Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Frome View Post
After three days at the horrible job that I have, I am seriously considering school.

Today, is my day-off. I have been spending my time looking at other possibilities, which could potentially help me.
Good. I'm glad you are exploring options. Nothing like a good dose of reality. It bites, but does pay the bills. Glad it was a day off for you. I was wondering about the posts during the daytime. Now, get off of here and back to following up on your possibilities.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times
I just read your post and it said you had to work or go to school....is there a specific reason those are your only two choices? Sorry, just curious because I work at a correctional facility and when the kids here go on parole, those are their only choices. Or is just a parental rule that was given to you? Because, really, there are more choices than just that, if it's not something parole related.

There are alternatives to school, such as getting certificates, associates, specific trainings, but nothing like a full on college school experience. And I would actually recommend against school if it's not something you want to do. This isn't necessarily true for EVERYONE but I have found that my education is pretty much useless and several of my friends and younger family members make more than I do with just a high school diploma. So really truly think HARD before going to school, it's expensive, and can often lead you nowhere. Experience for your trade, is going to be more important, so even if you have to work at the housekeeping job, find something on the side to do pertaining to what you're interested in, even if it's just volunteer work.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM

61 posts, read 49,375 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Just about anything is better, than the job I'm in right now. Running up and down 4 different floors all day long, with only 30 minutes for lunch is physically exhausting.

My only requirement when considering school, is that I take mechanically related classes. As I stated before, there was a great sense of comradery between me and the other guys when I worked as an apprentice building engineer. I hope to repeat the experience by taking classes with like-minded men who are interested in the same field as I am.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-23-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
So you want to be an operating engineer but you don't want to go to school? Are you aware that many people in the field have degrees, me being one of them. Are you aware that your movement within the industry could be hinged on you getting an education.

Other options are certification within an industry approved program. Here is a list of certification programs that you may want to look into:

AFE: http://www.afe.org/

BOMA: http://www.boma.org/Pages/default.aspx

IFMA: http://www.ifma.org/

Degree programs list http://www.ifmafoundation.org/accredited-degree/

You are young. No reason to get depressed about this phase of your life. Look at the options available to you. The list is a fragment of the available resources that you can find within the industry.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Just about anything is better, than the job I'm in right now. Running up and down 4 different floors all day long, with only 30 minutes for lunch is physically exhausting.

My only requirement when considering school, is that I take mechanically related classes. As I stated before, there was a great sense of comradery between me and the other guys when I worked as an apprentice building engineer. I hope to repeat the experience by taking classes with like-minded men who are interested in the same field as I am.
Just remember, like-minded WOMEN also may be in your classes. While your field of interest may be predominantly male, there are women in there too, so get use to it.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Just remember, like-minded WOMEN also may be in your classes. While your field of interest may be predominantly male, there are women in there too, so get use to it.
This is/and most likely will always be a male dominated field.

I doubt any women can troubleshoot VAV boxes, clean boilers, work with pneumatics, run chillers, etc....

This is a man's job.

The title; ""Engineering"", can refer to many things.

There may be some woman who are chemical engineers, biomedical engineers ,etc.. However I doubt any know how to do the things that I am trying to learn.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:

There might be some women in the class and also in these jobs. Fewer women than men, but there will be some women here and there.

Just like software development...it's mostly men but there are women in the field also.

You might even have some women instructors in trade school.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You might even have some women instructors in trade school.
I doubt it.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I doubt it.
Please keep an open mind. Remember history, Rosie the Riveter kept America going during WW II.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Agreed,

I simply do not want to get stuck with the HK job. I want to find something that is related/indirectly related to my field of interest.

I also have NO INTEREST in school at all.
Figure out what you want to do, and make a plan to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment