitally important to your job. Not just for reimbursement purposes, but also as a way to shield yourself and your hospital from liability. You cannot brush off charting as unimportant or something that the next shift will do.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Something definitely seems "odd". Did you somehow manage to **** off a higher up recently?
Not that I know of. Nothing has been mentioned. No disagreements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment