Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

OP, my advice to you would be to become really good friends with your boss' boss. Watch your back and make sure that you are liked (and respected) by people higher on the ladder than your boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,832 times
My advice is:
-Be professional at all times
-Do your job the best you know how
-Stay focus on your tasks
-Try to be helpful to others
-Stay away from all office politics
-Don’t get distracted by work unrelated things
-Ignore trouble makers, back stabbers, gossip suckers, etc.
-Ignore gossips, rumors, trash talk of others, etc.
-Be polite at all times
-Keep a smile if you could

You see, to some inferior workers office politics is like a cup of coffee, a pack of gum, or a cigarette break which provides desperately needed distractions that these people crave just to get thru an otherwise unbearably monotonous boring work day. It is a complete waste of productive time. It is totally juvenile but unfortunately it is a reality of everyday office life. Some silly monkeys will go out their ways to make one feel bad. I wouldn’t pay much attention to it if I were you. Work smart.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Document. Document, document, document, lol.

I was in a hostile work environment early in my career. Bad situation. I was working for two bosses, with equal power. One realized the other was a psycho. But nothing either of us could do about it, as it was an appointed position in an academic setting.

I consulted w/ an attorney. He advised I keep a daily diary of all events - i.e, instructions f/ the one "bad" boss, all interactions and conversations (and irrational demands, as well as contradictions to what he had earlier instructed me to do or handle, etc).

When possible, I made sure someone else witnessed (heard or saw) the conflicts (being berated by the "bad" boss, temper tantrums, etc).

I would suggest you do the same type of thing, insofar as the problems impact your work and mental well-being.

A diary that is consistently kept up-to-date is recognized as a legal document in a labor hearing.

And then there are smart phones, and video . . . my mac will record meetings/discussions . . . you should always announce that you want a record of meetings so you can make sure you understand all the protocols and can review the creative decisions and/or directives again in the future. You can even offer to send copies to everyone, lol. Just be sure to tell the group you are recording the meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment