Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 AM

12 posts, read 26,552 times

Advertisements

Have you considered looking into Habitat for Humanity? I know in my area they were recently seeking a new Manger/Director.

Just a thought. No 'patients' and you would definitely be helping people become not homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I hate to use this as an example, but here goes. Mariah Carey's role from Precious. Does such a thing exist? That wasn't medical. That wasn't clinical. That was helping someone get their life together. Technically though I'm guessing that was CPS?
most social workers in hospitals aren't doing medical work - they're doing exactly what you describe. helping people negotiate the system, connecting them to services that may or may not have a direct connection to their medical care. i worked in a children's hospital and those social workers were pretty much "precious" social workers.

just saying, i wouldn't immediately discount jobs that are connected to medical systems or even AT hospitals. read the job descriptions. for a lot of disadvantaged people, the medical system is the gateway to this kind of help.

a friend of mine is a social worker for a program that is technically an AIDS outreach and is part of a healthcare system but she does EXACTLY what you want to do. she has a very small but intense client load and works one on one with them, helping them get their lives together, find housing, get clean, connect to social services, etc.

the suggestion of idealist.org is a good one. that's where i found my nonprofit job. you can save searches on there and have it send you alerts whenever something comes up.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 AM

72 posts, read 115,749 times
Quote:

I dunno. Help people get on their feet. Connect them with services they need, essentially be their agent in a way.
This is exactly what social workers do in healthcare settings. Particularly in hospitals and nursing homes.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
You will need to be in a larger city to find jobs like that .Yes. They do exist and they are actually quit prevalent depending on where in the country you are. Homeless shelters are great places to start. Also agencies that provide rental assistance and utility assistance. Check with Indeed and just search for "homelessness" and you should come up with at least a few. For that type of job you just need to get the experience. A degree in any human service field should help. And volunteer at these agencies and get your name out there. That will be a great step in the right direction.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
I live minutes outside of DC. And I always thought social workers in hospitals were cheap therapist. Financially cheap not like, 2nd rate or anything.

I guess this means I will have to get a MSW. So long. So expensive. I realize no one goes into SW for the money but nurses, hell, some teachers make more.

Financially it almost doesn't even work.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
I'm doing similar work to what you are looking for, but I work with families of children with disabilities. I only have an AS degree, and a lot of life experience, seeing as both my kids are disabled. The work is out there, and doesn't always need an MSW.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The government should be a great place to find jobs getting people onto food stamps, Medicaid, into government provided housing -- the food stamp business is growing fast, adding people every day. A welfare office hires social workers to fill out the welfare and food stamp applications.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 PM

156 posts, read 447,478 times
Quote:
I live minutes outside of DC. And I always thought social workers in hospitals were cheap therapist. Financially cheap not like, 2nd rate or anything.

I guess this means I will have to get a MSW. So long. So expensive. I realize no one goes into SW for the money but nurses, hell, some teachers make more.

Financially it almost doesn't even work.
That's why a lot of MSWs are attracted to therapy roles. Depending on the market, a lot therapists are cash only, meaning they don't sign contracts with insurance companies. As such, they can bill whatever they can for psychotherapy. Psychiatrists (most of whom don't do psychotherapy very much anymore) can bill $200 - $350 an hour. MSWs bill less, but you can easily bill $100 an hour. If you get 28 sessions a week, you're looking at close to six figures.

Check out the Student Doctor Network forums for more details.

EDIT: As other people have pointed out, MSW in hospitals do case management, which is what you're looking for. Not a whole lot of psychotherapy goes on in a hospital, it's mostly psychiatry. However, if anyone is doing therapy, it's the MDs and PhDs.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
I'm doing similar work to what you are looking for, but I work with families of children with disabilities. I only have an AS degree, and a lot of life experience, seeing as both my kids are disabled. The work is out there, and doesn't always need an MSW.
What's your "title"? You don't have to mention where you work or anything, but I don't even know what the name of the job that I'm looking for is.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 PM

156 posts, read 447,478 times
Quote:
What's your "title"? You don't have to mention where you work or anything, but I don't even know what the name of the job that I'm looking for is.
I obviously can't speak for Carrie M, but these are generally case management roles. The most common title is case worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment