Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i once received two copies of the same person's resume, one was directly from the indian gentleman, one was from an american staffing agency he had previously contacted

the latter was the one full of BS
Yup.Dont be surprised if
1) the job posting was pasted on the resume.
2) the person coming in for the interview has his resume match the one from the person leaving the position
...word for word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Yup.Dont be surprised if
1) the job posting was pasted on the resume.
2) the person coming in for the interview has his resume match the one from the person leaving the position
...word for word
i was actually disagreeing with you. i thought your post was empty race baiting. there are a lot of good south asian engineers out there, and even more crappy ones. just like white engineers

perhaps the sheer numbers involved with south asians in the marketplace might make it stand out that way to you

instead of that i pointed out a systematic influence (staffing agencies) that affects everyone's behavior regardless of race

Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,154 times
In some states lying about your credentials is a crime.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
no, because if you get caught you can have an offer revoked (often after you have given notice at your current job, withdrawn from consideration for other jobs, etc, leaving you truly screwed) or be fired. it's just not worth the risk in my book.
except if he never got consideration/an offer for the job in the first place your logic is defeated.

This approach in reality is completely acceptable in my eyes, the current climate is rigged with cronyism and hiring outside of merit. I find it as a creative way to provide for yourself, and put the onus on the company for failing to ask enough technical questions to expose you.

If you end up doing the job properly and well, then the means justified the ends and both parties are happy.

I say go for it, life isn't fair and neither do you have to be.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
In some states lying about your credentials is a crime.
Only if you are impersonating a doctor or Police officer or faking a license. Otherwise there are no laws I know of.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
just because something isn't a crime doesn't mean it's morally ok.
Morals depend on the person and the other side of the argument.

If lying feeds your family, then it is immoral to not feed them some would argue.

This is one of the unintended consequeces of the 'melting pot' and the fall of the white majority. Typically, less diverse the population is the more consistent the morals/ethics are across the board and they typically share those morals/ethics.

Since we promote multiculturalism and multiple languages, we are inviting new morals/ethics and those are be taught and expounded upon by those new cultures that are growing in the country.

For example and generally speaking most of the Chinese have no issues with pirated software and movies, which I think is more of a cultural view on something that is not only law, but an ethics question.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
except if he never got consideration/an offer for the job in the first place your logic is defeated.

This approach in reality is completely acceptable in my eyes, the current climate is rigged with cronyism and hiring outside of merit. I find it as a creative way to provide for yourself, and put the onus on the company for failing to ask enough technical questions to expose you.

If you end up doing the job properly and well, then the means justified the ends and both parties are happy.

After what I went through on the job hunt and the violations of every form of moral and ethical conduct I see and read about daily from corporations, and seeing the absolute and compete retardedness and illogic in the hiring process I have no sympathy for companies and no moral outrage for anyone doing just about anything to get hired.

A lot of people on here talk about how important it is to fit in the the company culture. When the company lies and cheats and behaves repulsively and you need a job with them you should act as they do. That is fitting in.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post

i'd rather not get a job offer than get one, quit my job and/or cut other prospects loose, and then lose that job and be left with nothing because of something i did. lies during the application process are the #1 reason that offers are revoked.

i'd also rather get through life on my actual merits but that's just me. i've been employed my entire adult life and i don't have a college degree or any special connections so i reject the idea that the system is so spectacularly rigged. sure, there's unfairness but it's not universal.

anyway, morality aside, there is a very good chance of getting caught when you tell these kinds of lies. that in itself should be a deterrent even if you think it's perfectly fine to lie.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM

213 posts, read 504,107 times
There are several ways of padding your resume that I think can be right or wrong depending on the situation.

For instance, you can inflate your GPA by listing the higher of the overall GPA and your GPA within your major. Whether you should depends on the situation. If doing so highly inflates your GPA and you're applying for a job that puts a lot of emphasis on strong academic standing in its description, then I think you're misrepresenting yourself; it's unfair to the candidates who know they were great students and are looking for a chance for their academic work to pay off. On the other hand, if a job description seems to care just about your degree and work experience and you didn't have a good GPA overall, then you can not list your GPA or you can list the GPA within your major if it's decent.

We're humans. We want to present ourselves in the best way by highlighting our attractive traits and covering up our unattractive ones. That's why people with large foreheads usually grow out their bangs to make their face look better, and guys with muscular bodies wear tight-fitting clothes to show off their physique. I see resumes this way. There's nothing deceptive about detracting attention from the unattractive features of you as a worker. Everyone has their weaknesses and no one is under an obligation to expose those weaknesses.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
i'd rather not get a job offer than get one, quit my job and/or cut other prospects loose, and then lose that job and be left with nothing because of something i did. lies during the application process are the #1 reason that offers are revoked.

i'd also rather get through life on my actual merits but that's just me. i've been employed my entire adult life and i don't have a college degree or any special connections so i reject the idea that the system is so spectacularly rigged. sure, there's unfairness but it's not universal.

anyway, morality aside, there is a very good chance of getting caught when you tell these kinds of lies. that in itself should be a deterrent even if you think it's perfectly fine to lie.

This the part you are not considering, if you get the job via lying and then are able to satisfactorily accomplish the specific job then your merits are the fruits of your labor.

Otherwise you will quickly be found to be a 'fraud' and fired not only because you lied to get the position but you were unable to perform the duties.

Yes, some people will find out you are lying and other will not (which means you won't get a call back for a 2nd interview and the same result is had by not even applying). If someone gives you a chance, you get in with the company and do the job properly I think it was brilliant move to do and exposes the HR recruiter, company policy and everything else surrounding the requirements for that position as being too rigid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment